Water based acrylic for painting

kilombo

Hi,
  I've read almost everything I could, and definitely there seems to be various ways to do a DYI finish and I am not sure which way to go. I'm planning to work on a basswood body, and use water based acrylic for the color. I'm not sure how to do that. From what I've read first thing is using a grain filler and sanding. Next step before applying the acrylic water based is what I am not sure. Should I use a sealer ? primer ?  From there I would apply the acrylic water based paint. And I've seen that then applying truoil, and then some wax for polishing ends up looking good.

Before applying the acrylic water based paint, is applying a sealer, primer or something recommended ?

Thanks.

Directly paint on wood is better as it more behaves like paper.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/q5mtU3zZTTw[/youtube]

[youtube]qn3uS_sKerw[/youtube]

Are you referring to artists' acrylics?

It depends on the effect you would like to achieve. If you would like to have a transparency--like a watercolor effect, you can paint directly into the wood.
If you would like more solid color, more of an oil-painting type look, you can prime the areas you would like to paint with some thin layers of acrylic white gesso followed by a light sanding.

If you would like the paint to not penetrate too deep into the wood, I think you could use some acrylic matte medium thinned with water as a sealer (I would test this on scrap--it is likely to raise the grain requiring some additional sanding)

While purchasing the paints, also take a look at some of the mediums available. Some of these will aid in the flow of the paint, or lengthen or shorten the drying time

rauchman said:
Interesting topic.  Can one use Tru Oil as a finish over the paint?

It would be dependent on compatibility. But you can use artists oil paints mixed with Tru oil and achieve a finish although it is a slow process.

stratamania said:
rauchman said:

It would be dependent on compatibility. But you can use artists oil paints mixed with Tru oil and achieve a finish although it is a slow process.

Thank you!

Tru oil will made original colour much darker . better test it before applying on real body

rauchman said:
stratamania said:
rauchman said:

Thank you!

No problem. They both use linseed oil so it is something they have in common.

When I did it I used cadmium red, some tru-oil and white spirit. I don't recall the Tru-Oil making it obviously darker but with lighter less intense colours it is likely. Certainly worth testing on some scrap first though.

I was talk about Water based acrylic as the topic, mix with different kind of clear media or apply  clear media on top of acrylic can made it darker .

artists oil paints as it already be mix with oil , so Tru-Oil as long as it not the yellowish kind , would not darker the colour so obviously.

Back