49.2mm pole spacing vs 52mm string spread

JPOL007

I’m looking for a tune-o-matic bridge and tail piece that works well with 49.2 mm pole spacing. Does anybody have experience with using 52mm string spread tune-o-matic bridge with 49.2mm pole spacing? Seems like all of the Tone pros bridges have the 52mm string spread.

There is no electro-mechanical reason to have the strings line up exactly with the pole pieces, that's purely aesthetic. The poles create a large magnetic field the strings travel through.

Since the strings fan out and they'll be widest at the bridge, less wide at the bridge PU and less wide still at the neck PU. Gibson bridges (and Modern USA Fender bridges) are 2-1/16" (52.37), so I don't see market for a less than 52mm bridge. On Gibsons, the strings are usually slightly wider than the pole piece centers at the bridge PU and slightly narrower than the pole piece centers at the neck PU.

DuckBaloo said:
There is no electro-mechanical reason to have the strings line up exactly with the pole pieces, that's purely aesthetic. The poles create a large magnetic field the strings travel through.

Since the strings fan out and they'll be widest at the bridge, less wide at the bridge PU and less wide still at the neck PU. Gibson bridges (and Modern USA Fender bridges) are 2-1/16" (52.37), so I don't see market for a less than 52mm bridge. On Gibsons, the strings are usually slightly wider than the pole piece centers at the bridge PU and slightly narrower than the pole piece centers at the neck PU.
Thanks for confirming the information. The guys at Mojotone finally got back with an answer that says basically what you said. :eek:ccasion14:

Back