Anybody Tried These?

JaySwear

http://cgi.ebay.com/Birds-Inlay-Stickers-WS-Fret-Markers-For-Guitar_W0QQitemZ150345969452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2301516f2c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_3775wt_1167

basically it's a sticker thats supposed to look like a pretty bad*ss inlay. i'm a little skeptical about them not coming off during playing. i feel like a good bend into the edge of a sticker and it's a goner.

but does anybody have any experience with these sorts of things? could be very cool

lots more colors in the sellers store, by the way

I guess it depends on what you want shining on your guitar; inlay or stickers???
Personally, I would hold out to get the real deal instead of a cheap imitation!!!  :doh:
I would rather have no dots than stickers; but, that's just me!
Good luck in what ever you decide!

I am a diehard dot inlay guy anyways, but i really don't like the idea of having stickers anywhere on my instrument, let alone on the fretboard, trying to be an inlay.

It's a cheap vibe, and obviously you would see how the sticker is not flush with the fretboard wood.

I have seen some cheap guitars with painted-on black block inlays, but even paint is better than a sticker.

maybe so. i think i'll try these. i mean, at $6 what do i have to lose? if they don't fall off i'll be happy  :icon_biggrin: and if so i didn't spend too much. i've put tons of my money into my project, so i don't have a whole lot to splurge on cool stuff like custom inlays  :-\

BUT there's a decal i really like for the headstock. i can't see a whole lot going wrong with that, so maybe i'll try that instead. until i get the money to send that out and have a real live inlay put on it, which i do plan on doing

and if anybody knows where to find a PRS-like headstock let me know! i've been thinking about maybe ordering a variax and trying my hand at sanding away part of the headstock. i can see it working, but i'd be a bit worried about sanding off part of an expensive neck.

tfarny said:
Uh, yeah, let us know if it makes a chinese squier look just like a PRS...

Dude!  Stop trying to make your axe something it will never be !!! 
Concentrate on making what you have be as good as it can be!!!
Good Luck :headbang1:

something that just occurred to me though, once the novelty of having bird inlays is gone the residue might not be. oh well, no fake birds. they definitely look pretty awesome though, especially the ones with binding. i guess there's a reason PRS's cheapest guitar with these is about $2000 or more.

bbl4ck said:
tfarny said:
Uh, yeah, let us know if it makes a chinese squier look just like a PRS...

Dude!  Stop trying to make your axe something it will never be !!! 
Concentrate on making what you have be as good as it can be!!!
Good Luck :headbang1:

haha don't worry, i've never owned anything squire and don't plan to.

just wish it didn't cost a small car to have something so custom on a guitar. i guess there's a reason it's "custom" work and people make big money doing it

Well I'm sure they look good from a distance.  But they'll look like stickers up close, and they'll probably get in the way of your playing.

Get the real thing instead... There's a guy named Bryan England who does lots of custom inlays... there are one or two on the board.  Midirose's rose-inlaid neck is from him.

dbw said:
Well I'm sure they look good from a distance.  But they'll look like stickers up close, and they'll probably get in the way of your playing.

Get the real thing instead... There's a guy named Bryan England who does lots of custom inlays... there are one or two on the board.  Midirose's rose-inlaid neck is from him.

makes me wish i still had a $100 guitar laying around, they definitely look cool

and do you have a link? i've been looking around for somebody to do some inlay stuff. maybe not frets, but the headstock

EDIT: www.custominlay.com

I'd sure like to try doing my own inlay someday, on srap wood of course to start, what a bonus it would be to be able to do inlay work, and do it well.

I'm sure it's all a matter of practice patience persistance, 

I agree wholeheartedly!  Inlay work adds such beauty and value to any instrument.  There is definately great craftsmanship and artistic talent that makes a sucessful inlay artist. 
However, many members of this forum obviously have at least some of these talents and could likely do decent work on their own crafted instruments.
I myself, have done woodwork, metal work, glass blowing, rug weaving, and design work.  Surely I could put together some basic inlay craftsmanship.  You have got my mind a pumpin'.  Stay tuned for future pics.  :eek:ccasion14: 

i've thought the same thing... i'd LOVE to be able to do it, but i don't think it would be worth the cost of the materials for me to find out i'm terrible at it  :sad1:

Hey Jayswear,
I know you are into the PRS birds.  I thought of you when I came across this site while searching for some ebony wood knobs.  Besides the knobs, they have a lot of other cool hard to find stuff. 
An inexpensive way to add some nice quality birds to your build!

You can check them out at:

http://www.crazyparts.de/index.php

dsc06855_579.jpg

dsc05590.jpg

dsc05593.jpg

dsc06599.jpg

dsc06596.jpg

dsc06597.jpg

wow! those are some awesome looking parts... i actually ended up ordering some wooden knobs, pickup rings, and a 3 way toggle switch cap at www.pickuprings.com so i'm all set... but these knobs are making me think twice. thanks for the site! i'm headed there now!

Back