Water based metallic finishes?

waygorked

Folks,

Are there any options for spraying metallic finishes similar to Fender Shoreline Gold or Inca Silver with something other than nitro? My VOC allergies have finally reached the point where spraying nitro is no longer on my list of options.

Suggestions?

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious if you've tried a good respirator?

051138542511.jpg

The one I have came from 3M and I can't even tell I'm spraying nitro. It filters so well, you can't even smell the acetone. The dust filters many guys use are next to useless, but a good respirator is a wonderful thing. I think I only paid about $35 for mine. The one pictured above is at Lowe's for $32.

Thanks for the reply. I have the same respirator pictured. There is no way for me to work with nitro at all until it is fully cured, alas.

LMII carries KTM-9, a water-based finish that seems to enjoy a pretty good reputation.  I don't know how well it functions as a carrier for metallic powders or pigments, but I bet you could contact LMII and find out what they say about it.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/finishes/ktm-%E2%80%93-water-based-finish

Back