Ziricote Over Goncalo Baritone

Perry Combover

Well, after a bone headed move on my part, I have an orphan baritone neck that is awaiting a body.  I'm not sure if I am going to move the bridge on the body that I have to compensate for the wrong scale, or just buy another body.  In any event, W did not disappoint...

And props again to Doug...

I'll start burnishing tonight while I start imagining what to do with it now.  Nevertheless, this neck makes me very happy.

Perry Combover said:
...Nevertheless, this neck makes me very happy.
I'm not surprised. That board is f*&%ing amazing! I have a very nice ziricote board but that one takes the prize. Quite possibly the prettiest fingerboard I have ever seen. Ever.

That fret board looks like a western landscape! Like looking down on a valley from above. Truly exceptional piece, I too am jealous.

I love ziricote too! Although, I am not sure what the best method for cleaning it is as mine has become quite dark with heavy use over the past 8 years. Many people mistake it for ebony now but when it was new it sure was gorgeous. I have tried steel wool but that didn't work so well on ziricote, maybe the wood has just absorbed skin oils over the years and thus darkened it. Who knows. At any rate, great lookin' bari neck and congrats!

Ziricote is awesome, probably without a doubt my favorite FB wood, slick as owl poop... :headbang1:

Yeah, it's good stuff Doug. And thanks again for the great work on the neck plate. I think this is the best one you've done for me.

Beautiful neck. I love that fret board. On the right body, that will really pop.

Perry Combover said:
Yeah, it's good stuff Doug. And thanks again for the great work on the neck plate. I think this is the best one you've done for me.
You're certainly welcome Chris... :icon_thumright:

Alright, the decision has been made and the body delivered. I am going to slap the neck on this body right after I turn it into an HSS, swap out the white for black plastic, and plug a GFS Surf 90 in the bridge.  I am also toying with the idea of a hot rod theme of some sort. To what level, I'm not sure, but I'm happy the neck has a home now.

Yow, and you should have seen my jaw literally drop sitting at my desk as I saw that fret board. Enjoy this rig when it is all together.

Back