Warmoth's "Original Floyd Rose".

vikingred

Ok, forgive me, first of all if I'm littering the forums with stupid or newbie questions.  But, I'm working on my "Original Floyd Rose" obtained from Warmoth, and it comes in a Schaller package.  Is Schaller the "real deal" or what?  I'm confused. See:

sW76yfW.jpg

Is it you?  Is it me?  Did I watch too much TV?  Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?

"Original Floyd Rose" is a design, not a manufacturer. Schaller is just one of the manufacturers that makes them. Nice thing about the Schallers is they pay the royalties to Floyd so they can faithfully copy his design. Not everyone does (yeah, I'm looking at you, China!) so you can end up with things that don't necessarily fit or last as long. 

Schaller makes the OFR for Floyd Rose. Schaller also makes a licensed version that is to their own specs.

Cagey said:
"Original Floyd Rose" is a design, not a manufacturer. Schaller is just one of the manufacturers that makes them. Nice thing about the Schallers is they pay the royalties to Floyd so they can faithfully copy his design. Not everyone does (yeah, I'm looking at you, China!) so you can end up with things that don't necessarily fit or last as long.

So if I buy an "Original Floyd Rose" from the Floyd Rose website, I'm getting a Schaller-made Floyd?

From floydrose.com :

As of 2005, distribution of the Floyd Rose Original has reverted to Floyd Rose, while the patented designs are still licensed to other manufacturers for use. To this day, Floyd Rose still contends with the popularity of Floyd’s system juxtaposed with the multitude of imitations, licensed or otherwise, always working to ensure that the name is always associated quality and consistency. The Floyd Rose brand exists now as a division of AP International, under the direction of Andrew Papiccio, former Vice President of Kramer guitars. AP has been dealing with the manufacture, distribution, sales and marketing of musical instruments and accessories on a global scale for over 30 years.

In addition to Floyd Rose, AP is also the distributor ProRock Gear, a diverse source of stylish and durable instrument cases, stands, and other accessories; Brubaker Instruments, manufacturer of the Brute, an extremely unique series of custom electric basses, made from top quality materials and growing rapidly in popularity; Schaller, a company over 60 years old, a pioneer in guitar hardware manufacturing and innovation with a rich history of patents and “world’s firsts”; and KTS America, another greatly admired guitar and bass hardware manufacturer, known for titanium pieces that are vastly stronger than traditional stock hardware.

The real deal "Original" Floyd Rose and the Floyd Rose "Pro" tremolos are made in Germany. The Floyd Rose "Pro" tremolos have a narrower string spacing than the  "Original". I believe you want the "Original". The Floyd Rose "Special" tremolos are made in Korea and are about $80 cheaper.  :party07:

Here is a link to Floyd Rose- http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos

Johnny Roastbeef said:
  The real deal "Original" Floyd Rose and the Floyd Rose "Pro" tremolos are made in Germany. The Floyd Rose "Pro" tremolos have a narrower string spacing than the  "Original". I believe you want the "Original". The Floyd Rose "Special" tremolos are made in Korea and are about $80 cheaper.  :party07:

Schaller is a German Co. as well...
I see it as a bit like the difference between the GMC, and Chevy name plates.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Both are high caliber top notch products(the OFR, I can't speak to Detroit's quality in modern times.)
Both have some different options..... but are basically the same damn thing.

What you have to watch for is Warmoth's rout for the recessed Floyd. It's very close, particularly on the high E side, so you want to use the version they're selling if you want any chance of it fitting. I recently had to rout a 32nd or so of the cavity wall to keep the thing from rubbing. The Pacific Rim replicas won't work at all. They're not far off, and if you're not afraid of the routerbeast, they can be made to work, but they don't work as delivered.

Actually I have to say this is all real and relevant info to me as well.
I am currently researching What the next build parts and pieces are going to be,
and where they are getting ordered from.

sixstringsamurai said:
Johnny Roastbeef said:

Schaller is a German Co. as well...
I see it as a bit like the difference between the GMC, and Chevy name plates.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Both are high caliber top notch products(the OFR, I can't speak to Detroit's quality in modern times.)
Both have some different options..... but are basically the same damn thing.

I am not sure what the OP ordered but if I ordered a Original FR and they sent me a Schaller it would be going back. Just the bottom line imo.

Johnny Roastbeef said:
I am not sure what the OP ordered but if I ordered a Original FR and they sent me a Schaller it would be going back. Just the bottom line imo.

The "Original Floyd Rose" and "Schaller Floyd Rose" are currently both made by Schaller.  As long as the trem you order from Warmoth has the same name as the route you ordered for the body, you'll be fine.

Pelagaard said:
Johnny Roastbeef said:

The "Original Floyd Rose" and "Schaller Floyd Rose" are currently both made by Schaller.  As long as the trem you order from Warmoth has the same name as the route you ordered for the body, you'll be fine.

:icon_thumright:
Six of one......

Well, just to be specific, when ordering from Warmoth, if you order either an "Original Floyd Rose" or a "Schaller Floyd Rose Licensed" you will receive the same white "Schaller" labeled bag containing whichever unit you ordered.

Their routing dimensions do differ slightly, so it is important to take that into consideration when planning a build, or a replacement of the trem.

The "OFR" uses much longer string lock screws: http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/parts/original-series/string-lock-screws  than the Schaller.
The "Schaller" uses string locks that are not only shorter, but proportioned thicker at the point that it contacts the fine tuner.

Some of these parts are interchangeable, but if ordering the unit for a "drop in" application, these details are important to consider.

The "OFR" uses hardened knife edges to contact the mounting post.
The "Schaller" uses "inserts".

Schaller makes ALL of the 'real' Floyds. What everybody calls the "Schaller" Floyd is actually the Floyd II, which Floyd discontinued many years ago. Schaller is still using Floyd patent licensing to produce this.
The difference is the base plate, it's cast on the II, with hardened inserts for the pivot points.

The base plate is the dividing factor for many folks.  Some feel that the machined steel of the "OFR" trumps the quality of the cast material of the "licensed".  Both are made in the same facility though.

The exception being the Schaller Lockmeister which I believe has the same dimensions as an OFR.

Cagey said:
What you have to watch for is Warmoth's rout for the recessed Floyd. It's very close, particularly on the high E side, so you want to use the version they're selling if you want any chance of it fitting. I recently had to rout a 32nd or so of the cavity wall to keep the thing from rubbing. The Pacific Rim replicas won't work at all. They're not far off, and if you're not afraid of the routerbeast, they can be made to work, but they don't work as delivered.

I just finished a Canary Strat build, recessed FR rout, plenty of room on left and right both sharp and flat.

I'm sure the vast majority of them are fine, or Warmoth would be catching hell about it. I know I've built more than a few without any problem. But, it is a very close clearance. The one I have of my own here clears all the way around, but on one side only has about .005" gap. If the mounting post was off by just a hair, it would be hitting.

Back