What kind of picks are y'all using?

mrpinter

I've recently been going through changes in my pick choices - using thicker picks instead of the ultra light ones I've used for years (except for acoustic, I still like a bit of flex for rhythm playing on my flat top). I'm finding that with the thicker picks I can play with a lighter touch, which lets me relax my grip on the picks somewhat AND use a lighter touch with my fretting hand. All of these picks don't twist in my hand like other smooth picks, because of the material used. Here is my current arsenal (starting with the lightweight acoustic pick) the second and fourth ones are 2.75mm. All of these are of cast acrylic and finished by hand.

Gravityclassicstd75.jpg

V-PickScreamer.jpg

Gravityclassicpntd2mm.jpg

V-Pickmedrnd5a.jpg

What are you using? Brand, material and thickness please.

Lately, the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2.0 mm, and the Big Stubby 3.0 as well.  I find I get performance comparable (not 100%, but similar) to the V-Pick, without the pricetag.

51U-tTOd-dL._SL500_AA300___56844.1293047251.1280.1280.jpg

61YJUMjVAeL.jpg

Bagman67 said:
Lately, the  Big Stubby 3.0.

I also like the Big Stubby when I want a heavy pick.  I use the 2.0, but after you hit a certain thickness, I don't know that it makes much difference...
I also have a couple buffalo horn picks that I like, but they seem to wear down really fast.
I have wanted to try the Red Bear Trading Co. picks and will likely be my next experiment.
:rock-on:

:icon_scratch: .... thought i'd seen this topic before.

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18835.0

I'd say on average I probably use a half-dozen or more on any given day - they're lurkin'... EVERYWHERE! :eek:

Jazz III Xl's, Clayton 1.36mm acetal, Ultex 1.0's (round side), Ultex 1.40mm "Sharps"... lately I've been into D'Andrea celluloid picks, the 1.5mm "Pro-Plec" and the 1. 21mm rounded triangle. At least half my picks have been modified with holes for grips, or the big triangles slimmed with three different points, or even...

PICKS WITH HANDLES!

Milliput epoxy clay is wonderful stuff.

Though if HAD to do the desert island thing, it would most likely be a X-Heavy  Golden Gate thumbpick, with the tip reshaped to make upstrokes and downstrokes even.

Updown said:
:icon_scratch: .... thought i'd seen this topic before.

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18835.0

Yes. But true glue cork sniffers can't get enough!  :icon_jokercolor:

Clayton Bone and Horn,
they come kinda rough so I sit in the evenings with a 120 grit sanding sponge to  finish shape and micro mesh pads to polish.

Idle hands and such...

Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz 1.14mm for the electric.

For acoustic, I toggle between the Cool (Ultra Cool SR Series, Medium) http://www.coolmusicinc.com/index.html
and the Graphtech Tusq Bright: http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-picks/bright-toned-tusq-picks

I've tried 'em all. Call me proletariat, but for me nothing works as well as a plain old Fender Medium.

double A said:
I've tried 'em all. Call me proletariat, but for me nothing works as well as a plain old Fender Medium.

This. Throw in a Fender Heavy every now and then and I'm set.

Jim Dunlop 1.0

Got them in bulk from a friend who worked in a guitar shop, there is now a pic on every flat surface in the house, drives my partner crazy

Bagman67 said:
Lately, the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2.0 mm, and the Big Stubby 3.0 as well.  I find I get performance comparable (not 100%, but similar) to the V-Pick, without the pricetag.

61YJUMjVAeL.jpg

+1 on the ultex jazz iii.

i also like the red orriginal jazz iii and the black ones aren't so bad. i tend to use the red ones on electric and the ultex on acoustic because i feel they are louder and they do have a great (but different) feel. the red ones have really low friction and are good for fast playing. they are also soft and seem to damp some pick noise so i tend to use them when i dont want to hear the pick. i also have some metal ones that can add some interesting harmonics on acoustics (aluminum sounds cool but drags, titanium has the best feel)

Funny thing about internet forums. People gripe if you necropost. People gripe if you open a new thread on something that's already been discussed once before. I'm sorry, this topic was decided once and for all 23 years ago, back on the dialup BBS. End of discussion.

It's taken me a long time to get used to the dunlop feel, but I like the stiffnes of dunlop yellow and orange. My guitar teacher got me into playing heavy a long time ago, and I'm just now recovering from it. Yes, it's more precise, and yada yada. But I find heavy picks slow my picking down, and I'm already slow enough I can't afford to give up too much of that.  I started back on the road to thinner picks with the 12 string. Cause you lose the air with a thicker pick on a 12. Mostly I just like the feel of the attack with thinner but not too thin picks.

I hear ya swarfat.
I like a very light Dunlop Nylon(white) .46 if I'm strumming an acoustic. Less grab and more air.
If I'm ever using a pick on a bass the nylon .46 is also my first choice.

For electric I seem to cycle between a few that are always here on my desk.
Dunlop plastic (pink) .46
Dunlop Tortex (almost red) .50
Dunlop Nylon (grey) .76
Fender (old school) medium
...but sometimes I'll grab the Dunlop Nylon(white) .46 for electric also
and rarely a Dunlop plastic (dark pink) 1.14mm

I've done more recording with the Dunlop plastic (pink) .46 and before that something almost exactly the same feel and thickness as the .46, than any other. Next in line is the Fender medium.
Back in the day when Louie Louie, Gloria and Hang on Sloopy where current pop tunes
it was always Fender mediums and I often sharpened them on the sidewalk.

If there was a zombie apocalypse and only one pick available I'd have to hope for a Fender Medium.

swarfrat said:
Funny thing about internet forums. People gripe if you necropost. People gripe if you open a new thread on something that's already been discussed once before. I'm sorry, this topic was decided once and for all 23 years ago, back on the dialup BBS. End of discussion.

Well said sir, well said. :icon_thumright:

Back