Adjusting Leather Strap Length Question

davegardner0

The brown strap is my preferred length, and the first photo shows the way I usually adjust the length on leather straps in order to keep them from slipping and getting longer while playing. I really like this black strap that I bought, but it's super super long. In the photo it's all the way as short as it goes, but it's still way longer than the brown strap. If I try adjusting it shorter by pulling the narrow part through more loops before fastening, the adjusting slot part of the wide leather section just bunches up and it slips back to a longer length.

Any thoughts on how to get it shorter in a way that it will hold the adjustment? I know I could use one of the upper strap button holes on the narrow part, but I don't really want the excess strap sticking out past the strap button. Should I cut it off shorter? Or is there another option that you guys like?

If you shorten it, you would need to stitch around the cut end, overlapping into the existing stitching so it doesn't separate.

You could just use a slotted hole that is more to your liking and then bring the tip back up and attach it to the strap button so it doesn't dangle and get in the way.

Alternately, what does the other end look like? Can you shorten that end?

Those slots where the strap passes through itself are adjustments. If you pull the strap all the way back to where it threads through itself, then move it down and pull it through at the next slot, that would get you about half of what you are looking for.

I don't think I did a good job of explaining earlier, but here's what doesn't work too well. It gets all bunchy and longer for whatever reason. I even tried threading both the "out" and "in" sections of the narrow part through the holes but the same thing happens.

AS far as the other end, it's got a single hole and some pretty embossing on the leather so I don't think I can do much there unfortunately.

I always hate cutting my straps, too. But, to me, they're NFG if they're too long, so whaddaya gonna do? Cut the little rascal and make it work.

davegardner0 said:
I don't think I did a good job of explaining earlier, but here's what doesn't work too well. It gets all bunchy and longer for whatever reason. I even tried threading both the "out" and "in" sections of the narrow part through the holes but the same thing happens.
Do this then take it to a shoe repair shop and have them put a stitch line across the end where it slips through itself to keep it from bunching up.

You know you don’t have to weave it in and out on each slot.  Put it in on one, take it out the other. 

I have a number of straps like this.  One I did have to weave in and out each slot to get it to my desired length ( each in and out takes about 1/8”).  Yes I desired that additional 3/4 inch (6 slots). Had that bunching you show.  Hang a Guitar from it and play a couple gigs, no more bunching. 

Back