Warmoth vs Gibson?

Since the gibson LP sound is so varied by year and spec, yes, you can get in that spectrum with your warmoth.

Just spec it like a gibson and you're good to go.

For me, the magic is when you mix and match specs to blur the fender/gibson line. Warmoth is great for that.

My latest is a hybrid like that, and by far the best guitar I've ever played. It kinda has a prs vibe to the look, but that's it.

Headstock issue? That’s true of any tiltbaclk headstock. I never hear Martin, Gretsch, Guild, Heritage etc.
You don't hear about it because they don't have the same issue. Gibsons have a more steep angle at the headstock than most AND refuse to use a volute or the separate headstock like the Warmoth headstock (which is also a shallower angle.)

Also most of those are acoustic guitar companies and they are much less popular than electric guitars.

Also... acoustic guitars don't need a cord to be used... I have no data but I'd wager guitars plugged in in stands is a significant chunk of headstock injuries

Don't forget scarf joints and splines make for a stronger tilt back neck.

That said, I am more than happy with my Gibson Les Paul.

Late to the party, but I've owned several LP's and other Gibsons, and of course I've built many guitars from Warmoth parts.

I have never played a guitar from any other brand that felt like a Gibson to me. Gibsons just have this thing that even straight up knock-offs never seem to capture. It's the sum total of the way they feel and resonate and smell and sound and look....with all the outdated design choices and construction techniques thrown in as well. All that stuff combines to make the Gibson playing experience unique.

But if we're just talking sound then YES, you can easily buy or build a guitar that sounds essentially the same as an LP. And building something that sounds the same but doesn't have to lug around the Gibson baggage (weak headstocks, terrible balance and ergonomics, awful headstock design, tuning issues, etc) can be a real benefit.

I really love the videos Aaron has made over the years to compare various specs to see what the differences are. I also love the videos Jim Lill has made that take it even further.

The only thing you are missing with a Warmoth build of Gibson style are the logo, the mojo and the neck joint. As long as you like everything else about the Warmoth build (neck profile, specific frets, specific neck angle, finishes, etc.) I’d design your ultimate guitar and enjoy it. The standard bolt on neck joint is definitely not as good as a modern joint, but compared to the old style glued in neck joint it’s about equal for me.

I have always played Gibson type semihollow guitars. My 1st experience with fender type guitars was when I built my 1st warmoth. I have a ebony/ebony vintage modern 25.5 scale neck that I just swapped out of a thinline for a Gibson conversion neck (roasted maple/indian Rosewood. Of course there are a lot of variables there , length, core, fretboard... anyway, the 25.5 has noticeably more brightness, ring, I am stumbling for the right words; the Gibson scale is more comfortable in my hands.

Sometimes it's a long journey to find what suits one. To each their own. My journey took me to the warmoth wide Wolfgang necks with a fender scale with the gibson necks being cramped.

Last edited:
How close is close, and to which era of Gibson?
My ESP HSS Strat-a-likes sound closer to a 'golden era' Les Paul (on the bucker), than my mates 2003 Les Paul, however, my Tokai Japan Les Paul-a-like sounds almost exactly like one - as close as my R9 does.

Actually, that'd be my recommendation - drop a couple of grand on a top end Japanese Tokai (LS196 or higher). All the pros of a Gibson, with none of the cons.

@somebodyelseuk Based on what I have heard the Tokai versions are great, however could you elaborate on "with none of the cons of Gibson" with some examples? Thx!
Yeah... I should have put 'none of the cons' in quotation marks, since I've never had any issues with my Gibsons, to be honest.
I have a theory that all the internet warriors who complain about Gibson QC, and the "not staying in tune" thing, bought Chinese knockoffs and don't realise it... and you know how myths spread on the 'net... I've never broken a head of anything, either.
I've played some god-awful Les Pauls that were made in the late 70s and 80s, but the recent stuff...? Like with Fender, you dreamed of them being as "bad" as they are today, back then.

I'd recommend the Tokai over the Gibson USA production stuff, simply because you're getting a Les Paul-a-like that's built the way Gibson Custom does - long tenon, bridge directly mounted to the top, etc - for a few thousand less.

Back