weirdest / strangest pickups ever?

I've tried the q-tuners on a couple Knucklebasses.  (http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/).  Not bad but there was nothing that absolutely blew me away.

-Eric.

I have a set of the Alumitones. Maybe it was the guitar they were in but It wasn't what I was after. They may work for someone else though. In fact they are just collecting dust and I should get rid of em'. I have a pickguard I hacked up to try em out in too. If anyone would want to purchase them from me for less than original cost I would throw in the pickguard free. They need a good home.

-TT-

CD said:
That sound clip was a little out there, but I'm not sure I'd blame it on the pickup itself, because there are so many effects going on it seems.

i did some research, i didn't find out any thing about the guitar pickups, but the bass demo had some similar FX. i found a guy that uses the bass pickups, and he made a demo and it sounded really good. im probably going to buy one now.

ferrofluid.jpg

Lace pickup line has some strange ones, but those Qtune pickups... I think they're a good runner up

From their web page:

"Q-Tuners are a revolutionary new approach to passive pickup design. They combine the hi fidelity punch of an active with a signal clarity unavailable anywhere else. Their resonance frequency appears further up the sound spectrum providing a 1:1 conversion of your performance to electrical signal. In fact they're so good, they faithfully reproduce the delicate harmonics between 5 and 10 kHz, a frequency range active electronics "filter" out and other passives don't even see."

The tone control they suggest should roll off highs before 5 kHz.  Even if the tone controls on the guitar does not roll off the additional highs, most guitar amps roll of the high frequencies before this point as well, so any gain in harmonics in the 5 and 10 kHz range will not make out of you amp.  It is also my experience the more sensitive a pick is, the more unforgiving the pickup is, and the harder it is to get a constant sound. 

Looks like Sushi, and the more Im hearing from the guys who've had em it sounds like Sushi too............. :laughing7:

that black stuff is just a liquid they put on, it shows the magnetic field created by the pickup, it says it right in the caption of the picture, so get the sushi out of your eyes so you can see it.  :laughing7:

DiMitriR33 said:
http://www.q-tuner.com/gl7.shtml
check these out. i stumbled on the link a few months back. i wonder how they sound?

One of the guys at Sevenstring.org became an endorser/beta tester on those early on.  He really digs em.

dbw said:
Those clips sound awful.  Give me a humbucker any day.

No joke.  That's pretty bad.  And three of this guys posts are for these pups, I HATE when people do that.

I have the Alumitones in my Les Paul.  They are super super clear sounding when I play on clean settings.  After I've been playing it for a while, other guitars seem inarticulate in comparison.  They are also really loud so I don't have to turn up my amp that high, which is weird but nice.  There is absolutely no sound whatsoever if I am not touching the strings On the other hand though, I find myself wanting a little more firepower when I play rock.  I'm going to replace them eventually, but I will definitely keep the Alumitones around for a future project.

Back