Wenge/Bloodwood on Mahogany (Black) VIP

AutoBat

I'm only noticing now that I have not made a completed thread!

Specs:

Neck:
Warmoth Headstock, Pro Construction
Wenge/Bloodwood
SRV profile
SS6150
Grover/Gotoh tuner route
1 11/16" R4 Nut
Black face dots/White side dots
10-16 Compound radius

Body:
Chambered Mahogany VIP with Maple cap
Black gloss
EMG 81X/85X
Original Floyd Rose
Schaller Straplocks
Boring plain neckplate (don't worry Doug, I haven't forgot about you!)

Headstock closeup
542960_3702233325078_846192173_n.jpg

Next to its stablemate
603312_4480031289541_1923445521_n.jpg

304592_4480032489571_331069709_n.jpg

Back grain shot
533346_3723131767526_2050758836_n.jpg

As I had finished this guitar in early March 2012 and today is November 1, 2012. I have broken my first string.  Tomorrow I shall get her cleaned up & shiny for some proper outdoor photos.

Very nice! The red fretboard against the black body is sublime. Then, stainless frets... it's gotta play like a dream.

:headbang: .... Black !!  Sure is Black & I love Black.  :toothy10: 

That neck is a killer too  :icon_thumright:

:dontknow:  Looks like your deck needs some stain thou.

AutoBat said:
Boring plain neckplate (don't worry Doug, I haven't forgot about you!)
He's still waiting  :laughing7:

I'm a big fan of black guitars, too. Also, VIPs. Also, Bloodwood. Needless to say, I'm very attracted to this one. Fine piece of work, well-conceived and executed.

Updown said:
:headbang: .... Black !!  Sure is Black & I love Black.  :toothy10: 

That neck is a killer too  :icon_thumright:

:dontknow:  Looks like your deck needs some stain thou.
Thanks!
As for the deck, I bought the house in October and it promptly got too cold to do a proper cleaning & sealing for the deck.  I have no choice but to wait until Spring.

Judging by the lawn and the deck and what I can see of the background, you're going to have a constant battle keeping that deck clear of mildew due to the shade of all those trees. You're also going to suffer indoor spiders. On the plus side, your air conditioning costs should be reasonable.

Had a similar setup the last place I lived, and it was that way until nearly all the trees were taken out one year (ongoing disease). The lawn/deck/spider situation improved dramatically. Electric bill skyrocketed.

Sweeeeeeet build :icon_thumright:
I guess you could say I am a fan of black guitars also since I own four of them.
I am really diggin' that neck.  I love wenge and the black face dots on the blood wood looks nice!
How do you like the blood wood fingerboard?  I have almost gone that route a couple times.
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Think of Bloodwood as dark red Ebony and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's very hard, very dense, and so finishes very smooth. If you're even thinking about it, just do it. You won't be sorry.

Cagey said:
Think of Bloodwood as dark red Ebony and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's very hard, very dense, and so finishes very smooth. If you're even thinking about it, just do it. You won't be sorry.

Thanks Cagey! :icon_thumright:  Sound like I'm gonna have to try one because I really like the feel of ebony.
Does it oxidize and turn brown with age like padouk???

I had four trees taken down and the others cleaned up a few weeks ago.  I'd rather deal with them now instead of letting them fall on the house.

The bloodwood feels quite similar to ebony as Cagey said, although maybe slightly less slick.
I'm not sure about discoloring, I've had it outside twice and one was for this shoot (it was early & overcast), and the other was for a 15 minute transport to & from a friends house.

Black Dog said:
Thanks Cagey! :icon_thumright:  Sound like I'm gonna have to try one because I really like the feel of ebony.
Does it oxidize and turn brown with age like padouk???

It will darken, but it takes a long time and it's dependent on exposure to UV (UltraViolent light), not oxygen. Keep it out of the sun and any tanning lamps you may have burning around the house, and it'll maintain color longer. Still, we're talking years here, not months. Even then, it just gets richer/darker. It's not like Padouk or Purpleheart where it actually changes color. You'll love the stuff. You'll sell the body and all its organs before you''ll sell the neck because you'll want to use it on your next build. Seriously. It's like the best neck wood extant, although I wouldn't want to compete with Pau Ferro. They're both pure sex - it's a matter of color choice, really. Put an Ebony fretboard and some stainless or gold frets on either of those and you'll never take the thing out of the house for fear of loss.

Back