Wipe-On Poly Application

I don't use steel wool at all.
Too many particles to contend with.
If using Tru Oil or Poly, and doing a clear coat with no filler having already been applied, I'll use some 800 grit sandpaper with the first couple of coats to effectively wipe grain fill with it, then I'll start doing several thin level coats, sanding between every few of them.  I'm not cheap with it, I'll get 10-15 coats on there to get a nice gloss by the time I'm done.
Then, fine grit by grit down to about 1000 grit, then buff/polish.

Bob Hoover Ross said:
Rob said:
I would recommend an absolute minimum of 5 thin coats. After the final coat, let it totally dry (days). I would then very lightly just breath over the body with 0000 steel wool in long, smooth, easy strokes. You'll feel the smoothness.

So are you *not* sanding between coats?

I generally don't sand between coats but I go by feel to decide if it needs a light sanding.

I would not allow steel wool within 100 meters of a guitar... there are enough alternatives that won't leave little splinters of steel everywhere including the pickups...

Absolutely everywhere, including in your skin. I don't even have any of the stuff in the house.

I have some for making vinegaroon but to use it on something really can give you a case of red dot.

Rgand said:
I have some for making vinegaroon but to use it on something really can give you a case of red dot.

I was wondering what this comment meant, but after googling “vinegaroon” I no longer want to know.....

I don't get the reference, either. But, there's a kinda funny article about vinegaroons are, what they do, how they reproduce, etc. here, if you're interested.

:laughing11:

Vinegaroon is a way of coloring leather and wood black. On leather, there's no better way to get a rich black.
OGI6qYw.jpg

Basically it's a natural dye. It has nothing to do with the bugs. :laughing11: :laughing7: :icon_thumright:

That makes more sense, since we're talking about steel wool. I think it's called "ebonizing" when it's done to wood.

I think you're right, Kevin. I tried some on a piece of swamp ash and it turned quite dark. It all depends on how much tanin is in the wood, I guess.

Yes. Oak, Cherry and Walnut come to mind. Supposed to be pretty effective, but I've not tried it yet so no first-hand experience.

Now that I think about it, the pickup bobbins on my Telerauder are ebonized walnut. They are pretty dark.
7dFTCw0.png

Back