Gibson scale: 6150 v 6100 frets

Iā€™m a fan of the low wide 6130 and I have these on a couple of my 24ā€ scales, a Jaguar, a Mustang and others. I would love to see these or something with similar dimensions made of steel, though. That would be cool.

Dang it now I'm curious about 6115 frets, but I already placed the order with 6100
You can change your order if Warmoth has not yet started building it. I Imagine that at least if the frets have not been installed, they would let you change the size of the fretwire. Give them a call. Intonation is more precise with a more narrow fret (provided you're not pressing so hard that the note goes sharp).

I am a little concerned that you may be playing this guitar too often.

That is very kind of you, but these days I am nowhere near the 10 hours a day I used to do a few decades ago.

Stratamania knows.
Apparently so (y)

Yes, Dunlop 6000s are bigger than 6100s. Observably so and also in measurements apart from the tang width. But read on as there is more.

Here is the chart from the "horse's" website.

Other things to note the 6xxx sizes such as 6000, 6100 & 6105 etc are all Dunlop sizes.

Warmoth and others refer to these Dunlop size designations, although the fret wire used and sold by Warmoth is Jescar, which is not the same as Dunlop, so sometimes using the 6xxx sizes is not that accurate.

Here is a selection of sizes that Warmoth sells.
  • 6100 (.118" x .058")
  • 6105 (.095" X .047")
  • 6150 (.104" X .047")
  • 6115 (.108" x .051")
  • 6230 (.080" X .037")
If you look at for example 6100 (.118" x .058") are the Dunlop B & E dimensions which are the crown width and height respectively, then that does equal the size of Dunlop 6000s. So in that respect @BroccoliRob is correct, but Warmoth are referencing Dunlop sizes and in the case of 6100s are out by enough of a margin for it to be a different Dunlop size reference altogether.

Jescar, themselves, do not reference Dunlop 6xxx at all but references the crown width and height imperial dimensions.

Jescar Fret Wire 58118, or the S (stainless steel ) or EVO variants is what is sold by Warmoth as 6100, but this is not the same size as the actual Dunlop 6100 which is smaller than the Dunlop 6000.

Just to make it more confusing, I have bought Jescar 58118-S as 6000 wire from one supplier but from Warmoth it is 6100.

The only way to be accurate is to use the measurements.

It is possible I typed up something similar on this forum previously.

Such odd naming conventions from warmoth.

The other offender is the 6105 frets.

.095 x.047 as warmoth has them
Vs
.095 x .055 for the dunlop version.
This explains why my warmoth strat feels nothing like my ec401v, fretwise. That is a good thing IMO. True 6105s are the most speed bumpy shape. So I got sort of a speed bump lite version.

Dunlop doesn't even make a 6115 size! You can see this 51108 clearly on jescars site though.
What a great fret! It plays so much smaller than it's dimensions would suggest. They are jumbo height and width but feel smaller than 6150s to me. Heck, they even feel smaller than warmoth's 6105s.

Any more necks I buy will have these, for sure.

You can change your order if Warmoth has not yet started building it. I Imagine that at least if the frets have not been installed, they would let you change the size of the fretwire. Give them a call. Intonation is more precise with a more narrow fret (provided you're not pressing so hard that the note goes sharp).
I think I'm just gonna stick with the 6100s. I'm planning on using 11s so the bigger frets should work well.

Wow, I didn't realize Dunlop 6000 = Jescar (Warmoth) 6100, that's great to know! Now I don't feel like my Warmoth 6100s are inadequate any more, there's nothing bigger I can get w/out custom manufacturing! I probably should have just measured them on the guitars...

Ibanez doesn't come out an tell you what they mean by "jumbo" frets, and that term is thrown around pretty loosely throughout the industry, but I just checked and my PIA seems to have 58-118 frets, so they're either Dunlop 6000 or Jescar 6100.

Back