Warmoth stories, myths, and folklore.

1.). Saw a guy playing one.  Strat with quilted maple top, Wilkinson trem, 3 tone burst, flame maple neck with side adjust, black pearl guard, black pickups.

Me:  Hey is that Warmoth?

Him:  Yes.

Me:  Assemble it yourself?

Him:  No.  I bought it in Seattle at their custom shop store.

Me:  ?

2.) A Warmoth Gibson style V on Craigslist.  It was assembled by their custom shop and is very high dollar.  The neck heel even has their original price.  A pic is showing 1.625.  To me, that is a nut width of 1 5/8", not a pricetag of $1,625.

I bought a Warmoth V on ebay. The seller was a Goodwill shop, IIRC.  When I got the guitar, it had a person's name on it.  I found the guy online, (he's a slightly famous photographer in some circles) and he says that his mom bought it for him, that she knows guys at Warmoth who put it together for her.

So I think the guys there sometimes put guitars together for their friends. I'm sure if that gets around the grapevine, it can turn into "Warmoth's custom shop."

I should sell that guitar, 'cause I hardly ever play it (don't like the feel of the neck) but the pickups are messed up so I can't. It's the weirdest thing: they're active pickups, and  treble side produces no sound, even if you lower the strings/raise the pickups.

During the short year that I was there, you'd be surprised at how some folks would submit their "custom body shape" ala crayon on a brown paper bag, no specs, dimensions, etc... 

Needless to say, the website is pretty clear on the degree of detail that needs to be included with such submissions.

Jet-Jaguar said:
I bought a Warmoth V on ebay. The seller was a Goodwill shop, IIRC.  When I got the guitar, it had a person's name on it.  I found the guy online, (he's a slightly famous photographer in some circles) and he says that his mom bought it for him, that she knows guys at Warmoth who put it together for her.

So I think the guys there sometimes put guitars together for their friends. I'm sure if that gets around the grapevine, it can turn into "Warmoth's custom shop."

I should sell that guitar, 'cause I hardly ever play it (don't like the feel of the neck) but the pickups are messed up so I can't. It's the weirdest thing: they're active pickups, and  treble side produces no sound, even if you lower the strings/raise the pickups.

Just to clarify, Warmoth does not assemble guitars for anyone, ever.

Jet-Jaguar said:
double A said:
You know, that's just what a Secret Warmoth Awesome Guitar (SWAG) shop employee would say.
;)

It's just a fact. They have licensing agreements with various manufacturers that prevent them from building guitars of any type. They're purely a replacement parts supplier. If they were to offer complete instruments, it would be the end of their business. 

Cagey said:
Jet-Jaguar said:
double A said:
You know, that's just what a Secret Warmoth Awesome Guitar (SWAG) shop employee would say.
;)

It's just a fact. They have licensing agreements with various manufacturers that prevent them from building guitars of any type. They're purely a replacement parts supplier. If they were to offer complete instruments, it would be the end of their business.
But there is a "Custom shop"...however they don't "assemble...build"....to my knowlage.. :icon_biggrin:

True enough. But, you really gotta want them to do the work. I've asked for a couple of quotes on some things that weren't too far off the reservation and the cost was scary. The only conclusion was "we don't wanna do it, but if you really have a hard-on..."

They do excellent work, so if you want something done right, that's the place to go. But, they're clearly not interested in doing custom work.

Cagey said:
True enough. But, you really gotta want them to do the work. I've asked for a couple of quotes on some things that weren't too far off the reservation and the cost was scary. The only conclusion was "we don't wanna do it, but if you really have a hard-on..."

They do excellent work, so if you want something done right, that's the place to go. But, they're clearly not interested in doing custom work.
true...it will cost $$$$$$ for the work..

Recently with the introduction of roasted maple, a well known player got to see the factory that does the roasting of the wood supplied to Warmoth.

Prior to them being put in the oven, they are coated with genuine Maple Syrup for extra pancake mojo, with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

All of this was well known until it was revealed that the process was stringently supervised by small elves from Atlantis.

Well, we know they don't assemble finished instruments or even call them kits, and the employees will reiterate it, and we've seen or atleast heard of the agreement, however this is stories, folklore, and myths.  When we know they don't, and can't, do it and someone swears up and down to me not only do they do it,they have a freestanding retail location in a city doing it, well, all I could do was share it for a laugh.

I put in several years at Krispy Kreme when I was going through college.  The amount of people that swore their mama's best dinner to me that they bought long-johns there last week or at another store were too frequent.
KK only makes round donuts.  Seriously the hardware that they use only allows it.  I'd explain how the donut extruder works, but it's a trade secret, so I won't. Just trust me, you won't get a long-john from them.  Go somewhere else.

Back