WGD Quilted Maple... Orange Finish

ninjachef

So here we go...My second official Warmoth build has begun.  One coat Fiebing's leather dye Orange.  Sand off by hand to ensure an even color and an even qulit.  Hit it the second time with Trans Tint mix of honey amber and lemon yellow in denatured alcohol (Honey amber warms the yellow pretty nicely)...  To be continued.

Attachments

• IMG_0578[1].JPG
    IMG_0578[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0576[1].JPG
    IMG_0576[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0581[1].JPG
    IMG_0581[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
So I let the color set up overnight.  I started to apply the tru oil today.  I have zero faith in my ability to not screw up a spray finish.  I also enjoy the zen aspect of hand applying the finish.  Here it is after 2 coats.  I will probably apply around 12 total, and I will leave it satin finished and just buff it lightly by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0585[1].JPG
    IMG_0585[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0587[1].JPG
    IMG_0587[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
Looks good so far and same shade of Warmoth's amber finish. Reminds me of a tele body I had finished in this color.
The quilt top on yours is beautiful.

Here we are at 6... I'm thinking 4 more should be plenty.

Attachments

• IMG_0594[1].JPG
    IMG_0594[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
That is looking amazing so far. Reminds me of a couple of Gibson SG Supremes I've seen.

So... this after 10 coats of tru oil... the last coat went on very well with no streaking... I am calling this done.  The neck is on order... now I wait.

Attachments

• IMG_0604[1].JPG
    IMG_0604[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Great Ape said:
Nice work!! That is Hot Stuff indeed! :icon_thumright:

I am new here and extremely new to guitar fabrication, but have had the pleasure of seeing your work... I take that as a compliment of the highest order from such a craftsman.  Thanks!

Quick update... I couldn't bring myself to put a plastic backplate on this new build.  So I went out of the old comfort zone and just made one . Results shown. As I got it and with the finish applied, then after one coat of tru oil.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0608[1].JPG
    IMG_0608[1].JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0609[1].JPG
    IMG_0609[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0612[1].JPG
    IMG_0612[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Ninja I think that's incredibly admirable. I would like to do that to my recent build. You have inspired me

That is sharp! Coming along very nicely!

As for the Babicz part, I agree. Looks really good on there. I've wanted to use one of their bridges for a while now, so I bought a black one (vibrato version) to put on the white Jazzmaster I currently have in process.

Cagey said:
That is sharp! Coming along very nicely!

As for the Babicz part, I agree. Looks really good on there. I've wanted to use one of their bridges for a while now, so I bought a black one (vibrato version) to put on the white Jazzmaster I currently have in process.
That will look killer...

Back