Wenge neck—what body weight to make it balanced?

Stew

Hi folks,

Newby here, so be prepared for stoopid questions!  :doh:

Thought it made more sense to post this here because I'm looking for advice from wenge neck owners (apologies if this is the wrong place).

Planing my first build; mahogany (or korina) body (not sure which style yet), dual humbucker with a Warmoth or Les Paul wenge 24 3/4 neck with ebony board. My question is what sort of weight should I be looking for in the body to balance this neck—probably going with 59 roundback?

I'm not a big guy so I'm looking for a body toward the lighter end of the mahogany/korina weight range. I've seen showcase bodies around 4 to 4.5 pounds. Once the hardware is on (probably TOM and Stop TP) and if I use lightweight tuners (Sperzel SoundLock or Hipshot Grip-Lock or others—suggestions?) am I gonna get neck dive with a body rated at around 4 pounds?

One other related question—Les Paul or VIP, is either better at avoiding a neck heavy guitar?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Stew

If you're concerned about neck dive, anything with an upper horn will have less than those without.

Haven't bought my neck yet, but that recipie sounds familiar.

I have a 24-fret 24 3/4 scale wenge neck with macassar ebony fret board on a swamp ash 7/8 Strat body.  The body weighs something like 3lbs. 4 oz. and I have not experienced any neck dive.  The wenge neck is fast and feels great.

gstring120 said:
The body weighs something like 3lbs. 4 oz. and I have not experienced any neck dive. 

Now that's what I wanted to hear  :icon_thumright:

gstring120 said:
The wenge neck is fast and feels great.

... and that I already new!  :headbang:

Thanks all for the replies.

Back