August 2016 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

GOM

We are now announcing the August, 2016 Guitar of the Month contest!  August's contest will be "owner/non-professionally finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain a maximum of two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.  Send your submission in plain text email.  Your photos must be attachments to the email.  Your unOfficialWarmoth Forum user name must be included in the body of the email.

In turn, your images will posted to this message, which is August's submission thread.

Submissions will be accepted from now until August 8th, so get your cameras clicking!

As usual, discussion about the submissions can take place below.

Please do not post additional photos in any replies to this thread.  Links to other UW threads or external sites are fine. Links will not be included in the entry descriptions.

Please try to stick to the entry requirements:
1024x768 pixel images maximum as attachments please, not embedded in the email or linked to external sites.

Include your UnOfficialWarmoth Forum user name.

Owner or other non-professionally finished instruments only this month.

Sorry, but entries that do not meet these requirements may not be included in the contest. If you're having technical difficulties, get in touch!  (But only about contest entries please!)

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1 Gravity Jim

Guitar name: Zencaster

Warmoth chambered mahogany/mahogany body, finished in Danish oil and beeswax (no wood filler).
Warmoth neck, compound radius 10-16”, select ebony fingerboard, 6105 frets, abalone dots, bone nut, vintage-tint satin finish (by Warmoth).
EMG X-series pickups, wired Vol., neck Tone, bridge Tone.
Solid ebony pick guard (and matching back plate) in gloss nitro by Rocco Guitars.
Gotoh vintage-style bridge plates, GraphTech saddles, Calaham block and custom trem arm.
Schaller locking tuners with ebony replacement keys.
Can’t remember where I bought the neck plate, but engraved on it are two kanji characters representing “beautiful gift,” the common kanji descriptor for “Zen.”
Cloisonné yin-yang badge from a shop in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
Custom headstock decal ink-jet printed, featuring a Fender-like logo based on my signature. (Note the soft drop-shadow under the sig.)

This isn’t a recent build: the finish is completely waterproof, but it took two years to fully cure, with fresh coats of beeswax being applied over 10 coats of Danish oil… at first it was waxed once a week, then eventually twice a month, once a month, every other month, etc.  It now only requires a reapplication once a year or less.  The goal was to create a finish that gave the guitar the vibe of an old cello.

2ZYKv1K.jpg

uq81obF.jpg

Guitar #2 Swarfrat

Warmoth chambered Black Korina strat, tung oil finish
Warmoth roast maple baritone fatback neck with GD6100 gold frets, ebony fingerboard
Wilkinson VS100 tremolo
GFS Memphis humbuckers
Roland GK2

5EEyUWa.jpg

pAw0HNA.jpg

Guitar #3 Tweed

Body: Warmoth showcase Ash, Minwax blue stain, Minwax Wipe On Poly
Neck: Warmoth boatneck Purpleheart, Pau Ferro fretboard
GFS hardware and electronics except for Warmoth Modified Bridge, tailpiece

TcHMTsr.jpg

MLMRpbW.jpg

Guitar #4 Ninjachef

WGD Quilted Maple with a Amber Flame finish
Warmoth neck Roasted Maple
Zircote fretboard
Mother of pearl dots and side dots
DiMarzio Dominion Pickups Neck and Bridge
Custom Backplate
Custom Neckplate
Push/pull coil split
Gotoh Tuners
Orange Annodized knobs
DAddario NYXL strings

PxUjUBt.jpg

i804U2W.jpg

Guitar #5 Kuro Uma

Body is figured black korina\UC flamed roasted maple
Bare Knuckle Black Hawk and Cobra
Graphtech Ghost loaded Floyd Rose
Ebony knobs and all black hardware
Custom neck heel and recessed bolting
5MW girlie tattoo...

Flamed roasted neck and fretboard. angled paddle head cut to custom headstock design
Heel shaped to match the custom neck pocket
Hipshot tuners
Black block inlays and binding

All black hardware

g7fE8PT.jpg

Qv1iY3P.jpg

Guitar #6 crunch777

Model: Jazzmaster Bass 4
Orientation: Right handed
Wood: Swamp Ash
Pickup Rout: P Bass® (Standard Split Set), J Bass® (Bridge, 3 3/4")
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour

A couple of years ago I took a pawn shop 2005 MIM Blue P-Bass and started to make is more black by replacing parts. I finally decided to buy a jazzmaster bass body and make it black to get it even more black!

This is a Angelus Black Leather Dye with Tru-Oil.

Warmoth pick guard.
Fender P-Bass MIM Neck from 2005.
HipShot tuners with drop tuner.
Quarter Pound P with Hot Stack J pickups.
2 volumes, no tone
Babicz Bridge

iV7K3Xm.jpg

HzHL76j.jpg

Gravity Jim is our first contestant! Best of luck!

Please remember to include the required information with your entry - like your forum user name. If you don't, your entry will not be included.

Also, while there's no lower size limit, pictures in the 800x600 to 1024x768 (max) range are recommended. Tiny photos are not the best way to show off your beloved instrument!

Now how the heck do you choose between two very similar and beautiful guitars?

You could always just vote for the longest running Warmoth project ever.... :icon_biggrin: Bought the body in like 2009 or 2010.

swarfrat said:
You could always just vote for the longest running Warmoth project ever.... :icon_biggrin: Bought the body in like 2009 or 2010.
:icon_biggrin:

Oh yeah. Forgot: Earvana nut, tung oil, GFS locking tuners, and currently strung 12-56, wound 3rd, tuned C to C# in all fourths.

Looks like it's Strat City this time around! These are all so beautiful.. all my style of strat, too.. mighty jealous!

oil finished strat city. Though I think bridge and pickups define guitar family more so than shape.

Longest running project?  Weeellll.....

The Zencaster began life as a Mexican Fender Strat, purchased new in 1996. I replaced the body first the first year Warmoth offered the "hollow" (chambered, that is) Strat body.  Then the pickups, then the neck, the bridge, another set of pickups, the nut, and then the pick guard and trem cover.  Just a few months ago, I had a custom neckplate made for it... up until then, it still had one original part, but now it's no longer a Fender at all.

So it's got an 18-year development cycle.  :icon_biggrin:

Not to be a killjoy, but that lovely canary-topped job Frown submitted is a Warmoth factory clear finish, no?  Beautiful guitar, and worthy of votes in a pro-finish contest, but this is a DIY-finish month, innit?

Bagman67 said:
Not to be a killjoy, but that lovely canary-topped job Frown submitted is a Warmoth factory clear finish, no?  Beautiful guitar, and worthy of votes in a pro-finish contest, but this is a DIY-finish month, innit?
Oops. Must. Pay. Attention.

Sorry frown. Next time.

Wow, GravityJim has me beat on that?? I got a bunch of leftover parts from this one as well. A  wenge Warmoth neck sitting in a closet (with one goobered up threaded insert boo sniff). Complete Ghost pickup set, only thing current left in is the 13 pin jack and driver board for it.) Oh yeah, even a set of GFS Mean 90's. (And a trem arm and knob my 3yo lost while playing in the music room. Will probably find it inside a cymbal stand one day when he's 16.)

I'm pretty sure the 24.75" Wenge fatback can be saved. I just haven't had the guts to try and save it myself. And I'm loving the baritone anwyay.  It's a far cry from the original voicing as well - which was supposed to be all soft and sweet midrangey LP Jr thing. Now it's a super bright crip tight almost twangy baritone crunch machine.

GOM said:
Oops. Must. Pay. Attention.

Seems I need to do the same too!  :doh:

Next time... next time...  :evil4:

:icon_biggrin:

P.S. Good call on the  :redflag: Bagman67  :eek:ccasion14:

Back