AFTER BURNER

thanks. just trying to gauge what they might charge for a custom firebird headstock in the smaller firebird one (theirs is the mogo-monolith sized version, which I think is a bout as aesthetically pleasing as a sledge hammer.) the firebird has similar angled cuts to it. (My idea: pau on pau neck, ebony veneer, firebird cut, voila! a completely raw, yet correctly colored firebird neck.)

If I would have just heard "strat shape with a flame paint job", there's no way I would have been able to conceive of the awesomeness of this.  :headbang1:

keeper006 said:
If I would have just heard "strat shape with a flame paint job", there's no way I would have been able to conceive of the awesomeness of this.  :headbang1:

Thanks again everybody.  :eek:ccasion14:

Congrats on the August GOTM.  Kinda fitting, given the name of your band.  :icon_thumright:

Hey DBU,

I will have to say that in 17 years of spraying your guitar was they most enjoyable and beautiful pieces I have done! I love it when you guys throw those curve balls upstairs and I finally really get to paint with inspiration. I will have to admit I took some pictures of that piece during the process of painting it. Can't remember how many I have or at what steps but you are more than welcome to have them!

Keep those awesome paint schemes coming makes finishing a vacation vs the 9-5 routine.

Truly thankful, Ty

Ty said:
Hey DBU,

I will have to say that in 17 years of spraying your guitar was they most enjoyable and beautiful pieces I have done! I love it when you guys throw those curve balls upstairs and I finally really get to paint with inspiration. I will have to admit I took some pictures of that piece during the process of painting it. Can't remember how many I have or at what steps but you are more than welcome to have them!

Keep those awesome paint schemes coming makes finishing a vacation vs the 9-5 routine.

Truly thankful, Ty

Hey Ty,

Love the paint work. I'm always trying to think outside the box. I know I drive RobR crazy at times with my ideas, LOL.

I would love to see the pics. I'll PM you my email address.

I got to say, your work is fantastic!!  :eek:ccasion14:

Ty, DBU, not trying to muddy the thread, but how custom are we allowed to get?  I've been told "no" more often than not about custom colors and routing options, even if it's just reproducing an existing off the menu showcase finish.  As a customer, it often feels as though the custom options are on a list, then I see a breathtaking piece like this and the finish guy welcoming any challenge.

I haven't used any custom colors. All my Warmoths were finished using Warmoth's normal color options. So in reality, I haven't really gone too far out of the norm for Warmoth. The masking of the body for the flames is something Warmoth does on special request, when they have time to do it, timing and patience being the key.

I would guess custom colors are something Warmoth shys away from because of variables in trying to match what you want. Special finishes in the show case are already sprayed, so what you see is what you get. But trying to match or duplicate it again on a custom order may be tricky or impossible if it's a "one off" piece.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Custom colors, custom finish.  I was using them synonymously, but finish more accurately expresses what I meant.

In the conversations I've had with Ty, he's game for any challenge. The biggest hurdle is getting it approved by management. Time is money. AFTER BURNER was an expensive finish due to multiple trips into the spray booth.

Death by Uberschall said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Custom colors, custom finish.  I was using them synonymously, but finish more accurately expresses what I meant.

In the conversations I've had with Ty, he's game for any challenge. The biggest hurdle is getting it approved by management. Time is money. AFTER BURNER was an expensive finish due to multiple trips into the spray booth.
Oh, come on, seriously. I could have done it in one shot...jeeze.. :doh:

Back