A Bender Telecaster for Bill

Finally I turn my attention to the bender mechanism.  Back in the day, these HipShot benders required quite a bit of 'fettling' to make them work correctly.  This included machining and re-lubing the pivot point, modifying the stop bumpers, and some mods to the pull tower to prevent the mechanism from hanging up causing stiction during your graceful bend.  On examination on this new bender (from SportHiTech FYI) it appears that HipShot has addressed all of these older problems!  I didn't have to do anything except install a schaller locking strap button to the end.  Easy Peasy.

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    858.3 KB · Views: 152
Cagey said:
Funny how photos will show you things your naked eye passes over. I noticed the other day a nut I had cut for the Tele I'm working on now had a slot out of place. I mean, obviously so. How I never saw that during all the work I did getting it to that point is beyond me.

I've since fixed up the rough edges.  Had to use my magnifying glass to do it!

Getting ready to put on the bender and see if things really do line up (fingers crossed here).

I've got the string ferrules installed (used the soldering iron trick), put on the bridge, and installed the pull tower ferrule.  Although it has a snug fit, I installed this big ferrule using some good old titebond III around the perimeter.  I'll wait for that to dry then I'll put on the bender.  That might have to be a tomorrow job.

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_2598.JPG
    IMG_2598.JPG
    599.5 KB · Views: 140
I'm slightly surprised that the bender mounting plate doesn't get recessed into the body.

Not that it needs to be, or that I would wish that routing job on anyone.  And I imagine it would mess with appropriate B-string action and all kinds of other things related to fitment and setup.  I'm just a little surprised it wasn't designed to fit in like a cover plate.

:dontknow:

Sovereign_13 said:
I'm slightly surprised that the bender mounting plate doesn't get recessed into the body.

I was thinking the same thing    Unless the action on  the bender would be too high.  I do now know the physics of that contraption.

Wow Trevor, you've been a busy lad today! I'm really enjoying watching this come together.  :kewlpics:

Thank you gentlemen for all your kind words!!

Sovereign_13 said:

wow - now that would be a very big job.  But - nothing on a Fender gets recessed into the body anyway :)

ok - kids are off at school.  Time to get the bender on and have the moment of truth:  Does everything line up?! 

Bill is still thinking of neck options, so I decided to pull the neck off my "Grandma Julie" tele to put on for now.

index.php

This neck is roasted maple with threaded inserts installed (natch).  This guitar lives on a stand in a sunny spot.  You can really see how the neck colour has changed with age!

index.php

ok truth time.  Does it line up?

index.php

Yes it does!  :headbang:

Looking a bit like a guitar now...

index.php

Been playing the guitar most of the morning tweaking the setup as I go.  It's got a nice lively ringing tone and the bender works flawlessly.  I'm pretty pleased!

Attachments

• IMG_2605.JPG
    IMG_2605.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    824.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2601.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 117
Looks good to me.

One thing I've been noticing, though, is it seems like that finish is awfully thick. Almost looks dipped. I even went back in the thread to see if it was a Warmoth body, because I know they don't normally go nuts like that. Does it seem like that to you, or is it just so glossy it's giving a false impression?

That neck with that body is a great combination. Perhaps he'll decide once he sees that on there.

Cagey said:
Looks good to me.

One thing I've been noticing, though, is it seems like that finish is awfully thick. Almost looks dipped. I even went back in the thread to see if it was a Warmoth body, because I know they don't normally go nuts like that. Does it seem like that to you, or is it just so glossy it's giving a false impression?

It does not seem that thick to me - it might be 15-20 thou or something.  It is very glossy though.  Needs some sweat on it...

Rgand said:
That neck with that body is a great combination. Perhaps he'll decide once he sees that on there.

Yep!  It looks even better with the pickguard laying on top!

Mayfly said:
Rgand said:

Yep!  It looks even better with the pickguard laying on top!
I'll bet! My first guitar was a blonde Tele with a black pickguard. It's a real classic look. This one will really pop when it's done.

Thank you Gentlemen,

We're waiting for pickups to arrive (a set of Lollars), so time to work on the control plate.  We've got some bits including the plate, a set of knobs, a 5 way switch, and a set of CTS 250K pots from my stash. 

index.php

Unfortunately the 1/4" shaft on the pots do not play nicely with the knobs that Bill ordered (which have a 6mm hole).  My fault - I should have warned Bill of the difference.  But no matter:  my usual way of solving this problem is to drill out the knobs with a 1/4 bit on the drill press.  This worked just fine.

index.php

Once that's done, everything can be mounted and the preliminary wiring can be completed.  The Nashville tele is wired very much like a classic strat, which simplifies switch wiring:

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_2608.JPG
    IMG_2608.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
Thank you Gentlepeople!

Pickups are in.  My favourite:  Lollars!

index.php

I like how the middle strat pickup blends in with the pickguard  :headbang:

Update:  In this shot you can also see where I've played that neck!

Attachments

• IMG_2638.JPG
    IMG_2638.JPG
    930.2 KB · Views: 89
I really like that guitar. Butterscotch Blonde is one of my favorite colors, especially with the black pickguard.  Yes, that middle pickup blends very nicely with the p/g.

Back