Your favorite fret levelling tool?

I usually go with this, I like that worn in feeling.... :icon_biggrin:
9557pb_m.jpg

Jusatele said:
So true Stub. I actually love to keep my 2 antique Jeeps going, a 67 and a 70. took autoshop in high school and a few other courses from a trade school so I could. Learned to weld just to make stuff I wanted and no one built.
But fret jobs, I am now just building my first guitar from scratch, I am finding I am very anal about stuff like finish and am taking way to long by some standards, just right by mine. I even went so far as a rotten stone final rub down on the lacquer. I ordered a spray gun for my next build. I can just see myself doing a fret job, in 3 or 4 more builds, I first want to learn more about finishes.
Are there any good videos, not some u tube stuff but professional videos you can buy?
I built violins in the '80s and used rotten stone and a felt pad on oil varnish, traditional. I probably will not paint another guitar body for awhile because I'm currently building on '70s and earlier Fender bodies.  
All my Nitro finishing supplies came from ReRanch. I've had excellent results with solid colors especially on Alder. After the body is prepped apply sanding sealer and base white coats. You can fill any minor imperfections that show up in the primer coat with a direct shot of base white and sand smooth. Once the base coat is right apply 3 - 4 coats of color and additional clear coats without a thick build up. Always allowing ample time to dry and sand between coats. Use a tack cloth and filtered compressed air to clean things up. Final finishing is by sanding and using #0000 ultra fine steel wool followed by a clean buffing wheel and automotive polishing compound, etc.  
Depending on how things looked along the way sometimes I omit applying clear coats and wind up with a nice semi gloss appearance plus it saves money. If you do it right few will ever know it's a rattle-can job, some so-called pros will frown if you mention spray can mostly because they missed a buck. Nitro has to be sanded, buffed and polished to bring it to life so it doesn't matter a lot how it's applied. Since you can maintain your neat sounding Jeeps, etc. you've got a head-start on learning to do your own frets, etc. Good luck. http://www.reranch.com/

Back