24.75 scale, jumbo frets. Overkill?

Highland89

I’m building a Warmoth with a Gibson conversion neck. Wondering if 6100 frets would feel too cramped up on a shorter scale… I’m torn between 6115 and 6100 SS frets. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I’m building a Warmoth with a Gibson conversion neck. Wondering if 6100 frets would feel too cramped up on a shorter scale… I’m torn between 6115 and 6100 SS frets. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I have a conversion neck with 6100's and find it just fine not cramped. I also have one with 6115's and they are nice too.

The distance between frets doesn’t change based on fretwire, the crowns between the 21st and 22nd fret on a 24.75” guitar are always going to be .413” inches apart. Comparatively, on a 25.5” scale guitar, the crowns will be .425” apart

The fretwire changes how much exposed wood is between the fretwire, so if you are a player who really digs in you may want vintage fretwire. If you have a light touch then bigger frets are great.

It does sort of beg the question of why frets don’t get progressively skinnier at the end of the neck. I wonder if Warmoth would do a half 6150/half 6105 neck.

It does sort of beg the question of why frets don’t get progressively skinnier at the end of the neck. I wonder if Warmoth would do a half 6150/half 6105 neck.
Its not really needed IMO. Washburn did use skinny frets after the 24th on the EC29 and EC36 guitars if I recall correctly.

I got my first short scale neck with 6115ss. They feel closer to 6150s than they do 6100s.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about the spacing since you never hit the fretboard at the higher frets. The crown to crown measurement would be the same no matter what frets you get.

6115s are easier to grab a bit of 'board, if that's your thing.
6100s are like walking a tightrope with your fingers.

I have and like both.

6105 and 6230 are my not starters. Warmoth 6105s are lower than esp's for example.
My ltd frets are like speed bumps during slides

I got my first short scale neck with 6115ss. They feel closer to 6150s than they do 6100s.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about the spacing since you never hit the fretboard at the higher frets. The crown to crown measurement would be the same no matter what frets you get.

6115s are easier to grab a bit of 'board, if that's your thing.
6100s are like walking a tightrope with your fingers.

I have and like both.

6105 and 6230 are my not starters. Warmoth 6105s are lower than esp's for example.
My ltd frets are like speed bumps during slides
Thank you for the reply! This was very helpful.

I'd go with 6115 or 6150. I have a LP style guitar (24-3/4" scale) with 6100s and they're "okay" but not ideal.

Overkill is kool!

Back