Yngwie Malmsteen Hand Wound Pickups

Jet-Jaguar

I thought this was pretty cool.  Recently, Yngwie Malmsteen was touring the Seymour Duncan factory in SB, and while he was there, he hand-wound some strat pickups and signed them.  Seymour Duncan and Doctors without Borders are now auctioning off these pickups on Ebay, with proceeds going to DwB's efforts in Haiti.

!BkqnfZg!2k~$%28KGrHqYOKiwEsnp6WgBBBLYd+DSUEg~~_3.JPG

Sorry, but what the frick makes Yngie Malmsteen a better hand pickup winder than me?  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: And sold by somebody with less Ebay feedback than me???????? :doh:

And what the hell kind of name is "Yngwie", anyhow now that I'm on the subject? Who spells like that?  :icon_tongue:

The seller is Evan Skopp from SD, but you're right in that it should have been someone else's account.  

Yngwie really did kind of wind them...........but MJ was supervising the entire time so its probably not crap (nor actually his first attempt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZT23Os6Bmg

I was never into him that much...he is talented but not my thing.

I canot believe how heavy he got! 
446.gif

Someone really needs to tell him tight leather pants went out 10 years ago

tfarny said:
And what the hell kind of name is "Yngwie", anyhow now that I'm on the subject? Who spells like that?  :icon_tongue:

Well it's a pretty old Swedish name, kind of old fashioned these days. It's usually spelled "Yngve".

Ok, so Yngwie is talented. That doesn't explain why anyone should care that he's winding pickups. Isn't that sorta like getting Mario Andretti to sign a baseball bat?

ErogenousJones said:
Ok, so Yngwie is talented. That doesn't explain why anyone should care that he's winding pickups. Isn't that sorta like getting Mario Andretti to sign a baseball bat?

Well since Yngwie plays guitar and custom designed pups, it kinda has a little more in common than a race car driver signing a baseball cap. Did he have any say in the design of said baseball cap, did he make the cap from raw materials, etc?  :icon_jokercolor:

EVH hand built many guitars that he played on the last tour and then auctioned those off for some good amounts of money.

Yngwie Malmsteen Hand Wound Pickups – Haiti Benefit

Guitar Icon Donates Electric Guitar Pickups for Charity

Item condition: New

Time left: 5 days 18 hours (Feb 07, 201011:26:13 PST)

Bid history: 31 bids[Refresh]

Current bid: US $1,025.00

Blue313 said:
Yngwie Malmsteen Hand Wound Pickups – Haiti Benefit

Guitar Icon Donates Electric Guitar Pickups for Charity

Item condition: New

Time left: 5 days 18 hours (Feb 07, 201011:26:13 PST)

Bid history: 31 bids[Refresh]

Current bid: US $1,025.00

Holy Crap!!! I never would have thought they would pull that kind of money!!!  :eek:

Imagine if he were to auction off one of the several dozen vintage Strats he owns!!!

ErogenousJones said:
Ok, so Yngwie is talented. That doesn't explain why anyone should care that he's winding pickups.
As I said in my previous post, he, Seymour Duncan, and Doctors without Borders are auctioning off the pickups for DWB's charity work in Haiti.

It's like this: Baseball players don't make bubble gum, but some people collect Baseball Cards (which used to only come with bubble gum.)  Does anyone need a card with a baseball player's name on them? Do cards make baseball players faster?

Jesus Christ, it's a one-off collectible item being sold for freakin' charity.

I'm all for charity, and kudos to Yngwie for getting involved in a noble cause. I still don't really get the point of the item being auctioned. Why not auction off one of those vintage guitars of his (as someone mentioned above)? It'd certainly fetch an even bigger price tag. Or better yet, why not just write a big ol' cheque?

Chill out man. Cripes.

I think there was a convenience factor involved.  For whatever reason, Yngwie left Dimarzio and signed on with Seymour Duncan a few months ago.  He's recently spent time working on his new signature pickup designs with those guys. 

I imagine the subject of winding experience or techniques must have come up.  He was probably shown how to machine wind a few while he was there, and the idea might have just come up from one of the employees during the process.

If you haven't seen this, get ready to fall out of your chair. He has vintage Strats just stacked leaning against each other!!

[youtube=425,350]cQANhRXDDt0[/youtube]

Death by Uberschall said:
If you haven't seen this, get ready to fall out of your chair. He has vintage Strats just stacked leaning against each other!!

WWWHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :laughing3:

Death by Uberschall said:

Wow. It's really weird to see someone with a collection like that be so blasé about it. '54 Strat? Pff. They're just guitars, right? Wow.  :icon_scratch:

Back