Oceanic Offset

zebra

Hello,

I've put a couple of Warmoth necks on other bodies, but this is my first body & neck assembled from custom-ordered parts and assembled by myself. 

"Oceanic" because it's Seafoam Green, "Offset" because it's a Jazzmaster body, but 24.75" scale and too much of a departure from both the Jazzmaster or Jaguar configurations to call it by either of those names.

It's a surprise gift for my girlfriend, configured around her preferences:  Jazzmastser body inspired by Elvis Costello, the presence of a trem and killswitch for the general purpose of making weird noises inspired by Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo), her favorite color blue, matte/satin everything wherever possible, vintage-size frets.

Body:  Jazzmaster, right-handed, alder, top route, H-S-H, satin Seafoam Green.  This is one of the original NFT Floyd orders that brought that routing option into being.  :icon_thumright:

Neck:  Jazzmaster headstock, Gibson scale (24.75"), maple/maple, standard thin neck profile, SS6230 frets, 10-16 compound radius, black face/side dots, LSR prep, vintage tint satin nitro.

Other:  Hipshot closed-back locking tuners, LSR nut, arcade-style killswitch from Tesi Switch, NFT Floyd Rose in satin black finish, Lace Alumitone pickup, pink speed knob from Guitar Parts Factory (via Reverb),
KGS brass trem claw (brass trem-block upgrade and Red Bishop trem arm are ordered and will be installed later). 

It was originally going to go with a DiMarzio Gravity Storm in pink, but it was on back order, and wouldn't have arrived in time for this guitar to be given as a Christmas gift.  It might still happen, if my girlfriend isn't keen on the Alumitone.  I've used this Alumitone pickup in other guitars and liked it, but always with 500k pots.  It's quiet, clean, crisp, tight low-end and loud, but the high-end can be a bit much.  I used a 250k pot for the volume control on this, and it takes the extreme high-end off while maintaining its general full-frequency, flat-response character while making the tone pot unnecessary.  Very nice.

The LSR/Floyd/Hipshot combo holds tune incredibly well.  Just shocking.  That being said, setting up Floyds is new to me, and I still need to tweek the setup a bit and set the intonation.  It's playable now (both the action and intonation are pretty good for assembly-stage ball-parking, but it needs that extra attention at some point. 

Hak99JX.jpg

dCyCLiA.jpg

QGkUpBS.jpg

What a cool present you have built.  :eek:ccasion14:

Great to see more folks using the NFT Floyd and LSR combo. You will like the Red Bishop arm when you get it. It is probably worth waiting till you swap the parts out before dialling things in further to save doing the work again.

Very nice! What a fine gift. I put a 24-1/2" scale neck on my JM and it's perfect. She'll love it.

That's a very clean job you've done there, and great choices. So simple and beautiful!  Your girlfriend's sure to be thrilled.

Back