When did the site change?

hannaugh said:
We put "Baby Got Back" through Babelfish from English to German one time.  The first line was "I like big butts (not butt like a person's butt, butt like a cigarette butt) and I can not lie down."

It almost sounds like beat poetry!

I like it, seems a little more lightweight overall.  The Strat presentation is different, but I like it.

The only thing i really don't like, is how they have changed the preview images on the paint section. It seems like it's a script that changes colour on the same piece of wood - which results in us not seeing the actual finish on the actual wood.

hannaugh said:
mullyman said:
ByteFrenzy said:
I really like the look and feel of the site, it's just the automated translation that doesn't cut it for me. I had a look at Dutch, German and French, and neither of them are very good. And once you opt to have the site translated, getting rid of the translation is not very straightforward.

Just to give you an idea, on the homepage already, 'Build your custom neck or body online' becomes 'Bouwen aangepaste nek of instantie online' which is complete gibberish. A guitar has a 'hals', not a 'nek', even though both of them mean neck. 'Instantie' would refer to a political or organisational body, not a guitar body. That would probably just remain 'body'. So it should probably translate to 'BOUW online uw aangepaste hals of body'. Added complication to the automated translation is that words which are not in the dictionary remain untranslated, and something which is very easy to underestimate is that text which is not pure text (images containing text or flash) will not be translated at all. I think you can spend a considerable amount of time fine tuning this and it will still not make things much clearer to non-native english speaking visitors.

Yeah, the Japanese translations are quite a bit jibberish too. I think using a Google Translator is a bad idea. It probably makes more sense to non-native speakers straight forward in English. One thing I've come to realize all my years over here is that no matter what language you speak the terms for certain things usually come out in English with that country's own pronunciation.
MULLY

We put "Baby Got Back" through Babelfish from English to German one time.  The first line was "I like big butts (not butt like a person's butt, butt like a cigarette butt) and I can not lie down."

For extra fun, translate it back again and compare to the original.

+1 on the mechanical translation - just get rid of it.  It's not useful.

The Norwegian Guy said:
The only thing i really don't like, is how they have changed the preview images on the paint section. It seems like it's a script that changes colour on the same piece of wood - which results in us not seeing the actual finish on the actual wood.

Well, I can see your point, but, to be fair, all solid colors are pretty much going to look like that. As for trans colors, dye's, and bursts, well, even if you see an actual photo of a guitar, and order that same trans/dye/burst etc.... it's not going to turn out like that. Even with an actual photo it is only a general idea of what your order would look like. Especially on the bursts.
MULLY

I really like the more straight forward style.....its much easier to digest than having everything all over the place like before......and its true, no matter how many actual pics you see of a finished piece there is always some variation from batch to batch, so unless you buy show case already done your gonna get a variation of your choice, thats a given to custom made stuff.

Back