Which fix bridge, nut, fret scale & string gauge are suit for 80's metal style?

Noom

Hi all,

I'm the one who grow up with this type of music and the song that I always play are from :

Ozzy's 1st album (standard tune)

Gun 'n' Roses (tune down haft step)

Motley Crue (tune down 1 whole step)

Now I'm going to order neck and body (strat or soloist) and I can play 24 3/4" or 25.5" and .009- .042 or .010 - .046

Which fix bridge, nut,  fret scale & string gauge are suit for 80's metal style and can tune the string like I have show above with minimum problems?

Thank you in advance for all answer  :)

80's metal has too many different things, but for these you said, I would say 24,75" and .011-.052 strings. Probably a '59 Roundback or Boatneck countor on a all Rosewood neck to have that LP tone ...

Nut would say bone, but you would have to make or ask a guitar tech to make for you. Fixed bridge could be anyone you want, but I would suggest the strat hardtail or Tune-o-Matic with string-thru-body (specially angled pattern)... Gives it a better look :icon_thumright:

dude is all prefference....the wood and pickups will play a more important role.  If you are playing 80s rock...get a whammy...kahler or floyd...I like the stainless 6105 fret myself an I play a lot of 80s stuff.  But... the other would should just as good...

agree with nonsence...heavy strings and a rosewood fretboard....

I course I feel I built the ultimate rock and roll machine with my soloist...but again...it is all to my taste...that is what makes building you own so great.

My 2 cents...get either a LP or soloist shape...they SCREAM rock and roll.

Well, for two of the three of the bands mentioned, Rhoads sometimes used an LP and ditto for Slash.  I don't know that Mars used LP's, although he might have, I don't know.  That said, if you don't want a trem, and want to go hardtail, then consider an LP, like Fernando said.  I'd use a TOM/STP, 24 3/4" neck, and .009's. 

the rock and roll machines....take your pick...built for rock and metal...the red soloist (Korina/maple) has EMGs 81/85 and the LP (mahogany/maple) has Dimarzio Evo Neck/Super 3

I did read that Mick Mars esed a LP when recording the album Shout at the Devil.  If you are going hardtail...LP is the way...for a whammy go soloist.  While the LP can have a whammy (mine has a wilke) they look better hardtail. 

Really look hard at the nexk profiles.  to me nothing feels better than the wizard...thin and fast.  While the standard thin is also a good choice.  I have a tele with the boatneck and it is good for strumming chords...again...it is all what your personal prefference...if you like the look of strats...a mahogany strat with humbuckers will rock hard!

Just to agree with the guys and emphasize: If you go on Soloist, get the carved top, will add the mass you want (all these guys got a big sound) and it looks damn nice  :glasses9:

What are you thinking on pickups?

Basically the orginal question doesn't make too much sense, since those things are basically individual preference. I couldn't stand .009s on a 24.75 personally (but then again I'm not gonna start playing motley crue either...)
But if I knew I would often be tuning down a full step, I would make sure to get the 25.5 scale neck. On my 24.75 LP, I have .010s and down 1/2 step is the most I can handle before it gets way to floppy for my taste.

tfarny said:
On my 24.75 LP, I have .010s and down 1/2 step is the most I can handle before it gets way to floppy for my taste.

That's why I said .011-.052 :)  With this set on LP I fell like .010 or less on a strat...

DocNrock said:
I don't know that Mars used LP's, although he might have, I don't know. 

he did use an LP- at least in this video....  this shite is bad ass btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Wp0I0EN88&NR=1

Thanks all you guys for the answers,

More question my friends :

1. If I change my mind to get the tremolo (non-recessed) on Soloist Body

Which tremolo bridge should I order between 6 hole vintage, fender standard or wilkinson that can stand for the variety of tune as above (I don't mind about string spread)?

2. Can I order convention neck 24.75"  24 fret extension and 7/8 body size like this topic from Warmoth?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=222.0

because they're not mention in the website. If you know the extra cost rate, please tell me or recommend the Warmoth staff who can give me the information about these.

Thanks in advance for all answers.  :)

P.S.  Dmraco, both of your guitar are very beautiful. :)

Answers:

1) depends on what your idea for the tremolo (in deed vibrato) use, would be like Eric Clapton = Strat, Dimebag Darrell = Floyd Rose... The Wilkinson for a moderate use (mind that with big dive bombs the strings would go out of nut)

2) can't remember exactly if is avaiable... I know that it is for 7/8 sized bodies, but it's a custom order with hand work extra charge...

NonsenseTele said:
Answers:

1) depends on what your idea for the tremolo (in deed vibrato) use, would be like Eric Clapton = Strat, Dimebag Darrell = Floyd Rose... The Wilkinson for a moderate use (mind that with big dive bombs the strings would go out of nut)

2) can't remember exactly if is avaiable... I know that it is for 7/8 sized bodies, but it's a custom order with hand work extra charge...

Thank you and can you give me the Warmoth Staff's e-mail because I think that I found the guitar spec that I'm looking for.

Thanks again  :)

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=540.0
Answered!

How it's

NonsenseTele said:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=540.0
Answered!

How it's

Thank you so much. :eek:ccasion14:

FYI, the 24 3/4" 24 fret neck is NOT an extension.  I just ordered one of these for a V2 that I have planned.

DocNrock said:
FYI, the 24 3/4" 24 fret neck is NOT an extension.  I just ordered one of these for a V2 that I have planned.

Thank you, it's mean that 24 3/4 fret neck can solve this problem

but the tension of the string still the same.

I understand correctly or not?

And won't solve the problem of the pic you showed... On any 24 fret neck, the neck pickup will have to go closer to the bridge... simple like that...

The 7/8 construction is completely different and custom, you'll pay more for it and pretty much will take longer to get it, but that's the only way to get the 24 frets on the 24 3/4" scale...

I would really not care about the 24 frets...

Back