1st Warmoth - 1st Post - 100% exotics

I'm not normally a fan of Vs, but if you're gonna go that route, you did it right.  The spalt looks A-MAZ-ING!  :icon_thumright:

Spalted maple flying V!
me-gusta_meme.jpg

Your V is pure win  :icon_thumright:

Great great looking guitar

I'd go for Black hardware. Black and Creme zebra pick-ups and black Sperzels with ivory knobs.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments.    I sat for about half an hour last night with the body on my lap just starring at it.    I'm in love.

Decided on reverse zebra pups (cream on the outside/black inside).  I have a set of Walter's coming from Madhouse designs.    I wanted to try something new. 

The other stuff.  Still on the fence about black or chrome, so for some of the cheap stuff I ordered both (ie. string ferrules etc.).  I can decide when I actually receive everything and during mockup.

Tuners will likely be sperzel in black and chrome with faux ivory buttons.
Pickup rings will most likely be cream, although I have extra black ones kicking around.
Talking to Doug about a neck plate
Wenge truss rod cover en route
Graphtech TOM string savers en route
Threaded neck inserts en route (note; StewMac won't ship to Canada, so I will try out the stuff from Onyx this time around)

Anyone have experience with jack plate covers on a V?  I don't know if the traditional Gibson rectangle will be too large and extend up onto the binding which I don't want.    I may order a chrome Gibson explorer jack plate which is more rectangular.  Thoughts???

I will keep you guys up to date as the build moves along.  Be patient.  Its killing me!!!!

Cheers

That is going to be one beautiful guitar!!!

I do not know if the Gibson square jackplate will work, but I did buy one for my Strat and it did not work.  The problem was the rounded sides of the Strat.  I would guess that one would work fine on the V.

UPDATE: Oops...Just noticed you have binding.  So, I'm not really sure as I would hate to screw into the binding.  Like I said, I have one at home.  If noone else knows for sure, I'd be happy to measure mine when I get home tonight.

dwiller said:
StewMac won't ship to Canada

I've bought from StewMac a few times and they ship to Canada faster than any company I've ever dealt with.  You can get stuff the very next day! 

My fault on the last post.

I meant to say that Macmaster-carr wasn't shipping to Canada, although I had used them in the past.
You are right.  Stew-Mac is great.  I just ordered some stuff from them and it shipped same day.

Thanks for the correction

Dave

I finally viewed this thread on my computer.  Before I looked at it on my phone.  Wow!  The flame on that spalt is amazing.  I love the way the canary matches the tobacco burst!

Can you give me your exact address and the times you will not be home? :evil4:

It does, however, need a Floyd.

dwiller said:
My fault on the last post.

I meant to say that Macmaster-carr wasn't shipping to Canada, although I had used them in the past.
You are right.  Stew-Mac is great.  I just ordered some stuff from them and it shipped same day.

Thanks for the correction

Dave

Hey, no problem, Dave.  I just thought I'd give you a heads-up if you thought you were missing out.

Forgot last night, but I just measured the standard LP square jack plate that I got from Warmoth. It's 1 3/8 inch square.

there are a couple ways I might go with the hardware.

1. creme knobs and pickup rings crome hardware and pickup covers.

2. wood knobs, nickel hardware, not sure about pickup rings but probably black. id have to mock it up befor I decided, but if you can find wooden ones get them in the same wood as the knobs.

3. zebra pickups, black rings, creme knobs and chrome hardware.

Chrome seems unsuiting to me. This guitar is begging for black.
Also, zebras rarely work on anything. This needs black pickups and black metal rings to match the hardware.
:headbang1:

line6man said:
Also, zebras rarely work on anything. This needs black pickups and black metal rings to match the hardware.
:headbang1:

Unfortunately, DiMarzio somehow managed to obtain a trademark on double cream humbucking pickups (and PAF!), so you see zebras showing up all over the place. I'm surprised they didn't get double black as well, as long as the USPTO was handing out ridiculous monopolies.

The state of IP law in the US is just pitiful.

Wait - DiMarzio got a trademark on PAF? On some else's long expired Patent?

Back