A Potentially Groovy Jazzmaster

I hope so. I am one of "those guys" that always brings 3 or 4 guitars to a gig.  I don't expect the single rail to sound as good as my strat or the Ghosts to sound like my Taylor, but by all accounts, the approximation should be pretty good.

Besides, I think the guys in the band will be happy that I won't try to lump songs in the set according to pickups anymore.  :laughing7:

Perry Combover said:
Besides, I think the guys in the band will be happy that I won't try to lump songs in the set according to pickups anymore.  :laughing7:

Haha! -You do that, too?!

Drilling through the bridge turned out to be a much better looking alternative to visible wires...

I decided to go with a separate jack for the piezos.  I didn't like the idea of running the magnetic pups through the Graph Tech preamp, but I am told it would have sounded just fine.

I had to trim out the route a little more to fit all of the guts:

A lot of wiring, but fairly simple to do:

Perry Combover said:
I had to trim out the route a little more to fit all of the guts:

Not unusual. Many body suppliers strive to provide "vintage correct" bodies right down to the control/pickup routes, which in many cases aren't optimal. You end up with tiny holes to run wires through where you should have channels, or little islands and peninsulas of wood for no reason at all other than the original design would have caused too much work using the tools they had at the time. So, you whip out mean ol' Mr. Router and teach the thing a lesson. Ain't no thang. Gotta let those bodies know who's boss.

What would be a good bit for a Dremel to do the sort of work shown above by hand? I don't have the required anything (space/money) for a proper router and bench, but little bits of wood removal like that should be just fine by hand so long as it's cutting reasonably slowly and doesn't grab.

Just a coarse sanding drum seems like it wouldn't quite be aggressive enough.

For the kind of work pictured you're almost better off using a good sharp chisel if you don't have a router.

I used a Dremel 561 bit multipurpose bit (about $5).  It was pretty quick and easy.  I agree that a good sharp chisel would work well too.

Jumble Jumble said:
...but little bits of wood removal like that should be just fine by hand so long as it's cutting reasonably slowly and doesn't grab.

In my experience, the sanding drums work really well, actually. Slower, but less grabbing and hopping.

I have a little job coming up which includes enlargement of a pick-up cavity. I bought my dad a router attachment (with a set of small dremel-sized router bits) for his dremel on father's day a few years back, and may borrow it for this task. The wood removal will be obscured behind a pickguard, so a good time to experiment with something a bit more "aggressive".

Jumble Jumble said:
What would be a good bit for a Dremel to do the sort of work shown above by hand? I don't have the required anything (space/money) for a proper router and bench, but little bits of wood removal like that should be just fine by hand so long as it's cutting reasonably slowly and doesn't grab.

I don't think I'd try a Dremel on that sort of thing. Too easy to lose control. On the plus side, you'd get to invent a whole slew of new cuss words.

You don't necessarily need a special bench to use a router. If you check the local DIY hardware, you'll probably find they have some perforated/corrugated rubber mat material intended to line tool drawers with. It's cheap, and if you put that under the item you're going to route, it'll hold it in place. So, you could use just about any flat surface available. The only thing to keep in mind is how much mess you'll make, which means maybe the kitchen table isn't a good choice. Routers excel at making mess, and I can't emphasize that strongly enough. I mean, it's amazing. Has to be seen to be believed. So, no kitchen.

Also, an aggressive bite is not necessarily a Bad Thing. Routers bite a LOT harder than any abrasive you might use, but they do it so fast that things don't have time to react to them. It's part of what makes 'em dangerous. They're like a chainsaw - they don't hurt you, they cut off limbs before you know you've screwed up and there's no time to react.

I know you said you don't have one, but you don't need the Router of Doom for occasional use. A cheap Craftsman or DeWalt unit will serve you well for occasional use.

Hmm... What to do...

If you don't know anyone who's willing to let you use a basement or garage to make a mess, perhaps Pelagaard's suggestion is best - use a chisel. Done properly, you can do a lot...

carvedguitar05.jpg

Back