What's the highest frequency you can hear?

Jumble Jumble

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

My hearing tops out somewhere between 17 and 18 kHz. I'm just wondering how that relates to guitar playing - for example, can I still hear the difference between a 500K and a 250K pot at this point?

Jumble Jumble said:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

My hearing tops out somewhere between 17 and 18 kHz. I'm just wondering how that relates to guitar playing - for example, can I still hear the difference between a 500K and a 250K pot at this point?

For me it's 13kHz on this test.  However, I was good for up to 16kHz at a real hearing lab a few years ago.  I blame these latest results on my sound card :)

It's actually more complicated than whether you can a hear a given frequency in isolation. Your ability to hear varies with level (see Equal Loudness Contour). And lower frequencies can and will mask higher frequencies.

And don't forget the limited and ridiculously uneven frequency response of guitar speakers.

So you need to take those things into account as well.

And this is one of those areas where aging tends to make things worse too.

7 khz, constant tinnitus and pain here.  Guys, take care of your hearing, I stood if front of too many 100 watt stacks in the 80's and am paying for it now...

Even with my passive noise cancelling phones, the room noise is not that quiet. But guns, motorcycles, electric guitars, machine shop... Yeah, I've got a moderate notch at 4khz

It seems I'm good to 17K on this test.

As for comparing a 500K and a 250K pot, you're way past that. You'd have to be nearly deaf to not hear that difference.

I was right in between 17k and 16k. Interesting test since I thought that I'd be lower than that with the tinnitus I've got.

Between 18 and 19k, but I don't know if it's really a good thing that I can hear it — at that frequency, the sound is really ear-piercing.

I don't know about anyone else, but that first snare hit at soundcheck might as well be a 9mm going off right by my head. I have gone to in ear monitors in the last year, but too many years in front of Marshall cabs and cymbals on stage have got my ears ringing a lot of the time. My wife is not fond of how loud "we" have the TV volume. Some of the best audio in the world to me, these days, is the sound of a quiet car on the way home from the gig. :party07:

12k in one ear and 10k in the other (damaged the nerve in that one in a motorcycle crash 25 years ago and was deaf in it for a year - only hear about 60% in it now).  Lots of years of riding loud motorcycle and listening to music too loud.  I was actually afraid it might be worse.

Mine came in around 13K, not sure if my ears being a bit blocked with wax at the moment makes a difference.

I tried with 2 different pairs of headphones on my laptop and got very different results.

IOW, it's not what you'd call a "scientific" test and it's useless to try to compare results from different people testing under different circumstances.

Back