Votes: 22 24.7%
  • A pick

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Slapping

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Tapping

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
I have heard just about every arguement there is concerning bass finger/pick/slap/tap/thumb/double-thumb usage
given my brother is what most people would consider an outstanding bassist with relatively SMALL hands.

What do *I* believe?  :evil4:

If you are new to the instrument, YES, the arguement that real bassists use fingers is quite valid.
If you don't get accustomed to doing it that way from the get go, I feel it could tarnish your affinity for the instrument and lead you into very unbasslike playing.
Are you a bassist or a guitarist on a bass?

If you have fingers down, it's a given that you probably have pick playing down pat just as well. Where do we go from here?
Learning to slap- yes, it's tough at first, but ignoring it is like turning your back on one of the most semi-exclusive techniques ergonomically available to the instrument.
YES, I know you can slap on virtually anything and that it is not really exclusive to the bass, but I feel the instrument was practically made to be SnP'd.
@LINE6MAN, I understand your points about how it does not really fit into the style you play, obvious and understandable, and I can completely agree with your not wanting to be associated with players you hate- it's a preference thing, I get it, I dig it. There are players we all hate (sorry to crack that can of worms).

Tapping is something you can pick up along the way that is not as related to the other options, but I think the next obstacle to tackle is getting your thumb in there more.
If you can slap, I think it's best to move on and try and pluck with it as well, or develop double thumb.
Anything to get more mutes, more rests, more stops, more rhytmic tricks and variance- thus Michael Manring being dropped into this discussion.

Where do we go from here? Well, I've never seen anyone hybrid pick on bass, but it's pretty much the light of my guitar-life. It's made everything difficult and new to me and I'll never stop loving the fact that I made the tough decision to abandon my playing dynamics as they were to develop something I thought I'd never ever be able to accomplish with efficiency.
Yes, if you haven't guessed, I'm a chicken' picker, more or less, but I try to keep my options open (alternate, economy, chicken, sweep, tap, and string skipping all have a well deserved place in my arsenal)

And the gay thing, the gay thing, hmmmmm....
well, I think Del Marquis (or Derek Gruen) the guitarist from Scissor Sisters is pretty good, and despite them being a mostly gay band, I will never deny how interesting they are musically.

No hard feelings, this is just what I've seen demonstrated more or less firsthand.

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
I do not know what is up with people. Times change, people change, music changes. Why do people always compare the band's new sound with the old one? The vocals sound different (ie. Metallica, James got older = James got a deeper voice), so the sound of the songs differs. Ain't that what we want? Do we want every song from, let's say Metallica or Sepultura (Got a new vocalist, many disliked the fact that Sepultura moved on) to sound the same? Would it look something like this?:
Album: Master of Puppets
Song 1:Master of Puppets
Song 2:Master of Puppets
Song 3:Master of Puppets
Song 4:Master of Puppets
Song 5:Master of Puppets
Song 6:Master of Puppets
Song 7:Master of Puppets
Song 8:Master of Puppets

Good bands are always going to change and evolve if they're around long enough, that's a given, and of course you want fresh material and not just a rehash of the old formula. But the idea is to evolve into something good, and they went from being the best band out, to a really good band, and eventually to a bunch of guys who should really retire. I'm glad you like the newer material but a lot of folks hate it, and I think that has a lot more to do with the content than the fact that it isn't Master of Puppets all over again. Even the Black record was reasonably good all in all, and that was a bit different than MoP.

They were an unreal metal band, but a so-so heavy rock band now.

I just personally have never been a fan of their music. I like a few songs but i can't say i LOVE the band cause i don't. To me it sounds uninterresting.

Back