Votes: 22 24.7%
  • A pick

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Slapping

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Tapping

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Steve Harris of Iron Maiden blows the myth that you can't play fast w/out a pick.  His finger technique sounds like a heliocopter.  I kind of buy into the "real bass players don't use a pick," but realistically it's a tonal choice.  A pick sounds different than fingers, but it's a choice.  Paul McCartney has made more money as a bass player than anyone ever will, and he mostly uses a pick.  Jason Newstead has been the most tenured player in one of the longest running, commercially sucessful bands - a picker.  Mike Inez has always stood out as an anomaly to me as well.  He's made a career with Alice in Chains and a bass player for hire with Heart.  He only uses a pick and has said he can't use his fingers or slap, yet he will never have to have a real job.

Fingers or picks, who cares.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Steve Harris of Iron Maiden blows the myth that you can't play fast w/out a pick.  His finger technique sounds like a heliocopter.  I kind of buy into the "real bass players don't use a pick," but realistically it's a tonal choice.  A pick sounds different than fingers, but it's a choice.  Paul McCartney has made more money as a bass player than anyone ever will, and he mostly uses a pick.  Jason Newstead has been the most tenured player in one of the longest running, commercially sucessful bands - a picker.  Mike Inez has always stood out as an anomaly to me as well.  He's made a career with Alice in Chains and a bass player for hire with Heart.  He only uses a pick and has said he can't use his fingers or slap, yet he will never have to have a real job.

Fingers or picks, who cares.
Don't forget Robert Trujillo (Metallica) and Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse), they both use really fast three-finger-gallops.
I don't do slap because I don't know how the heck to do it :tard:

As far as bands I actually like listening to, there's probably just as many bassists using picks as not.

I actually remember getting a lecture on the "real bass players use fingers" thing by this older jazz guy who worked at my local shop in AC years ago. I also remember him ranting about how the "proper" way to hold drumsticks to a ridiculously good drummer I used to play in a band with.

Might as well tell people what to put on their hot dogs or something.

grandpasimpsonyellingatm.jpg

jay4321 said:
As far as bands I actually like listening to, there's probably just as many bassists using picks as not.

I actually remember getting a lecture on the "real bass players use fingers" thing by this older jazz guy who worked at my local shop in AC years ago. I also remember him ranting about how the "proper" way to hold drumsticks to a ridiculously good drummer I used to play in a band with.

Might as well tell people what to put on their hot dogs or something.

grandpasimpsonyellingatm.jpg
People who think they're better than the rest annoy me :tard:

Well voted on this and dont think i commented, but i use two fingers, im working on using a third, and as far as getting the speed for such things as megadeth peace sells, well im not using a pic more a xd camera memory card, as i have no plectrums, and only recently shed my no plectrum zone sign on my door, as i just cant get the fast intros of megadeth and such that use a pick just yet with my fingers.
As far as iron maiden goes getting the three note rythmn almost up to speed is alot easier with fingers than a pick for me.
So id say im going to be using a pick at times, but im trying to find a big chunky grey one my bass teacher once gave me, cause that felt so natural in my hand almost like it wasnt there.
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Jason Newstead has been the most tenured player in one of the longest running, commercially sucessful bands - a picker.
Im not entirely sure what tenured means so apologies if i get the wrong idea.
but as far as jason newstead being in metallica, he was brought in very soon after they lost cliff, having watched some kind of monster infinite times i know they say that choosing him was neccessity more than anything.
So basically my only pet peeve with people holding him in high regard is that he wouldnt be held where he is by alot of people if there hadnt been the sudden ness of cliffs departure.
Basically he was able to get many years off the demise of someone i feel alot more talented. Sure metallica wouldnt have continued without him, but i always wonder how they would have played had cliff still been alive, and where jason would actually have gotten.
Plus some people that hold him in higher regard than cliff in terms of bass melody, i mean theres not much melody to jason as there was cliff.
But not to sour this post and get people arguing with me, every man to there own tastes.
Just feel the world was done a great injustice due to the drunk driver of the tour bus that blamed it on "black ice" but thats another rant!

i actually hate the whole pick versus fingers argument, MAN UP and use both! they sound different and can have different effects musically in a whole range of musical circumstances.

Haha yeah i know i hate it now too, i was one of the fingers side before, but now i realise how useful picks are, so thank you i have manned up if thats the right reply.
My beef wasnt with the pick v fingers of cliff and jason, just how he got to be where he is due to the demise of someone more talented i feel.
Just for now my xd memory card is taking a beating as i never use my camera and was thinking...oooh right shape, come here you, and it almost works!

JimBeed said:
Im not entirely sure what tenured means so apologies if i get the wrong idea.

It really doesn't apply in the music business, as there's never any guarantee of anything (although with the modern abuse of copyright law, that's changing), but generally speaking it means an employee is guaranteed a permanent position. ie: you can't get fired or "laid off". Generally, there are certification and time-in-grade requirements. For reasons I don't know, it's usually only a reality in the educational or medical professions for professors or doctors, but it's sometimes used in business to mean your pension is guaranteed, even if your position is not, although in that case the term is usually "vested".

I'm sure in this case what they're saying is the guy's been at it long enough and is good enough that he doesn't have to worry about getting work. You could say that about players like Eric Clapton or Keith Richards, for example. Purely a judgement call, though, not any kind of legal reality.

So basically my only pet peeve with people holding him in high regard is that he wouldnt be held where he is by alot of people if there hadnt been the sudden ness of cliffs departure. Basically he was able to get many years off the demise of someone i feel alot more talented. Sure metallica wouldnt have continued without him, but i always wonder how they would have played had cliff still been alive, and where jason would actually have gotten.

Wow @ all this. Cliff died and Metallica needed a bass player to continue. Newsted had pro experience, auditioned for the job and got it. He was in the right place at the right time just ike everyone else with any success in the music business was at some point. He landed the dream job for probably every metal bassist around then so I say good for him. And for that matter, I don't think all that many folks claim Jason Newsted is a particularly great bass player, though I've seen him with Metallica live and he was very solid and a good part of the show.

Cliff was great and his accident was seriously unfortunate, but that's just how it goes sometimes. And in all probability Cliff would have probably started sucking just like the rest of the band eventually did. They have Trujlio now, and he's one the best out there now, and even he can't save that band.

Orpheo said:
Fingers and pick, I can do both, with equal results. for me, though, a pick gives me a bit more edge, and easier to pinch with a pick than with fingers.

Pikk (pick) means d*ck in Norwegian  :hello2:

The Norwegian Guy said:
Orpheo said:
Fingers and pick, I can do both, with equal results. for me, though, a pick gives me a bit more edge, and easier to pinch with a pick than with fingers.

Pikk (pick) means d*ck in Norwegian  :hello2:
:doh: I didn't mention it, 'cause I didn't want to upset people :laughing3:

feel free to substitute Pick with Plectrum. as i believe that's what it's called in the UK

Pick could also refer to what you do with a pickaxe :blob7:
Og det betyr "hakke" på norsk, Andreas :laughing7:

The Norwegian Guy said:
Orpheo said:

Pikk (pick) means d*ck in Norwegian  :hello2:

Norwegian people, stop playing with your pikk!! and Orf, stop pinching your pik!

* edit - I have the same problem with the word "kut".. really bad word in Dutch!  I still have to giggle about a bunch of hair salons in my direct neighbourhood that tried to think up funky names for their business.. .. we have Klassic Kuts, a Kut above, Elite Kuts, Linda's Kut and Kurl, and Kiddie Kuts!!  :tard: :sad1: :-\ :tard: :tard:

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
Snakker om selve uttalelsen av ordet jeg, vettu, småen ;)

The Norwegian Guy said:
Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
Snakker om selve uttalelsen av ordet jeg, vettu, småen ;)
:tard:
Jeg skjønte det, da... :doh:
Apropos, hvor høy er du? Jeg vil vite om du har retten til å kalle meg "småen" :dontknow:
Og hvis du refererer til noe annet, som tilfeldigvis har blitt nevnt :tard:, så må jeg bare si at du ikke har noen sjanse til å overgå meg :laughing7:

Back