• A pick

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Slapping

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Tapping

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Fingers.

I am not a fan of picks on either bass or guitar. Picks sound really plucky/scrapey/metallic to me, so i play guitar with my thumb. On the other hand, playing a bass with my thumb sounds very flabby and undefined to me, so i play with my fingers. I used to play with my thumb sometimes when i first started playing bass though, because it was a bit easier coming from guitar.

I am not into slapping. I used to like it when i first got into bass playing, but i grew out of it. I never could get the technique down anyways, and i play fretless exclusively now, which is the opposite sound.

Tapping is nearly impossible on fretless. :tard: Aside from maintaining intonation, the strings don't have the same "fret sound" to them when you tap them down.
I really love tapping on fretted basses/guitars though, but unfortunately, i am really bad at it, so i don't use the technique.

I love Steve Vai's tapping on "Building the Church". (The G3 version, not the synthesizer/digital crap he did on the album version)
I really wish i could do that!

One finger, or a pick.  Playing with one finger is a "bad" habit I developed early on (but it has never felt limiting), but I learned later that His Funky Highness James Jamerson himself also played generally with one finger, so I don't feel too bad about that.

50% two-fingers, 50% pick....based on the survey results...this is definitely a forum filled with guitar players.
:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

I saw the thread title "what do you play with", then laughed when I saw 2 fingers, 3 fingers, slapping, etc.

I'm dirty  ???

Fingers and pick, I can do both, with equal results. for me, though, a pick gives me a bit more edge, and easier to pinch with a pick than with fingers.

Usually 2/3 fingers, depending on style, but I will use a pick for some punk styles (though not all).  I think it's best to master all these techniques, and realize their strengths and weaknesses.

-Mark

UTSC said:
I saw the thread title "what do you play with", then laughed when I saw 2 fingers, 3 fingers, slapping, etc.

I'm dirty  ???

Ahhahahahah!  That's terrible.  :laughing7:

Orpheo said:
Fingers and pick, I can do both, with equal results. for me, though, a pick gives me a bit more edge, and easier to pinch with a pick than with fingers.

That was my first reaction too, I even linked a friend hahaha.

-Mark

I do the 2 finger way... altho I'm a bit surprised I'm the only person who has put tapping.. I love doing tapping on the bass, but it is a bit difficult..

2 or 3 fingers, pick, tapping, 'feathering', and/or slapping (could even use all of these techniques within a single song, or only use one technique for an entire set) and I'm also know to utilize a french bow when I need to indefinitely sustain pedal tone on my EUB...

I'm not dedicated to a specific technique because I instead focus on whatever suits the specific song arrangement best

same goes for choosing between 4/5/6-string fretted or fretless and my Azola Bug II electric upright

all the best,

R

depends on the guitar.  I cannot fingerpick an electric guitar..  i dont know why but I just can't. unless the action is nice and high and the strings are heavy.

I'd say im 75% pick (nylon .60) and 20% 4 fingers. (5% ebow)

VA - you did read that the question is "how do you normally play your BASS" - right?

for purposes of this thread, we don't give a hot-tooting-poodle how you play your stinkin' gee-tar!  :laughing8:

:toothy12:

all the best,

R

I can play with 2 fingers, but I prefer using 2 mm. Tri-Big Stubby Picks,
1144733205_TRI_STUBBY_473_250x185.jpg
, because I find it easier to count notes, especially if I'm playing fast in an unusual time signature, like 6/8. The Tri-Big Stubbys sound just like my fingers with just a little sharper attack.

I didn't / wasn't allowed vote my choice - "pick 2", only 
soundchick.gif

What happened to all the above plus thumb (and not just when slapping)  :dontknow:

1 to 2 fingers on bass, and I'll simulate a pick if need be with my thumb and index finger.  Basically the same movement of holding a pick, but I'm not.  My index finger in a downstroke mimics the sound pretty good.

I'm a finger picker on guitar as well.  For chording I'll do the bass string(s) with my thumb and pluck the higher ones two or three strings at a time.  Or, I'lI do a down stroke led by the middle finger that ends with the hand opening up.  I don't have these guys' skills, but I'd compare my non-picking guitar style to Linsay Buckingham, Mark Knopler, or even Chet Atkins.

I'm a guitarist.  But I have classical experience as well as rock.  So I'm pretty good with fingerpicking and regular old plectrum stuff.  So when I play bass, I use those skills.

Back