Which woods can be made into a 1 piece V/M neck?

WindsurfMaui

Which woods can be made into a 1 piece Vintage/Modern neck that doesn't require a finish? Which woods can be made into a quarter sawn 1 piece Vintage/Modern neck that doesn't require a finish.

So I love my 1 piece Vintage/Modern neck maple satin finish neck or maybe I should say I used to. I know it was the last thing I played last night and I woke up this morning with it calling me to play it. (Strange but true). The thing is since buying that neck I bought an Ebony on Roasted Maple neck with stainless steel frets. I always wanted an Ebony fretboard Strat neck. I ordered it with a roasted maple shaft because of reading how many people here in the community loved them. And I became a convert. I will only buy raw wood necks in the future.  But I also want the 1 piece Vintage/Modern build  because the boatneck shape feels perfect to me.  So I know I can get a roasted maple in a 1 piece, but what other raw woods does Warmoth offer in a 1 piece Vintage/Modern build? All of the Goncalo Alves Vintage/Modern builds I see in the showcase are all 2 pieces. So is there any other raw woods that I can get in a 1 piece Vintage/Modern or even better a quarter sawn 1 piece Vintage/Modern? Thanks

That may be a call or email to the W.  The builder will not allow some choices due to availability. A call may rectify that.

I know until roasted maple came along, I used canary as the no finish needed substitute for maple.

Yes eventually I will call them but because I know they are backlogged right now I was hoping I would hear from other happy customers. They offer a number of quarter sawn 2 piece Vintage/Modern Goncalo Alves necks in the showcase. but I don't understand why a quarter sawn neck is in 2 pieces. I thought the beauty is making a quarter sawn in 1 piece unless the quarter sawn Goncalo Alves isn't as pretty as the quarter sawn maple is and so they want a prettier fret board and still have the strength of the quarter sawn shaft.

Somewhere around 2013 I called them and had that conversation. Sadly, I don't remember the details accurately enough to confidently put them here but I believe one part was that they may not necessarily be able to source neck blanks thick enough for some woods to do a 1 piece neck. I have a two piece Bubinga neck and fretboard combo that i have really liked. I know it wasn't available as a one piece option.

You clearly are on the right track in planning to reach out to Warmoth itself with your question. Sorry I can't shed more light on it but the above is what I recall from my contact with them a few years ago on the subject.

Back