ANNOUNCEMENT: Gibson styled products

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
If you wanna get technical, when did it become an Short Horn?  It's a Les Paul.
It was originally a Les Paul, but Mr. Les Paul did not like the guitar and didn't want his name on it. So Gibson changed it in the 60's, so yes it is an S G, not a Les Paul.. :dontknow:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I wonder what they'll replace the Les Paul with.

Wow, what da ya know, another Les Paul!!!

Fender and Gibson have done nothing to expand their product line other than by simply re-branding the same instruments.  Sure, perhaps they've revised some of their building techniques, but it's still Strats, Tele's, LP's, Short Horn's, and 335's.  The Ultra 339 is one of the few recent advances, but that's about it.

They've tried at times without much success. It seems not many people really want to buy anything but traditional guitars from any of the traditional companies.

drewfx said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I wonder what they'll replace the Les Paul with.

Wow, what da ya know, another Les Paul!!!

Fender and Gibson have done nothing to expand their product line other than by simply re-branding the same instruments.  Sure, perhaps they've revised some of their building techniques, but it's still Strats, Tele's, LP's, Short Horn's, and 335's.  The Ultra 339 is one of the few recent advances, but that's about it.

They've tried at times without much success. It seems not many people really want to buy anything but traditional guitars from any of the traditional companies.

Exactly. Guitarists and terms like change/new/evolving just don't go together. That's the reason every company (from cheap to boutique) are copying their designs. They are not all lazy or thiefs, they just have to do it to start & stay in business.

Gibson has more than twice of Fenders history. They have produced many different models. See how guitarists welcomed the V & X-Bird when they came out. Now they are classics, back then they were weird. Weird were also the tele & strat in the beginning. Unfortunately guitarists want a lot of time to appreciate new guitars.

I remember last time with the EVH model how quickly they were sold although they were discounted and the bodies were less than ten. I'm curious to see how long it will take for the last one to sell, especially the expensive LP's. Like last time the companys habit of routing the showcase bodies for bridge/pickups will save me money.

Finally, their official announcement says Gibson style products. For me it means bodies + headstocks.

PS: I see there is auto-censorship now. Even the names of the Gibson models cannot be mentioned anymore in this forum :dontknow:

Kind of makes a mockery of the so-called "unofficial" status of the forum when Warmoth's legal issues prevent you from saying "SG" on here. Gibson doesn't even have a trademark on that term, hence Yamaha selling their guitars as "SGs" too.

Jumble Jumble said:
Kind of makes a mockery of the so-called "unofficial" status of the forum when Warmoth's legal issues prevent you from saying "SG" on here...

Exactly. First time I see this in a forum. Unless it's not unofficial anymore...

The other thing is the filter has unintended consequences. Any time the letters s and g follow each other without an intervening space, even if it's in the middle of a word, it substitutes the replacement text. We've already seen it with some other words in the filter, so for example you can't name places like Sweet Water music without distorting the word to defeat the filter.

It's all very petty and pointless and accomplishes nothing. 

WTF .... Short Horn  :dontknow:  Might as well call it, 'Little Dick'    :laughing7:

I'll never ever call mine a Short Horn, when I'm built like a donkey  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_jokercolor:

Well it looks like someone has deleted all my pic's of my 'Yella Terra'  .... yes - gee with 2Tek.
Plus changed the name to 'Short Horn'
Well if thats the case .... you might as well delete the whole post !!
Pointless without pic's  :tard:

All thou it's still up on Warmoth facebook page .....
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151411942093289&set=a.498916473288.261939.89032733288&type=1&theater

Funny thou my F-Bird and Vee is still showing up  :icon_scratch:

If we can't post pic's direct on the forum of those builds .....
Can we at least post a direct link to Photobucket somewhere, to our building / finished, builds  ?

Dose this mean that my yes - gee can't go in GOTM now ?

Next I'll loss my GOTM Emubird that's in my signature below  :doh:

I'm  :blob7:  glad now I got rid of my 61' re-issue ..................................................... Take that HJ  :cool01:

It's kinda fun to play with though

Odin was the ruler of Asgard
:laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11:

It's probably a good thing not many words in English use the letters S and G together. Imagine if Gibson made a guitar called the TH and that was censored on the forum... :doh:

This makes it difficult to talk about "S G D" bass pickups, or paste in various URLs for best bass gear dot com.

Jumble Jumble said:
Kind of makes a mockery of the so-called "unofficial" status of the forum when Warmoth's legal issues prevent you from saying "SG" on here. .

I disagree. It is unofficial in the way that Warmoth employees use it for direct discussion in a non-official capacity. But they are still constrained in discussing legal matters, which is probably why Wyliee and RobR and the rest of the crew have not been giving their personal opinions on the Gibson thingy.

Issues aside, I am still happy that this forum is here.

Back