1st Warmoth - 1st Post - 100% exotics

dwiller

Hi Guys,

Not new to the forum, as I have been amassing all kinds of important information from all of you over the last few months.  I finally pulled the trigger just after christmas and just opened two boxes today.  It was like christmas all over again, but even BETTER.  I could not be happier with what Warmoth has done for me. 
Neck:  I had really liked the look of both the canary and wenge from everyone elses feedback etc. and wanted to try the raw route on this one.  I'm sure someone has done this before, but I couldn't find any pics of wenge with canary, so I figured what the hell.  I chose the fretboard from the unique options as it has a lots of different colors in it that I thought might compliment the burst on the body.    I think I might prefer the look of a different neck wood, but I wanted this combo for sound and playing.

Neck Specs:

Wenge with canary fretboard
1 3/4" nut with Graphtech XL
standard thin
SS frets jumbo
abalone dots
drilled for sperzels

P1040587.jpg

P1040585.jpg

P1040583.jpg

P1040581.jpg

Body Specs:

Black Korina body
Spalted maple top
Ivoroid Binding
Recessed TOM string through
Tobacco burst top and bottom
720 mod

P1040589.jpg

P1040592.jpg

P1040598.jpg

P1040593.jpg

P1040595.jpg

Looking for opinions on the following, so please feel free to voice any and all opinions concerns etc.,  I value your experience and insight.

Can't decide on hardware color but leaning towards chrome or black (this include the tuners, TOM, ferrulles and neck plate etc.)
Going to use the new Schaller Davinci tuners or the Sperzels (its drilled for these now)
I will likely change the tuner buttons to try to match either the headstock (wenge) or the body color.

Can't decide on humbucker color (zebra or black).    I don't really like covered pickups and I think traditional bobbins will work best on this guitar.
Pickup rings (cream or black)
Knobs (either amber speed kobs or amber PRS lampshade knobs).  Might be too much wood if I went that route.

I will try for some better pics in natural light soon, but just couldn't wait to share my excitement.
Don't expect any progress shots any time soon.  I was waiting to see how light or dark the tobacco burst was before moving forward with buying parts etc.,    Its pretty much exactly how I was dreaming it would look.  I wanted a very spalted piece with lots of rot lines etc.  Looks amazing and it has a ton of natural flame in it too.      Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for everyones help with this.  I can't wait to start piecing things together.    I have another special something on order which should come in another month or so.    Mahogany soloist with maple burl in magenta burst.  Who knows???  could be killer, could be a bit off.  Neck is coming from Soulmate for the soloist. 

Cheers

Dave

First off, welcome. And secondly, that is seriously badass. I was just thinking earlier about doing a wenge neck with a canary board. That just solidified my amusements... :headbang1:

WOW! Gorgeous start to that project.

Just MHO, but I'd go with chrome, cream and zebra. That combination would compliment the coloring you have in the body extremely well, I think.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Love everything about that guitar.  Black hardware, zebra pups.  Try some wenge knobs.

I'd use the same color for the pickup mounting rings as the binding, and then have uncovered black pickups.  I'd get a set from Ken at Roadhouse, but that is just me.  I think his pickups sound dandy.  It is a very cool looking build.  Unfortunately it reminds me that I need to build a guitar with a spalted maple top.  Rats.
Patrick

That is one serious good looking V  :icon_thumright:

2 x Hum & string though  :blob7:
:kewlpics:

Nice parts! I agree with Patrick - use the same color for the pickup mounting rings as the binding, and then have uncovered black pickups. Black hardware otherwise.

:headbang:WoW that looks great, i think the recessed bridge looks way better than the tom
setup on a V. Not seen that neck combo before real nice.
Got to go with cream rings (binding) blk buckers (Spalt), i'm torn between Nickel or Black
how about these knobs
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG131&product=0830C%2F0830N%2F0830S%2F0830G
And Happy Christmas.

Best looking V I've ever seen! Very nice. Can't wait to see more!

Btw, I vote chrome hardware, black pickup rings, zebra pickups

That's simply amazing.  Yours is an example of a coffee table I'd play.  Would be nice with either chrome or black.  I lean towards black.

For the love of all that does not suck, put Sperzels on that bad boy.  I always regret going with another tuner.

-Mark

Damn, that's a sexy guitar!  I'd go for black hardware, even though I like chrome, because I think that chrome would draw more attention away from the wood.  Since you've got that cream binding around the edge of the body, I'd go for zebra pickups--cream/black.

Yes! Something not Strat, Tele or VIP! I'm in love already, can't wait to see it finished.

My two cents worth: chrome hardware, pickup rings to match the binding and black pickups, and Grover Imperial style tuners. Those Art Deco knobs would look killer on this guitar.

Beautiful! Show us more! More! More!

Back