Actually out of the box...

Paul_in_KC

Howdy all.

Well - I don't have any actual pics yet - but my avatar is the mock-up for what I ordered (from the Warmoth build app).

Quilt Maple on Chambered Swamp Ash. Forearm and tummy cuts. Aqua Marine Dye with transparent blue back. Pearloid top binding. Standard Tele pickups, neck (720 pocket mod) and controls - with back route.

KXOlvVPSRpmBDbSFtA0z2zIoS1Xp3LN39lgtCjubUVenkzhR5xsxO_r0_5JWrd0iWwA6_1uUs4knByYW9aAtUITvlkQmB6sHLJXBh9hVOj-HlC-iERv7T8YPYytMc4BiFK4d1khjv9P-yeiW62RCy8jdjmeSRyRlu7Gtp8JEE6edg78gqiDp7Z7xmRZ5Z-X8xCrQM5Wk3FFusASivnq1jAAYluyY8JO9TQ5237hiI-XAYr_cZPchC2jcySoi0JoFOdzFm0wqgMqlZ0R1SXecgEYLFcl_z7r1c6_igIF2WBIPvcdm-NAmcf0M137SpDVNuI77LjYiOWD9qAf1yf7jKgTi-bJWRQ7c17-BMgj1HGH82Am1ACOQ6Ok587PHM-bZt2zRejIgtTYlhcthloAaeDpOCDIOSPIuLWi--kOxRDdc3MFfr5V50nC3MiR34E1ERi3llz7P6gDdrXHOzfVT8bensVibHa2Y_Ytbwfi1hIU0CCmRDYtVrVjhXXl7rhNSfi6DSldDoL-SyVQZvahp5b8UQj9-DP1y40IFFIYoWa0JY5j_U_ZUcYRPiHlmKStef7UCcJwCx5IYDYZ-cJblm2kkUKAHPJZvWkVUp6DkMb4rSRaP2aDK5WKb=w322-h354-no

It's going to be delivered tomorrow and I can hardly wait.

-Paul

I'll pile on with the "looking forward to pics" crowd. That should be just stellar! Is there a neck yet?

DangerousR6 said:
Nice...but I hate it when they do a burst on such a beautiful top... :doh:

I'm not sure, but I don't think you get much choice any more with those tops. It's either burst it or bind it. The high-end beauty tops are laminates now, so you have to hide the edge somehow.

Edit: Just tried to get a finish on a fancy-topped Tele and it let me do that without forcing a burst or binding, so... never mind.

Cagey said:
DangerousR6 said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think you get much choice any more with those tops. It's either burst it or bind it. The high-end beauty tops are laminates now, so you have to hide the edge somehow.

Edit: Just tried to get a finish on a fancy-topped Tele and it let me do that without forcing a burst or binding, so... never mind.
I figure most of them probably have some sort of defect that is hidden by the burst... :dontknow:

Verne Bunsen said:
I'll pile on with the "looking forward to pics" crowd. That should be just stellar! Is there a neck yet?

Yes - I bought a new USA Fender American Standard neck with Rosewood fingerboard. But I am replacing the plain white fret markers with abalone. I hand picked the abalone to complement that aqua marine dye finish. I'm not completely finished with the neck, but almost. Just have some final polishing and then lemon oil.

Hope to post some pics tomorrow evening - but I'm playing hockey tomorrow night - so it might be pretty late.

-Paul

DangerousR6 said:

I hope my top is similarly beautiful.

I know what you mean, but I like the burst.

I have a 2004 Les Paul Std. LE in Manhattan Midnight Blue that could be this Tele's cousin.

T3BRBmzcO-gXuVQKgllxMRm0xsK0u8LDSu17C4xlmipw2UTV-bKLa9RYtWCb2Kmr0f0iKimRVB-7GIk92w-u0gxtQdeiuez5itGlTzUgdJgYw3hrab9sv4TK_8Ii-M9BZ8A6PIrkvGRlqtcDhkGABIwQeVtlaBHPRDJHwMynlIoAjyxlk38_0qAFNwdwTqi0cA_tHW-Vgq64D9I-bx3JhxQHF4N8-6er9VMhXKv7AwBlZfg6VynJrs8_iNY8nyXrqhf-PBkcfNPT4uOa7Brb53Ux0KXjeCo5K_D-M2Trbo_f2GbuB2nxtiFMydACupdbJGA7X-HfH-9auTKFFarOn3Mg7I7sUY4Y3cHeSeWMITi991wx9nTbau3MSSbkekkyDbGYI7ULhMA0AiukOK9VzrSI04QoEU_TGUFKbLhN31Yht4E4J0MQINYq1h2PsTzyEMAB4H5z6fW-4Y9MnLDv9EgiqVYa8htNmYW3xJexobAvTGtCBrCCeCUsakf8BdwWFZwikoMJ3Y3rfYFY8n1w0udCvwlf9111Ow2HxpCt0y1zYOwgiCt8XsT7cRxnHLZ5Ce9gn54rWP3I3NgjUwBoMVQFIJqq0XAChq3Zu1gPDp6KIkBeIUX7fJcB=w410-h855-no

Also have this 1995 Strat Plus-Deluxe in Transparent Blue Burst that doesn't look out of place with the other two.
Albeit it's wood isn't as fancy.

zvHyHyR_0Q7TmGHlV-DSqT7p94xG7cPDVd283EgtzaV-ZPGK1LUMGadRCbwU61wDoORilXjZkJ01nsPRjlhXBB46HyKmQlNimaLx2Vk9KMzvtFd6RZDAz31Orcs-YV1K4Dnw6bmRS76EPAO12tDTk1_l5FRnBwxijepq1OQxgno-NwxRZtGo9L7I24ptuT9t2TAOUltKxJ5AiaEu3ET1cbAdqZRU4ZRYhcviUVvWIPScl8pcQL0R3OeokiWUP_BrjrY1uUXjXuVoBSdg3d4aRJ04DDvBhPkzewfAPOUc32D0i7vX3sP8viclQj_JqEOvl9UXJWb5PCyOmsCrlD8xR2giXieWVw5Sy2uSAYnsKaJAD3AfzwOUWkIMLQzSAgmNtECb1ehcMUG3ayDairGoRdQjdENpKhjgVcbGdT2AGNWtHdQIg7ZGHxf63019XiiNMN2krilwids-L-iQllmI0RghW6FqNY9IhDtKsiAYIRQhOt8CuQFIYZyIH-el07p5LfgK2zHNx3s1-1a2p5dpCJFNejxWbOTPAnm9UxzbhgGlIaPFrOPga-ipg7_pHFWBQmstYSuBf0B3sE3GoqZJsV2MCM8AHaJ5qaX7v9Uv4XFCGd7bHxhrLMuN=w714-h535-no

Verne Bunsen said:

Here's a pic of the neck. Not done, but you can get the idea. When I finish with the polish and scratch cover the Rosewood will be darker and more even and the abalone should pop a bit more...

49b6IUiSZKglOaiTXjFo_UwcBFInV3AJbi49g5-dp31o6L7eCDC5m_52b3TeVbKbgEJoHVS45sqtJtvg2crIOAtKwCt_lZEMGHo2Zo9cnkSuu1YW0uDZDGhiH_KwHJTmXHD25jQqZXmJOOoq9WgQ-j7t50Ic72N8cl7ikKj6wy8dySj_lU-EtHqqZbWWxlUkeaSGlHbNy53OBNRmoXY1Ee-YrpTCTOacOxnFoDo1eE5YQ-yw24Bw3lBWue0cO4pJP51Dc1XdGoMkIS9RaCJHcbsSgHFm5AhEvZv8UmGvYSPvZ4kph2pDB5odFevYnQScb3aXTS7zA1wgSaT1hOJauGVukcap8JqslebR6mEMav_YRe62pQnTrPULD5mf7jKfhoAT4mv-7tkoMdkFJYiGu4fkfGuz44e9ANvpiIQX-MxSo5Zutg_m8XBfzounnw4xrGkMicbu5JKNjnJ_YqlqFTMxJKgYxoRA-cEKQItEies8k1wrh31th40pTW8Gtf8StXeu8jnxHc_82EpkR-1L1rX9vudJ3KkY4Qm2uF5XebmEtvBBflvvqqUQbgbln03GrEtS0XMF5qWwtzM0nN2EXvi9oqcBYm-ESt9pJonfuH6rfAYiMt5YR2bG=w1555-h526-no

-Paul

Verne Bunsen said:
That looks great. Did you replace the fret markers with the frets installed? How was that project?

Yes - I replaced the inlays with the frets in place.

Not too hard - but not super easy either. It takes a little bit of nerve to start drilling out inlays on a new USA Fender neck. Especially when it's the first one you have ever done. :icon_smile:

I reckon I'll post some picks of the whole project here including the inlays as I start getting it together.

-Paul

Paul_in_KC said:
It takes a little bit of nerve to start drilling out inlays on a new USA Fender neck. Especially when it's the first one you have ever done. :icon_smile:

I reckon I'll post some picks of the whole project here including the inlays as I start getting it together.

I reckon it would! Nice work. I'd enjoy a thread on the project if you did one.

Verne Bunsen said:
Paul_in_KC said:
It takes a little bit of nerve to start drilling out inlays on a new USA Fender neck. Especially when it's the first one you have ever done. :icon_smile:

I reckon it would! Nice work. I'd enjoy a thread on the project if you did one.

So, here's a thread on the Telecaster Discussion Page ReIssue forum (TDPRI.com).
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tele-fret-marker-project.753000/#post-7779391

This shows more pics of the setup and removal - as well as a link to a good source reference video.

Will probably consolidate a bit of everything in this forum though. As most of the assembly is yet to be done. But the neck project was probably the largest individual task.

I am going to install the Fender Micro Tilt hardware in the body - so that feature of the neck will be functional. I have Lindy Fralin "stock Tele" pickups to install. It will be wired as a late model American Deluxe with the S-1 switching in the volume knob (for series-parallel mode). I have Fender locking tuners. I decided to go with the Full Contact Hardware Tele bridge. Not traditional Tele - but I expect the super solid design to add some sustain. Plus the individual string adjustments for height and intonation appear to be awesome - plus everything can be locked down once it's set.

Going to paint the pickup and control cavities with shielding paint. She's not going to be dead silent with the Fralin pickups - but I'm going to do everything that I can to help minimize the hum.

-Paul

Okay - here it is. Actually out of the box...

KBpci_W-v4WI33VVzQDNNPGAMN8jjFsIDuPk12JeNV8YpFCl90O3M3JZNUE9AI6_x2ElFQN7Jw1YOSzlQx1PxVq6GXGoDwa3hVNCU8SBhWhlI_3rRJ60EGlE9gfiM8sHtNkwH6mkAgaLxK_sczjiddJYkfFUQlQ47zv2E6NEK2DoYzL-179eBVPpLHFkW_JUGCPwhsWJf_VJh_DgaN12X5xoSD4Jqec3cWVfEuFYo9aapOEyOMYbVohtI-YOp4-HdBFhEH1MvApztBc7jIHmkkgZ9czN_bA5YJVB1za4YWUPXWrmLSZW9rz1PQJKCPxG1gfWFFwW9lDL0QAZz6BQ1N7hafusndQ3ot_vRThpk2wlsReiTMAMDzh3hTrp3aNNY3oqhTCo6xCPuEzLBXvj1fa-S9_kHrID6IHYBaIYmVOymoFWCOsrSfQUcTK74tvafLXmRDn-zfZJszqtM-3jdHMjTV95dUTG4StSjayDbvPHx03dYMf7FQdRqJ9bkmb55xveDPviin5aBCAeL7p2ZgBqwBiQFTiOvzxxf9Rvd00SqWNp5-v-ZrGWsyGHAHnnTyg-S_xW7-QssfSWtBAnEB-aHPPuWodnLm3byo2qGNNAhW3-ZCRaVpTH=w1555-h632-no

Q8n7cRPDtHvO1e4ex_QNodMXuIDUxxMhxbQ3yUVEVJThY5slGRnFJtw7YtN803j9UvOusibifCZjiKZa1-7-3VSxkO8J3rkZrlwst8Sh_6Wo2FB5k_jtdm9kvN2pyAlCgPGKQNc2HQKS2WO1lquUpVTZfAWVn85TgSaqCGvHkLkyIbGTIrSyADkTMkgHYau4RFg2xS4tasdN1Cm7OQiT5keXXEdu31_99i4ZVNhYd_Jq4dAdkHfo6zdJ4VbnR57dBdEJNSxHq0Dpp1C-xo3_k2LwaAARMQDsCuyudiX6CHvKomHlxdwF3ikUlPry-bgY7dkx2NiaLY5wF0H_Cw0E7a2A_K-axjjHWNqveGkTOu0yYofXLHRcdLAxm8lcT6Fp0-vYRpAJu0KoQpwHITd0VKBjKEJFGiktmm1NcfgQjq-Fx0P77ePW4NDr98vLLkHwBxiMIA9bVlKLJg6XhVSKzrGfG84Q6xUiFFluSlIw5D9ZOHtfAR7bwkJ1-Y_XebpeP9BL72hvt0gbBUlHvPAorGAbQVgZGkTqKGygY7UftvOLfKca6w6AG6F5vBYSieSJbPaQPn2EFrn3UyVoZ67Dtlg2XwchhTy_qMykPOVXCF4H-PtnxxGar7TF=w720-h949-no

Not exactly an ugly duckling - but a bit disappointing compared to the mock-up.  :-\  I know those things vary - but the colors seem a LOT different to me.

I think I'll have to stare at it a bit more and see if it grows on me.

I'm sure some folks would probably prefer this to the mock-up, but I was expecting more of a burst with the heavy dark edge. Which would make it look more like the Manhattan Midnight Blue finish from Gibson.

What do you guys think?

-Paul

That's how I would pic aquamarine more than your mock up. I thought you mockup was much more blue. 

TBurst Std said:
That's how I would pic aquamarine more than your mock up. I thought you mockup was much more blue.

True - but needles to say - as I was choosing a finish, I was basing my selection on how they presented it - rather than what they called it.

I'm sure I will probably adjust to the difference - and learn to love it.

As I say, not an ugly duckling for sure - just not what I was expecting.

-Paul

I'm like'n it! To me, at least from the photos you posted, it looks very much like the LP's Manhattan Midnight Blue. (But I can tell you from great experience, I've never seen a blue like that in Manhattan at midnight except maybe from the neon lights at some bar.)

Colors vary for many reasons, including variations in the color of the underlying wood. I know when I ordered my JM body, based on the builder, I expected a much lighter color to the clear gloss on flame maple. The color I got was much more amber, but still a great piece, I'm more than satisfied with Warmoth's choice of top and the finish. Give it a few days, I'm sure you'll love yours too!
:icon_thumright:

Paul_in_KC said:
I think I'll have to stare at it a bit more and see if it grows on me...

...What do you guys think?

You're absolutely right, I think you should get rid of it ASAP. I'll PM you my address....
:icon_biggrin:

Back