Which Cases Suit the Gecko?

jagman

Hi, All.

I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster.

I need some advice from you Warmoth aficionados.

My first-ever build, being a Gecko Medium 5, has been completed and now I need a case to house my new pride and joy. I haven’t managed to find on the forum a definitive answer as to which specific cases can accommodate the Gecko. If there is, please accept my apologies for creating a redundant thread and just point me over there.

My preference is a moulded case with the TSA locks, more for security than air-worthiness.

When I ordered my kit, I found that the dedicated Gecko case was unavailable as Warmoth wouldn’t ship it to Australia. Looking for freight options I discovered that the cost of shipping was more than the price of the case, so I crossed that off my list and started to look locally.

I have found that I can source in Australia cases from SKB, Gator, TKL, CNB and MO.

My first selection was the SKB-44, but that is now unavailable in Australia, apparently. As prices are generally higher here, I haven’t seriously considered the higher spec SKB 3i 5014, but I would expect to pay A$400+, which is starting to get seriously expensive.

Gator has the GPE-BASS-TSA, which seems similar to the SKB-44, but I have been unable to get Gator to respond to my on-line enquiries.

The issue I wanted confirmed was that the offset angle of the Gecko headstock would have clearance in the cavity. I measure around 55 millimetres from the underside of the neck to the lowest point of the headstock. Is this a commonly expected dimension for this style of headstock?( The SKB site shows this style of bass resting comfortably in the SKB 3i 5014 case).

So, I welcome recommendations for brands and models of bass cases that will suit the Gecko ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• Jagman's Gecko5.jpg
    Jagman's Gecko5.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 291
Guitar Fetish has decent prices on Mid grade cases
But with HSC's you get what you pay for

TKL is the next step up, I believe they make most of the cases for Gibson these days.
Check SKB, Gator too, I feel a generic "All Purpose" style case would be your best bet.

I'll echo SSS's post above.

I have a Guitar Fetish tweed cloth bass hardshell case for my Baritone Telecaster.  It's on par with most wooden hard shell cases in its class.  Not as plush as some of the more expensive ones on the interior, but not just a big empty wooden box either.  It serves its purpose well.

I had a big SKB 5014W case for a keyboard I had for years, and while I hated shelling out the nearly $300 for it at the time that I purchased it, it more than paid for itself over the years from all of the load in/load out activity from gigging.

You really do get what you pay for in good cases.

There's a CNB "flight" case for basses on Rondo's site that you may want to look at. They're very heavy - I mean, these are some beastie cases and you certainly will never have to worry about the latches or hinges. But, they're not form-fitting for anything, really. They're the proverbial "big box" case. Still, for the money, it's a helluva lotta case. If you want form-fitting, you could probably get one of them and cut some foam yourself to make it as snug as you'd be comfortable with.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I have spent a lot of time researching the options from the on-line stores, but, as simple as it sounds, ordering such bulky items from the US of A to Australia is not really an option, due to the killing freight charges. I need to identify the cases that will fit the Gecko and then try to find one here in Oz.

My local music store can obtain all of the brands mentioned in my first post. I think I need to take a closer look at TKL and CNB.

I was hoping to take advantage of the experience of those other lucky Gecko owners who have already trodden this path and found the perfect case for their bass.

I'll go and do some more homework.

Thanks again.

Back