Your suggestions needed.

red-mcmannus

Hey.
I am planning my first Warmoth build. I am bored of my 'standard' guitars and want something a bit special!!
I am selling a strat and a les paul to cover this, what I would like to build is a twin humbucker guitar to replace the les paul I am selling, but obviously not just another les paul, getting bored of the les paul shape. Am thinking maybe along the PRS vibe.
SO, here's what I am thinking so far -

- VIP body, not sure of body wood, but REALLY want a pau ferro top with a clear gloss finish.
- Wenge neck (raw)

The things I am not sure about -
- What fretboard wood to use.
- What body wood to use.
- Whether to have a chambered body or not. What effect on the sound does this have??

To give you more info -
- I am more into my les paul than a strat man, I do like my strat, but not as much. I am into the less bright sound, as an example, I prefer alder bodied strats to ash, also I prefer rosewood fretoards to maple, however I have no idea what exotic woods sound like.
- Also in terms of aesthetics, I like light wood against dark wood, a good example of the kind of look I like is a mahogany body with a maple top finished in clear gloss. So would like a lighter coloured body wood to go with the darker pau ferro top. I would choose mahogany, but that's a bit standard and boring.
- Gonna be chooseing stainless steel frets, and fitting my bareknucks (mule and riff raff).

Would really appreciate your thoughts as I want something that looks and feels exotic and wicked, but also sounds good with humbuckers, something that isn't too far away from what I am used to (mahogany les pauls).

Thanks

Sounds like the guitar I'll probably build next.

For body wood, I'd suggest Korina.  The white stuff should be just the ticket

for a fingerboard, I'd use ebony.  I know you're not into the super bright tone, but the ebony will balance the wedge and not make it overly bright.

Make sure that you post pictures as you go!

Oh!  and I am planning to get mine chambered mostly because I hate heavy guitars.  As far as sonic benifits, some folks say it's great, some folks say it's so-so.  Actually, now that I think about it most folks say it's great.

having said that, I've never owned a chambered guitar.  

I imagine that the differences between koa and korina are not that significant  - so go with what you like the look of best.

Ok, so it is looking like -

VIP, Korina chambered body, pau ferro top
Wenge neck ebony fretboard.

At the risk of asking a potentially unanswerable question, what would this guitar sound like compared to a noraml les paul, obviously it depends on pickups etc, but I mean in terms of the tonally of this mixture of woods, are we talking brighter? Mellower? More complex? darker? etc, you get my drift.

That combination will have chewy mids, an airy top end with a lush, almost creamy bottom end.  Depending on the bridge hardware selected, it may also have some cherry tasting notes and some nice tannins that sit nicely in the palette ....

.... oops wrong forum!  :icon_jokercolor:  :icon_thumright:

Hey Manny, you bumder.

You didn't ask me for my personal opinion before you asked any of this lot.  I'm offended  :icon_tongue:, but since all the good shops are shutting I'll let you off.

If it were me, (you probably already know this)  I'd follow Mayfly's advice, and go chambered Black (for looks) Korina with a nice laminated top of your choice (I like Walnut - The lam tops wont contribute an awful lot to the sound of the guitar)
I'd go Wenge back with Ziricote board 59 Roundback Warmoth Pro neck
Bare Knucks (NonsenseTele will love you forever)

See you lates mates rates
:glasses9:

If you put Dirty Fingers pickups in it and crank your mesa quad recto-thing, you will never hear any differences in any woods.
I firmly believe that it depends on the individual piece, to the extent that wood matters at all. And if you take the pickups out of one guitar and put them in another, 90% of the sound will follow the pickup. Which is not surprising when you compare how differently an acoustic guitar makes its noise compared to a plugged in electric.
My prediction is that you will love the sound of your new guitar and won't miss your les paul sound at all.

If that answer doesn't satisfy you, then yes: you will have growlier (but less snarly), kind of salty complex high-upper-mid harmonics with mellower, cheese-filled low-upper-mid harmonics. Like a nice grilled ham and cheese sandwich, as compared to the les paul's more "Pastrami on Rye" sound. With a half-sour pickle on the side.
Now I'm hungry!

Edit: Wow Mayfly we wrote simultaneous food-tone descriptions. Great minds think alike!

Didn't ask you first?! As if we didn't talk about guitars for four days solid!! ha ha ha ha!! Plus, I knew you'd be on here!

Yeah, liking the idea of the Korina, also getting more excited about the chambered body idea!!

red-mcmannus said:
Didn't ask you first?! As if we didn't talk about guitars for four days solid!! ha ha ha ha!! Plus, I knew you'd be on here!

Yeah, liking the idea of the Korina, also getting more excited about the chambered body idea!!

:binkybaby:

Anyone else got any food-themed opinions?
They are surprisingly helpful, as I don't know my exotics woods, but I know my food!

In't that right Jim!!

jimh said:
Hey Manny, you bumder.
Wow jim, you may have had just a little too much English in your morning Full English Breakfast ;)

dbw said:
jimh said:
Hey Manny, you bumder.
Wow jim, you may have had just a little too much English in your morning Full English Breakfast ;)

Ha. It's cool. As you may have gathered we go waaaaaaaaaaaay back, think of Marko and Luke, but with English accents. The mates rates bit is an in joke, and the bumder bit is from a new show that you guys will hopefully get called 'the inbetweeners'. It's hilarious.

walnut with a canary  neck ziricote board and some Dimarzio D-Activators = A big 'ol bowl of eyebrow scorchin" Texas 3 alarm Chili and Jalapeno's...
teu42.gif

DangerousR6 said:
walnut with a canary  neck ziricote board and some Dimarzio D-Activators = A big 'ol bowl of eyebrow scorchin" Texas 3 alarm Chili and Jalapeno's...
teu42.gif

Oh Yeah, Wayne,  Forgot to mention......  You have to get a custom neck plate from Doug (Dangerous R6 - see above)  He's the dude who did my 8-ball, and just about everybody else's plates.  :icon_thumright:

jimh said:
DangerousR6 said:
teu42.gif

Oh Yeah, Wayne,  Forgot to mention......  You have to get a custom neck plate from Doug (Dangerous R6 - see above)  He's the dude who did my 8-ball, and just about everybody else's plates.  :icon_thumright:
Thanks for the props bro... :icon_biggrin:

jimh said:
DangerousR6 said:
teu42.gif

Would not consider a new build with out  Dangerous neckware ...  :icon_thumright: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_thumright:

Back