About time for something new/unique guys...

Syntheticocean

Well, I think it is. I've seen a lot of strat/vip/LP copies and only have seen 2 of these.

Warmoth Z Body
Mahogany/Quilted Maple

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

Warmoth Neck
Mahogany/Ebony
22 Frets
No Inlays

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

The body will be dyed black, with a blue top. Neck will be dyed black with a black lacquered face. All black hardware. You guys have any comments/suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

I'm digging the streaky ebony - is that Macassar ebony?

As for the body:  Is the plan to dye the back black, or to stain it, or to just paint it?  Dye on mahogany seems like it could be problematic, or at least perhaps not the right tool for the job.  In any case, good for you on stepping away from the generic strat/lp/vip experience.

Bagman

bagman67 said:

As for the body:  Is the plan to dye the back black, or to stain it, or to just paint it?  Dye on mahogany seems like it could be problematic, or at least perhaps not the right tool for the job.  In any case, good for you on stepping away from the generic strat/lp/vip experience.

Bagman

The plan is to dye it. How could it be problematic? I was going to do the entire body blue, but then I realized the mahogany would have to be bleached to really take the color so I ended up deciding to go with black for it.

That's a really nice looking body! For some reason it seems like the Z body is more common (if you could call it that) with basses than guitars. But it looks really cool on a guitar. Good choice.

Syntheticocean said:
bagman67 said:

Bagman

The plan is to dye it. How could it be problematic? I was going to do the entire body blue, but then I realized the mahogany would have to be bleached to really take the color so I ended up deciding to go with black for it.

I don't think of mahogany as being a wood you dye, so much as stain - but then again, I am pretty inexperienced at finishing, so the last thing you should do is take my musings as gospel.  I'm sure you'll research it and do the right thing, and that it will come out awesome.  The Z body is pretty bad@ss.

bagman67 said:
Syntheticocean said:
bagman67 said:

Bagman

I don't think of mahogany as being a wood you dye, so much as stain - but then again, I am pretty inexperienced at finishing, so the last thing you should do is take my musings as gospel.  I'm sure you'll research it and do the right thing, and that it will come out awesome.  The Z body is pretty bad@ss.

Well, tahts the thing. I plan on dying it BLACK. Not blue/red/yellow/green or some other COLOR. I think if I dye it black it will come out... well.... black...

I like this body design, but not sure if I would use it, it's very sci-fi... I like the line on the ebony board, looks like the heart beating line of a dead :laughing7:

Very fun looking build - I personally think the wood looks so good I wouldn't color it, just go clear, but I'd have probably stuck with one of the traditional bodies, too, so I don't really have a leg to stand on there. :)

Based on the battery compartment routing I'm assuming you'll have active EMGs?

Corey P. said:
Very fun looking build - I personally think the wood looks so good I wouldn't color it, just go clear, but I'd have probably stuck with one of the traditional bodies, too, so I don't really have a leg to stand on there. :)

Based on the battery compartment routing I'm assuming you'll have active EMGs?

Yeah. I plan on putting some of the new EMG X's in there. If for whatever reason I don't, at least the box is still routed for the future. If I was going clear I would have chosen a different top wood. I personally think QM and FM are destined to be colorful.

This is something I've often wondered as well. Then again, I didn't get the WGD/Jerry Garcia thing for the longest time either...  :doh:

I've heard (on talkbass.com) it's based on something called the Zeta Prism bass.

Well - seems like I don't know my basses  :laughing7:

Next question ... who got the idea turning that into a guitar guitar ... ?  :icon_jokercolor:

I think Warmoth should incorporate more basslike features to guitarland. Maybe a gecko variation guitar. Laminated necks would be sexy too. :dontknow:

pabloman said:
I think Warmth should incorporate more basslike features to guitarland. Maybe a gecko variation guitar. Lamented necks would be sexy too. :dontknow:

Absolutely. I'd love a 'guitar' gecko body, and a gecko neck with a small 12th fret verticl inlay of the gecko.

My 'other' dream guitar wuld be...

Mahog body, with Flamed Maple top on a 'gecko' body. back would be a clear gloss over the mahogany and emerald green over the flamed maple. All goldhardware. Green abalone gecko inlay.

Back