Will a Gibson conversion neck work on a Variax JTV-69?

Disco Scottie

I've heard everything from "hell yeah" to "no way in hell". Could someone kindly put me out of my mercy and please provide a definitive answer?

Bonus JTV-69 question: is the Warmoth side truss adjuster endangered by the neck bolt locations?

From what I have seen a Warmoth or Fender 25.5" neck has been used by Variax users including Jennifer Batten. So given the fact that they fit and intonate would mean that the conversion neck would also fit and I would say logically would also intonate as that is what it is designed to do on an instrument that has a standard 25.5" scale fender spec neck pocket and bridge location.

The neck bolt pattern is different but as far as I am aware it does not clash with the side adjust mechanism. But order some neck screws for Warmoth as the ones on the JTV may be a little on the small side.

Here is an example of someone who has a conversion neck on his Variax

https://line6.com/support/topic/29650-warmouth-necks-variax-guitars/

Thank you for that info! I guess I can finally start formulating what wood combo I want. I wish goncalo was still available as shaft wood.

Sure...let us know your progress and post some pics etc. It might be useful for others in the future...

I have a JTV-69S with a Warmoth Fender neck. Details of the neck I bought are below. Note that I put new tuners on as well (Planet Waves auto-trim) so the ream was for those.
The standard mounting holes do not line up. Your best bet is to order without pre-drilled holes (which costs extra by the way) and then drill them yourself.
I shied away from the side truss rod adjust but it might work.
The other mildly annoying thing is that the replacement neck doesn't have a matching contour on the lower heel like the Variax neck. It looks a little odd but does not affect playability for me.

Style: Warhead
Construction: Vintage/Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Roasted Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Roasted Maple
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Schaller (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: No Mounting Holes
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Black Face Dots
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
Finish: No Finish

Attachments

• variax.jpg
    variax.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 119
One other thing to be careful of if you convert to a Gibson scale...
This will lower the string tension. That shouldn't be a problem for the magnetic pickups but it may create an issue for the piezo saddle pickups that drive the Variax modeling.  You could alter the way the models sound.

The JTV-59 has a shorter scale (24 - 9/16") but I think the electronics are a little different to compensate. Might be worth checking with Line 6.

Back