Warmoth virgin; my first project!

Orpheo

after having played strats, tele's, sg's, v's, and es335's for years, I decided it was time for change. A les paul was what I needed. so, I bought a gibson. then a PRS. And now, a warmoth will combine those 2 in 1 guitar! well, actually, 2 guitars. I really liked a showcase body, so I decided to go with that one too!

Allrighty then, and now let's cut the crap.

I'm a les Paul-aficionado and I ordered number 12 and 13. the rouse was just so some guys wouldn't be upset with me having 13 warmoth les pauls (and 19, 20 in total  :laughing7: )

I ordered my singlepiece flamed maple top les paul last june, and in july I thought, lets buy the sibling of my crimsons and my purpleheart les paul! my crimsons have the following structures. padouk BACK, wenge top. Purpleheart BACK, rosewood top. My warmoth has a purpleheart TOP on a rosewood back, so it would be just logical to get a padouk TOP wenge BACK les paul! so, I did. the neck is padouk, the fingerboard ebony, with, ofcourse, cross inlay.

I asked warmoth to have them shipped just after my holiday, no biggy. But, the day before I left, I saw that awesome, lovely, singlepiece quilt top on singlepiece mahogany, in tigereye burst. I just had to have that one, as a sibling for my singlepiece flamed maple. The singlepiece flamed maple's neck is a wenge/ebony neck. that one will go to the quilt top, and I ordered a purpleheart neck to go with the flametop. Purpleheart is just great for necks, together with bubinga, wenge and padouk.

And finally, I got my quantumview mail!  Tomorrow, my parts will arrive. There's a lot of woodwork to be done, cause I decided I don't want that minihumbucker afterall. I'll take a dremel and route it out for a regular humbucker. Same for the flametop, by the way. it just looks wrong.

anyway, now you guys know :) tomorrow: PICS! NEW GUITARS! and at the end of the week, I hope, a new mesa mark 5 (old mark4 out, new mark 5 in).

Mesa Mark 5, able to afford 20 guitars of exotic wood.....mmmmm are you dealing in drugs or gun running Orph? Or are you that guy from Microsoft (sorry for the swearing) who buys Hendrix guitars for a million?

You are making my ambitions weep, Orpheo!  :sad:

Hi guys, sorry for not having tuned in since 2 days ago...I have some bad news.

UPS ships so darn fast, the Dutch customs didn't even have time to declare the parts! so this morning I got a notificiation: out for delivery. YAY  :hello2:

but during my coffeebreak I read in the tracking: there's been an exeption, or something like that.

To make a long story short: no parts today. maybe its a good thing cause for the first time in WEEKS its a sunny day. No good idea to lock myself up at home with parts, right?! The customs took out the package when it was almost in the truck! I'm kinda pissed at them, but ey, thats the way it works, or has to work.

My job: I have a moderate salary, but my monthly rent isn't that much (550 euro's, downtown Amsterdam, for 65 square meters!), and I split the costs between me and my girlfriend. Here, we have a subsidiary for people who rent a home, but don't have much money. meaning, I get 272 euro's for free by the state, just because I 'need' a home :)

The idea was to trade the mark4 I have for the 5, and pay some money ofcourse. But the more I read about the 5, the more I play my good 'ol 4, the less I think I 'need' the 5. maybe in 10 years when the 5 will be sold second hand for dirt cheap (when the rage of having a 100 watt singlechannel marshall goes up again, haha). in the mean time? no new amp. why should I? I have an engl special edition, mesa mark 4, rivera m100, marshall plexi.. what should I add to the mix?! a rectumfrier? fender twin? soldano SLO? nah. Its okay right now. I was eyeballing the VHT 30 watt pittbull, which is still on sale here, but on second thought, why? that old-school crunchy thing is what the 2nd channel on the mark4 is all about! that flat, dull clean tone? thats what uhm... no amp of mine is about (perhaps the marshall? :p haha)

so, no amp right now. no need.

So basically, you pay 3 Euros a month rent??  That's not a bad gig if you can get it...  Maybe the Dutch government is willing to give me a hand with my mortgage!?

elgravos said:
So basically, you pay 3 Euros a month rent??  That's not a bad gig if you can get it...  Maybe the Dutch government is willing to give me a hand with my mortgage!?

no, only I get the subsidiary. the rentprice is without electricity and gas,  so I still pay a grand total of 180 euro's a month, excluding food, haha.

well, the dutch government DOES help with mortgages. I don't know how other governments do it, and call it, but here is how it goes in the Netherlands.

Your mortgage is seen as a debt, witn a specific amount of interest, for each year. You pay that interest, but you can get that back (or deduct that from your tax admission), which can help enormously for people who go to the homebusiness the first time.

On topic: my parts are IN. I already oiled the first les paul, rerouted 2 pickup cavities (burned out 2 dremel bits: maple's hard, man!), installed the tuners, installed and soldered the pickups, installed the strapbuttons, potknobs, trussrodcovers...

and sure I did other stuff. All I have to do now, is cut the nuts! I bought a set of files and brass nutblanks, and I need to shape them, and cut them. one is virtually done, the other needs to be a bit lower.

I won't post pics right now, my computer is a bit sluggish. But I can tell you: they're NICEEEE!!! and the padouk body is the heaviest body I've EVER had. Darn it! :D but they're both killer looking.

Sounds like a beautiful guitar orpheo...

I can only imagine your apartment looks something like this.
slash.jpg

180 Euros... well I guess that's one less neck for you each month!  Small price to pay.

Mortgage interest is also tax deductible in the US, for which I am very grateful.  If they took that away - which you hear whispers about every now and then - we'd all be pretty much bankrupt.

More sort of on topic: I take it those crimsons were finished eventually.  Did you post pics on this forum or do we need to go elsewhere to check those out?  They were looking pretty cool in the early stages.

Cheers.

elgravos said:
180 Euros... well I guess that's one less neck for you each month!  Small price to pay.

Mortgage interest is also tax deductible in the US, for which I am very grateful.  If they took that away - which you hear whispers about every now and then - we'd all be pretty much bankrupt.

More sort of on topic: I take it those crimsons were finished eventually.  Did you post pics on this forum or do we need to go elsewhere to check those out?  They were looking pretty cool in the early stages.

Cheers.

cool you talk about the crimsons. they're not nearly finished. Just an hour ago, the luthier and I decided to get rid of these fretboards, and make new ones, with new inlay. To be exact, I'm going to have all the Starship Enterprise as inlay on one, and all the star trek insignia's on the other. I'm a major fan of star trek, and I really want that to be on the guitars. it will take at least another 9 months or so, but thats worth it for me, in the end. in the mean time, i'll save up for uhm... a mesa mark 5!!!!!!!

ps: pics later tonight! just be patient. ;) :D

Hey man, totally badass guitars, but I'm wondering why do you need that many Les Pauls? Is it just an addiction you have or do you play them all? I'm just being curious here, no offense :eek:ccasion14:.

exaN said:
Hey man, totally badass guitars, but I'm wondering why do you need that many Les Pauls? Is it just an addiction you have or do you play them all? I'm just being curious here, no offense :eek:ccasion14:.

solid question!

for starters, I am a collector, and I am fond of nice woods. I like guitars, so its an easy match, right? But I don't like any other guitar except les pauls, so, I choose les pauls. Not only that, but I also like to have my guitars in pairs. 2 singlepiece maple top les pauls, 2 exotics, 2 purple guitars, 2 sunburst, etc etc. Perhaps weird, but thats the way it works with me.

some guys have 10, 15 strats, and people don't find it strange that they have that many strats, eventhough the variation there is much less great (body: alder or ash, fingerboard: maple or rosewood!). Here, I have 3 unique species as top and as back, not to mention 4 unique woods for the necks. Or even for telecasters, same thing.

Hey, I think it's great. I'm sort of the same way. If I'm going to have another guitar, it better not be like one I already have. I made that mistake with my first paycheck, buying a Schecter Blackjack ATX. Total metal guitar, and too similar to my Godin Freeway EMG series.

Personally, I say multiple guitars are for multiple tunings, and you need 2 in whatever you play as "standard" (hopefully standard, drop tunings are dreadful)

On a semi-related note, do all of those LP's have the heel comfort cut? And is is possible to get a LP body WITHOUT the comfort cut? I used to follow the crowd with the whole "YARG! That heel be too big!" stuff, but lately I found that it doesn't effect my playing at all, and I think a thicker heel would be structurally stronger...

I don't think I've said this before Orpheo, but I hate you.  You are the devil.  You and your gorgeous guitars.  I hate you.  :icon_jokercolor:

Paul-less said:
Hey, I think it's great. I'm sort of the same way. If I'm going to have another guitar, it better not be like one I already have. I made that mistake with my first paycheck, buying a Schecter Blackjack ATX. Total metal guitar, and too similar to my Godin Freeway EMG series.

Personally, I say multiple guitars are for multiple tunings, and you need 2 in whatever you play as "standard" (hopefully standard, drop tunings are dreadful)

On a semi-related note, do all of those LP's have the heel comfort cut? And is is possible to get a LP body WITHOUT the comfort cut? I used to follow the crowd with the whole "YARG! That heel be too big!" stuff, but lately I found that it doesn't effect my playing at all, and I think a thicker heel would be structurally stronger...

all of them have the easy heel, yeah, but that heel is already so darned thick, to have it not cut, would be just foolish I think, cause its really too bulky without. on a strat, it doesn't really matter imho, but on a lester, it does.

did you guys see this pic, by the way?

2010-09-25155802.jpg

Wow, beautiful collection Orpheo. Especially the black died with the tremolo. Is that a Wilkinson?

nexrex said:
Wow, beautiful collection Orpheo. Especially the black died with the tremolo. Is that a Wilkinson?

actually, its a purplemist burst ;) :) And no, its not a wilkinson, its a hipshot :) that one was my first warmoth!

Back