3/4" or 7/8" ?

Johnny Roastbeef

Hello,
            I am planning the options for a Strat body with a rear route control cavity and would like to know which output jack hole to choose 3/4" or 7/8" if I want a football shaped cover and just a regular Switchcraft mono output jack like this: http://www.warmoth.com/Mono-Jack-By-Switchcraft-P122C68.aspx

I did some research and different people had different answers.. So I figured I better ask so I don't have any issues.

Thanks in advance for your help !

I would go with 3/4" but you will probably get 3 different answers here too.
:rock-on:

The 7/8" seems to run the consensus as it allows for true clearance when the jack is centered in the hole, not touching the walls.

The Planet Waves Side Jack with its additional shielding is a strong choice also as there are no less than 4 solid contact points, so the jack never wiggles loose, it's quite solid.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
The 7/8" seems to run the consensus as it allows for true clearance when the jack is centered in the hole, not touching the walls.

The Planet Waves Side Jack with its additional shielding is a strong choice also as there are no less than 4 solid contact points, so the jack never wiggles loose, it's quite solid.

Thank you sir! The Planet Waves Side Jack it shall be.  :hello2:

Hbom said:
I would go with 3/4" but you will probably get 3 different answers here too.
:rock-on:

Right now it's 50/50 haha! Hopefully a tie breaker will chime in!

Seriously though- thanks for the reply!  :guitarplayer2:

Thank you fellas :hello2: 7/8" it is. Well that is one less thing. I think I am getting close guys.... another 24 questions and I'll be ready to order! Joking!  :toothy10:

Johnny, I have nothing to add other than chuckling every. single. time. I see "Johnny Roastbeef".  That is all.  As you were, gentlemen.  As you were.

Go with 7/8". I went with 3/4" and then discovered my stereo jack wouldn't fit; I had to ream it out further with a Dremel.

fdesalvo said:
Johnny, I have nothing to add other than chuckling every. single. time. I see "Johnny Roastbeef".  That is all.  As you were, gentlemen.  As you were.

Haha! It's one of the lesser known gangster names from the movie "Goodfellas".  :laughing11:

Geekydad said:
Go with 7/8". I went with 3/4" and then discovered my stereo jack wouldn't fit; I had to ream it out further with a Dremel.

Thanks for the reply! 7/8" sounds like the way to go for me.  :guitarplayer2:

Geekydad said:

Pretty much my experience, I could get the 3/4 to work, but I need to scrape it out a bit sandpaper the lugs on the Switchcraft  jack, wasn't hard, but when I was doing it I was thinking, next time I'm going for the 22mm one.

fdesalvo said:

fdesalvo, you're a gentleman and a scholar. My most humble and sincere kudos to you, sir!

Back