What the fuzz??

KaiserSoze

Greetings all.  Terrible issue...terrible!!

I have a space on my board that is screaming to be filled.  I cant have that.  It's just taunting me when I play.  It's like a kid who has lost a front tooth and their smile is just screwed up without it.  Its driving me nuts.  I also have one more power thingy to use with it, so its double-hard to deal with.  Surely theres some kind of box I can put in there that will make me an amazing player....
Anyway, I've got two nice ODs on there, delay, tremolo, and whatever a Strymon Deco does, and an EP Booster and tuner.  I'm thinking a nice fuzz would be satisfying.  I had a Velvet Fuzz that I liked but sold, so am on the hunt again.  Like overdrives, there seem to be a billion out there.
Suggestions for a fun fuzz?  I go into a Mesa Express 5:25 Plus and play both humbuckers and single coils.  Probably looking for more Mick Ronson than Gilmour.

Just a thought, have you tried a ProCo Rat? It can be used as a Fuzz or as Crunch/Distortion..just a thought :)

treyhaislip said:
Just a thought, have you tried a ProCo Rat? It can be used as a Fuzz or as Crunch/Distortion..just a thought :)

Maybe.  I really like the distortion and crunch I have on the amp so I'm trying not to double up.  Thats one I've never had tho...

KaiserSoze said:
treyhaislip said:

Maybe.  I really like the distortion and crunch I have on the amp so I'm trying not to double up.  Thats one I've never had tho...

What amp are you using?

The ProCo Rat is a pretty cool pedal, a ProCo Rat Solo is pretty intense, more high gain than Fuzz though than the original one, IMO.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rat2?adpos=1t1&creative=102359641681&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAi4a2BRCu_eXo3O_k3hUSJABmN9N1kgdz1-fFpNKCK9LvAl6qKcxAp9TeBCh2s6w2kPz_IRoCD6_w_wcB

Here are some oddball pedals that might spark your interest ... or your amp ...

[youtube]5ATZFVWUAWM[/youtube]

On a more serious note:
Wampler makes great pedals and here's a demo of their fuzz Leviathan:

[youtube]HycMvNatLuc[/youtube]

When you say "fun fuzz", I think "fuzz that does weird, unexpected and unexplainable things". And that is the Zvex Fuzz Factory. It is surprisingly versatile and can take your tone to other planets, but it is formidable. You don't conquer the Fuzz Factory, you must earn its respect. Only then will the feedback stop.
:headbang1:

I don't even own a fuzz pedal anymore (I had and sold a Wampler Leviathan - it was OK but I found I never used it) since I get all the dirt I need from overdrives. But a friend loaned me his Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter for a while and I really liked it. It's unique feature is a variable voltage simulator, so you can get that ripping velcro kind of sound like when voltage is too low, or have a more conventional effect that is a great example of fuzz.

My favorite fuzzes:

If you like a Rat, check out the Mooer Black Secret.  It's  rat clone, but it sounds just slightly different than the modern Proco Rat, and I actually like it better.  (not really a fuzz, but it was mentioned earlier.)

If you want a really, really smooth fuzz, Mad Professor's Golden Cello is awesome, if you can find it.  They used to make it for Guitar Center, but it got discontinued and was (is?) sold on amazon really cheap. I think their current Fire Red Fuzz is the same thing, only without the delay.

I have a Mojo Hand Colossus that is really good for Gilmour-ish stuff; the only thing I don't like about it is that it really exaggerates on single-coil hum. Sounds great, though, and it's good a lot of different guitars, and I'd assume, with different amps. It's got that low-end power that you'd want from Russian/Civil war Muffs.

Malekko makes an awesome octavia-style fuzz, called the Helium. I really like it.  Like the colossus, it sounds good no matter what I play through it. There's two versions: one in a big box, and one in a smaller box. From what I understand, they're the same inside.

I bought a Blakemore Dreamcicle used.  I think they're overpriced, but it does nail the "Siamese Dream" sound.

I have two fuzzs by the company called "Basic Audio" (which, if you search on google, gives a lot of unrelated links) the Scarab Deluxe, and the spooky tooth. Both are pretty versatile within their types of fuzz, the Spooky tooth does the velcro-type fuzz thing really well, and I'll probably never want a fuzz face type fuzz now that I have Scarab.

And then there's the JHS Muffuletta, which is six flavors of Muff in one pedal.  I've never used it, but it's a pretty nifty idea.

Before the AxeFX I used a ProCo RAT and loved it.  It was great into a Deluxe Reverb and a Mayfly BC30

Nowadays with the AxeFx, I've got a model of the Deluxe being driven by....

.... that's right: a model of the ProCo RAT  :headbang:

My new Fuzz pedal, from Svi Sound, showed up today and I LOVE it. It's a Germanium fuzz pedal. I think it will be an awesome addition to my board though, which already contains a 1983 TS9 Tubescreamer and an Analogman Prince of Tone.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 289
You could go insane trying all the fuzz pedals that are available today - I don't know how anybody could ever know if they've got the right one.

Although not really a fuzz, if you're already insane, one of SRV's Tube Screamers is for sale here for $11,000 in the box, out the door. I'll bet If you bought that, you could play just like Stevie! What could possibly be wrong with that?

Can't really recommend the Mad Professor Golden Cello pedal.  I had several that really sounded good during their all too brief life span, but they all failed in short order.  After the third one I finally gave up and got a Zoom G3.  Probably why they are only available on E-bay.

Cagey said:
Although not really a fuzz, if you're already insane, one of SRV's Tube Screamers is for sale here for $11,000 in the box, out the door. I'll bet If you bought that, you could play just like Stevie! What could possibly be wrong with that?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEsjN6BEaE[/youtube]

Back