A Modern Contoured Heel

FYI: Warmoth is considering a 40th anniversary model with a contoured heel joint. That would be interesting. My dream build would be an SSS strat with that joint.

That would be a fun summer project. I've built a full-on warmoth... this would be a fun upgrade.

https://www.facebook.com/warmothguitarproducts/photos/a.498916473288/10159844029473289/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• warmoth contoured heel joint.jpg
    warmoth contoured heel joint.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 550
Fender now introduced the "American Deluxe" countoured heel in their newest flagship USA series "American Professional II".

Should Warmoth follow suit then? I'm really looking forward to it. You can do it!!!!  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

rainfall said:
Fender now introduced the "American Deluxe" countoured heel in their newest flagship USA series "American Professional II".

Should Warmoth follow suit then? I'm really looking forward to it. You can do it!!!!  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

The flagship is still the Ultra series as far as I can see.

The contoured heel on the "American Professional II" doesn't look much different to previous Fender contoured heels.

The longstanding Warmoth philosophy is that we stick with Fender's vintage/original USA 2-3/16" neck/heel joint...almost 70 years old and going strong.

IIRC, Fender has now offered three different heel joints on their flagship Strat and Tele. The first two were introduced and then disappeared within a only a few years. How long do you figure this one will last?

I don't know either, but I do know Warmoth doesn't like to invest R&D dollars on replacement parts until we feel confident there is market for them. This new heel joint would probably have to become the standard across all Strat and Tele models before Warmoth would consider it.

The Aaron said:
The longstanding Warmoth philosophy is that we stick with Fender's vintage/original USA 2-3/16" neck/heel joint...almost 70 years old and going strong.

IIRC, Fender has now offered three different heel joints on their flagship Strat and Tele. The first two were introduced and then disappeared within a only a few years. How long do you figure this one will last?

I don't know either, but I do know Warmoth doesn't like to invest R&D dollars on replacement parts until we feel confident there is market for them. This new heel joint would probably have to become the standard across all Strat and Tele models before Warmoth would consider it.

I went to GC today (with a mask, come on) and played a bunch of guitars with rounded neck joints, and warmoth like squared but tapered one. I came away with "I don't care how thick the joint is as long as its curved" as slamming my palm against the square joint suuuuuucks.

So I don't think its as important that you guys do the one fender does to fit fender necks for angled pockets as much as it makes sense to do any contoured neck joint at all that'll work with necks you sell.

I get why you are all like "Why would warmoth do this?" but its more like "everyone else sucks, we want the place that we know makes good guitars do this" :p

I've been contemplating getting an unfinished strat/soloist body and doing it myself, but lacking a workshop, that'd be uh... arduous. I really can't be buying another AZ or *gasp* a Suhr or Mayones Aquila but if you guys had a rounded neck heel I'd place the order in 15 @#$%ing minutes :) :) :)

I've been contemplating getting an unfinished strat/soloist body and doing it myself, but lacking a workshop, that'd be uh... arduous. I really can't be buying another AZ or *gasp* a Suhr or Mayones Aquila but if you guys had a rounded neck heel I'd place the order in 15 @#$%ing minutes :) :) :)

+1. I think Ibanez will expand its AZ lineup next year (esp for me who am lefty). If they do release a 22 fret Japanese guitar with rounded heel joint, I'll buy from them.

Unless Warmoth does the "American Deluxe" heel joint. This heel joint has been in the market since 2004 (source below), only missing in 2016-2019 when the Elite/Ultra came out. But in 2020 they are back again - and now in the "American Standard"/"American Professional II" model, which in my opinion is the most popular/sold model made in USA.

https://stratocasterdesign.com/index.php/2019/07/11/fender-american-deluxe-stratocasters/

NedRyerson said:
I kinda' solve this problem by being a terrible lead guitar player ;)

Yeah I mean, this only really became an issue 25 years into playing when I just sort of grok’d the fretboard all at once and started moving fluidly across the whole thing.

For what it's worth.....

With an unfinished body and neck that doesn't have the side adjust, not too hard to make your own contoured neck heel in the vein of an Ibanez / Charvel.

Hybrid-done-3.jpg

rauchman said:
For what it's worth.....

With an unfinished body and neck that doesn't have the side adjust, not too hard to make your own contoured neck heel in the vein of an Ibanez / Charvel.

Hybrid-done-3.jpg

Yeah, so... I am saying this about my woodworking, not yours, I feel like maybe I’d not succeed.

@Aaron - any idea when November’s 40th anniversary stuff will be announced?

JohnL2112 said:

Nope. It won't be this year....that much I can say with confidence.

The Aaron said:
JohnL2112 said:

Nope. It won't be this year....that much I can say with confidence.

Aaron, thats completely understandable. I imagine you guys must be slammed.

I want to make clear with my participation in this topic and the semi-routed Gotoh trem thread, the only reason these are asks/suggestions, is because you guys are the best. I don’t feel like buying “Some internet Guy ™” balsa wood Ibanez RG body, ya know?

Not a contoured heel but it could lessen the effect of that corner on the palm and could fix the screws coming at an angle on the body while maintaining the standard 4 screw pattern, plus eliminate the possibility for error without the different screw lengths.
Is this one easy to implement, is it copyrighted or is it too weak etc?

edit: Also how would it accommodate angle pockets and 720 mod?

original.jpg

Kostas said:
Ι stopped the suggestions when I realized the brands turtle is not there by accident. No matter the reasons, Warmoth is going slowly. I like what everyone has suggested, if they'll make it happen expect to take at least 20 years for all. I have also realized that Warmoth is a Fender based company, they have paid for the licence and it makes sense to promote Fender and not Ibanez solutions for those who want to modify their guitars. I'm sure they know they are loosing customers for insisting on the existing compound radius or not offering full options for all their necks but like Aaron said there's a lot of work to be done.

BTW...this is the ideal contoured heel (sorry Doug), ergonomically and aesthetically, IMO

My opinion for contoured heel and since we are in 2019... I believe it should be by default and free of charge in all bodies except the vintage strat & tele body. Those who don't want it should pay extra, not the other way around.
No worries Kostas, things change, but luckily not anytime soon, so I'm cool for now....And BTW that heel is cool, I mean who doesn't want a neck heel like that...I would... :glasses9:

Just got linked to this page. As the owner of 2 Warmoth and several Ibanez. I would love to have aanj or some sort of contoured neck. Both of my Warmoth have the neck joint relief, but it isnt as comfortable as my Ibanez past the 15th fret.

Please?

How about now Aaron, the anniversary models have lovely aanj type of a joint, we want it too! :) :headbang4:

Nope, it won't be any time in the foreseeable future.

I would love it too, as well as necks with a spokewheel truss rod, but they aren't slated to happen at any point I can see from where I'm standing now.

Back