About time for something new/unique guys...

pabloman said:
Lamented necks would be sexy too

i don't know why, but this typo really made me laugh. Something about lamented necks... it's just so sad

pabloman said:
I think Warmoth should incorporate more basslike features to guitarland. Maybe a gecko variation guitar. Laminated necks would be sexy too. :dontknow:
I would love to see Lam necks :blob7:

Laminated necks are attractive and intriguing, but there's no more effective way to deaden a piece of wood outside of encasing it in tar.  That's one of the reasons lams are normally only seen on show guitars. They're pretty, but that's it.

Cagey said:
Laminated necks are attractive and intriguing, but there's no more effective way to deaden a piece of wood outside of encasing it in tar.  That's one of the reasons lams are normally only seen on show guitars. They're pretty, but that's it.

???
They're used on basses all the time, as it gives you a stiffer neck with better transfer of string energy and sustain.

There are plenty of examples of laminated guitar necks. I'd venture the reason you don't see it too often is labor/cost related. Show guitars....that's funny.

pabloman said:
There are plenty of examples of laminated guitar necks. I'd venture the reason you don't see it too often is labor/cost related. Show guitars....that's funny.

Martin (you've probably heard of their acoustics) have a line of entry-level (for Martin, anyway) guitars with laminated necks. They look kinda neat, but they don't sound like Martins to me.  They are decent guitars, but they are indeed entry-level, sonically.  This is all slightly wide of the point, since in the case of electric guitars, the lumber has a lot less to do with the tone than the electronics do - but as a general rule, plywood necks (even really purty ones sold by reputable manufacturers) are something I'd tend to steer clear of.

Bagman

It's also the first thing you look for in an acoustic top - is it a solid top or laminated? Solid is lively. Ply sounds dead. Although, in the case of tops, it's a cost issue rather than an aesthetic one. Ply is cheap. That's not true of necks, but sonic the effect is the same.

OK guys I an talking of a 5 lam neck, not a plywood style, I love the look of the light dark stripes going all the way down the neck

Cagey said:
It's also the first thing you look for in an acoustic top - is it a solid top or laminated? Solid is lively. Ply sounds dead. Although, in the case of tops, it's a cost issue rather than an aesthetic one. Ply is cheap. That's not true of necks, but sonic the effect is the same.

Actually not, an acoustic's top is acting like a diaphragm and the goal is for it to bend very easily and return without breaking. Necks and solidbodies have totally different requirements from acoustic tops. But this is all a bit OT, so...

Lovely Z body there.  :headbang:

I like that striped look, too. It's very attractive. It's just not a Good Thing on a guitar neck unless your main intent is to create a sophisticated, artistic appearance.

And any time you laminate several layers of wood together, you have "plywood". That is, wood made of several "plies" or layers. The thickness of the plies doesn't change what they are. You might be thinking of the stuff floors, packing crates, exterior sheathing, cabinet carcasses, etc. are made of. That's also plywood, but it's made of much thinner plies to reduce cost as well as add strength and stability. Back 100 years ago, the very lowest of the low end guitars used to use that stuff for bodies, as in some of the pacific rim countries where those things were made it was nearly free relative to solid pieces of even something as common (here) as alder. Of course, they sounded awful, or more to the point, didn't really have a sound. But, if you couldn't afford a Gibson/Fender/Guild, you got a Japanese NoName.

drewfx said:
Cagey said:
Lovely Z body there.  :headbang:

Thank you. I put in a 235$ order with Warmoth for parts, and another 100$ with stewmac for the finishing supplies, and sure enough warmoths order should be here on the 19th, but stewmac for some unknown reason isn't shipping out my order for 2 more weeks. I called and asked why and the woman said thats the average time for them to put the order together  :dontknow: I asked if something was out of stock and she said no. At this rate, the guitar will be ready to play by August..  2099.

what sounds awful are these pickups in this fretlight
you can tell the money went into the lighting system

I'm not surprised. But, at least there's nothing special about them, right? I mean, you can change them to something else if you like and the system will still work, won't it? What kind of pickups are installed now? If they're single-coil sized, you might want to consider the Gordon Food Service Neovins. Those things sound surprisingly good and they're relatively inexpensive.

Yea, but I did not buy this thing for the pickups, oh the neck electronics and the pickups are completely separate.
I got this because I tried one and found it fascinating what you can do with the advanced software and to use with students
I got the blemished 421 for 3 hundred, that is 200 off, I have been playing with it all day, it is a extremely nice system, I think as developed it could be a major force in the teaching kids to play guitar and to read real music. 2 forks up as far as I am concerned

Syntheticocean said:
Wtf are we talking about? I'm so lost.
Synth, we here are all ADD, we get off subject a lot, but then we always........, hey Cagey, how are the cats?

Jusatele said:
Yea, but I did not buy this thing for the pickups, oh the neck electronics and the pickups are completely separate.
I got this because I tried one and found it fascinating what you can do with the advanced software and to use with students
I got the blemished 421 for 3 hundred, that is 200 off, I have been playing with it all day, it is a extremely nice system, I think as developed it could be a major force in the teaching kids to play guitar and to read real music. 2 forks up as far as I am concerned

Interesting. I just checked, and apparently they still have some of those left. Plus, it appears the Guitar Pro 6 software runs on Linux. Hmm...

So, outside of the not-so-stunning pickups, it plays pretty good?

Back