wenge/ebony vs canary/ebony

dani

hey guys,

will be building a 7-string tele with either a walnut or swamp ash body and warmoth's 25" scale neck - either a wenge/ebony or canary/ebony combo.

can someone with experience on both wenge/ebony and canary/ebony care to share if canary or wenge feels sleeker/faster and what is the tonal difference between both combos? i've read here that a canary/ebony combo is very similar to a maple/maple neck.

i am favouring the canary/ebony combo at the moment since canary is lighter in weight compared to wenge. teles can be pretty prone to neck dive especially if a lighter piece of swamp ash is used. of course, neck weight won't matter if i am going with walnut.

thanks!
dani

I have a wenge/ebony neck, a canary/canary neck, and a canary/pau ferro neck. Wenge has open pores that give it a pretty rough texture. This feels great as you play because the friction as you slide up and down the neck stays very consistent, even when you sweat. Canary seems a little smoother to me than wenge, but still has a great texture and stays consistent as you sweat. They both feel better than any finished neck (or any other raw neck) I've played. Most say that the sound of wenge is in between maple and mahogany, and I would have to agree. Canary, on the other hand, is very bright like maple. The color also looks like maple with an aged finish from a distance. I would choose between these two based on sound first, looks second, and feel third.

I have both wenge/ebony and canary/ebony necks on builds.

Canary/ebony is about the same weight as a solid maple neck and sounds very similar.

Wenge/ebony is a little heavier and a little brighter in tone.

Boner Face Deluxe said:
Luke has both... ask him....  :laughing7:

Marko lies, I have Wenge/Ebony and Canary/Ziricote.

That being said, I find myself using the wenge more.

Luke - So would you say your Wenge / Ebony is more solid sounding in the mids and also has more highs?

I can't really say.. my wenge is with my gilmour emg's and my canary is with GFS' pups.. but.. even through that, I'd say the Wenge "probably" has more mids, it's just hard to tell with that EMG setup, since you can change it so much with the roll of a knob or two..  :dontknow:

thanks guys.

so i gather that wenge/ebony is brighter and heavier than canary/ebony? also, is canary sleeker and smoother in feel compared to wenge?

dani said:
thanks guys.

so i gather that wenge/ebony is brighter and heavier than canary/ebony? also, is canary sleeker and smoother in feel compared to wenge?

My canary is a hair sleeker and smoother than my wenge, I can say that with full authority, as I just tested them both.  :icon_thumright:

I thought Canary was brighter (more like maple) then Wenge (which is a mid-range wood), if only slightly brighter.  Wouldn't having an ebony fretboard on both would almost nullify the minor difference and make them pretty equal?

I have a Wenge/Ebony and Maple/Rosewood neck combo on identical basses - same body woods, harware, and pickups.  By all acoounts the Maple should sound similar to Canary.  Neither is better or worse, just different.  I find the Wenge (on a bass) to be low-mid/mid heavy compared to the Maple.  Take that for what it's worth remembering it's on a bass.   

Back