Willow Build Thread

I’d rather do something simpler and then add that later, it’s not a must have and it’s way less stress for me

I once tried a concentric pot for tone control. I found it was super fiddly and hard to use. To me it seems like unnecessary complexity, and the ergonomic aspect is very poor IMO.

Just go for it. At the absolute worst you'll just have to get new pots. Unlikely though. And if you feel over matched bring it to a tech who solders all day long. You don't fly a plane, you really just hire the pilot, same, hire the guy who does this all the time. You have better things to do than be frustrated.

I had Tele with a concentric tone pot for a midrange boost. From Torres engineering, I think they are out of business. The mid range was a cool thing to have. My nephew has that guitar now and still going strong.

Build update, I have no idea what I’m doing with the concentric pots. Should I just abandon that idea for now and order some normal Tele ones? I’ve never done any wiring before and this part is kind of freaking me out haha.
Concentric are just two pots on top of each other. It’s not really different than individual pots. What are you trying to do?

Soldering is not hard, but there are a couple of things that need to be right. Firstly keeping the soldering iron clean from carbon and debris, and secondly being able to apply enough heat without overheating everything. A little bit of experience and practice can go a long way.

I had thoughts of concentric pots for my current Diamondback build and my future Tele build. However, I was uneducated about the fact that I would need long shaft pots for the rear rout bodies. I didn't/don't want to thin out the mounting area to make them work. Good thing I bought four of them :geek: ! Oh, well ... I've spent more money on "less". Maybe I'll use them some day. But, for now I'm just going to keep things simple. If I build a Hybrid Strat or Jazzcaster (or both) with a standard top rout control plate I might give it a shot. Seems like the control cavity could be a little snug, though. We'll see.

I've been having issues soldering the P-90s with braided wire, does anyone have any tips for that? Sorry for all the questions, it's my first build and I really don't want to screw anything up.

I'm in WA (15 minutes away from Warmoth HQ actually) but I have had some good experiences with a tech who works at a store near me

Isn’t tony flying squirrel near there? If he can’t help you he’ll know someone.

Also Google is your friend. There must be some reputable shops within 15 miles of your house. I have local guy that works in his house, and 2 shops, one mom and pop, and one large store not affiliated with a chain. Stay away from the chains. You need one of each.

Last edited:
Build update: I've had a chaotic month-and-a-half, but I'm picking up the fully wired body from @TonyFlyingSquirrel today at 3! I'm hoping to get work on the neck and bridge done by the end of this week, time permitting of course. I'll continue updating the thread as progress continues!

Body is completed on this nice long weekend! Neck should be relatively simple, all I have to do is attach the tuners. I’m waiting on my brother to laser cut a Warmoth logo in the back of the neck plate to add a little extra Warmoth pride, but after that it should be complete!

Body is completed on this nice long weekend! Neck should be relatively simple, all I have to do is attach the tuners. I’m waiting on my brother to laser cut a Warmoth logo in the back of the neck plate to add a little extra Warmoth pride, but after that it should be complete!
Can’t wait

Back