A jazzy walk (Warmoth H-S-H / feat. Didgeridoo + Hang)

wolbai

I wanted to make an instrumental song with a (swing)-jazzy vibe ...
In the outro part the song morphs into a Latin-groove, somehow Santana-like (too me).

This songs is also the story how I met on old school friend again. He lives now since 2008 in New Zealand. In the age of 15-20 we were very close. He played drums and I played bass in these days in the mid seventies. Good times ...

I am more than happy that he contributes to this song with his Didgeridoo and Hang. Very inspiring instruments.
It is just amazing how easy it is to set up a "virtual band" across the world nowadays to make music with modern communication and recording technology. We probably will do more music projects together in the future.

A Marshall JVM410 is normally not well known for jazz guitar playing. Well, I think it is more a matter how to dial in a decent jazz guitar tone. The Clean orange channel is a good starting point for that.

For the lead parts I used my Warmoth H-S-H built with Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. I think this guitar can do some jazzy tones as well.

The drums are programmed with Toontrack EZ Drummer 2.
I have chosen therefore the "Basic Jazz Groove" with a Modern Vintage drum kit out of the EZ Drummer 2 basic package. Very nice sounding, transparent and airy beat imo. I recorded the specific EZ Drummer 2 drum kit with a camcorder from the PC screen and incooperate it into the vids virtual band rehearsal room.

Have fun watching / listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zf_ObRQG7M

Your feedback is important to me.

wolbai

Thanks for your well meaning feedback  :icon_thumright:

I am with you: this song is not a pure jazz song.

The beat, the chord progression, the melody line, the brass section, the guitar improvisation part and most of the guitar scales, arpeggios, phrasings and tone in the main song part is more on the jazzy side.
The instruments Didgeridoo and hang and the outro section built bridges to other genres.

In that respect, it is a fusion/cross over song.

Any how, at the end of the day, there is only one question that really matters to me, when it comes to determine a song: Does it sound good or not ?

wolbai

Not exactly my sort of thing, but it's very well done. If I'd done it, I'd be pleased with how it came out.

@Cagey: Great feedback - thx  :icon_thumright:

No plans to become a Jazzer. Deep inside I am that kind of 70s/80s Classic Rock musician.
But I find it always fascinating to through in some cool "irritating" licks into a rock-vibe song. That increases the flavour in the soap.

wolbai

Back