59 roundback vs Clapton V?

toblerobe

Hey guys,

Love me the roundback as I have big palms and fairly long fingers, but I also heard that V shapes feel great for over-the-thumb players like me. I tried the boatneck and it was a little too big for me, as was the fatback, but I'm wondering your thoughts on the differences between these two. What makes you pick one over the other?

I like to play neosoul, funk, classic rock, jazz for reference - both rhythm and lead

Just keep trying necks till you find one you like.  If there's too much meat in a 59 then try a Wolfgang.  Also if your hands are larger go up a size to a 1 3/4 width.  Only way to know is to try.

The Clapton V feels and plays
much smaller than the 59 in my
opinion. Then again I love the boatneck and have no issues wrapping my thumb for a D/F#

Yes indeed lack of shoulders on the Clapton V makes for a much thinner feeling neck than a C shape of identical thickness, let alone the thicker 59.

Likewise the asymmetrical shapes like SRV or Wolfgang will feel much thicker than a thicker (but symmetrical) C shape... I was particularly shocked by the Wolfgang, it was much thicker feeling than a 59 to me.

To me my Clapton Warmoth profile neck feels close to my Standard Thin, but with a V. I'm not a thumb over the top guy but if you are it should be worth a try to see what you think. I have not yet tried the SRV profile but that looks interesting. Boatneck and Fatback are round in profile and in comparison are almighty chunks of timber.

Back