5A Flame Neck on 3-Tone Sunburst

Tonar8352

The 3-Tone Sunburst will be ready for set up as soon as I get the tuners.  I saw that great 5A Tele neck on Gregg's post so I thought I'd show this one off too.  

IMG_1299.jpg

The neck is sanded and polish with 2000 grit sand paper, 12 coats of hand rubbed boiled oil and then finished off on a Stew-Mac polishing arbor.

IMG_1304.jpg

Nice one, have a couple like that; what's the front look like? I always preferred the 50's two tone bursts, don't need no red on my Strat!

Hey Tonar, what is Boiled Oil? 

I also have the Stew Mac buffing arbor, i just need to get it setup, I haven't used it yet,

Alfang,
Boiled Linseed Oil.  If you go that route you will forfeit the Warmoth Warranty.  I have never had a neck fail and they feel like butter finished this way. I only use this on maple necks.  Polish sand it with 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper, ( I prefer Klingspor), then take it to your polishing arbor using the Menzera Ultra Fine #3170 polishing compound.  After that I hand rub the boiled oil in using my bare hand until it gets so hot from frictiion I can't stand it.  Let it set until it completly drys, generally a half hour to and hour on later coats, wipe it down with a clean rag and repeat the process until the wood stops soaking up the oil.  Wipe it down good and take it to the arbor for a finlal polish and it will look and feel like glass.  I use a separate wheel for necks only since I do not want any oil residue on the wheel that I am final polishing guitar bodies with.

Linseed oil will spontaneously combust on rags so follow the directions on the can for disposal.  A quart of oil will last for years. I have lost count of the number of necks that I have done with the quart that I have had for the past 2 years and it is still 2/3 full.

Here is the birdseye neck that will be going on the Oly White that is posted on a different thread.  This has been sanded and has had one go on the arbor.  Look at the sheen of the wood!  It is amazing how well maple polishes up even before it gets oiled.  I will oil the back, wet sand and rub out the lacquer on the face and fretboard this weekend and it will be ready to bolt on the guitar.

IMG_1317.jpg

Tonar, all the guitars you finish are disgustingly beautiful.  I wish I had the amount of talent in my whole body that you have in your pinky toe. :kewlpics:

Rose

Back