Warmoth parts came today. Not very satisfied with locking nut shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cederick

EDIT!!!! Toning down the "tone" in my message, I was overly outraged at first.

I opened the boxes and I IMMIDIATLY noticed that the Floyd Shelves was too high, just by looking at them.

The Floyd shelves on both my previous Warmoth necks has been about 5mm which is perfect, because that leaves room for simply adding a thin shim to get PERFECT low action...

But the new three necks are completely different. They are 4mm deep. That's too high!

Why did Warmoth change this

I never had that issue with Warmoth before.

(it's not meant to be "0." in the measurements, its supposed to be 4mm and 5mm)
262s55h.jpg

5ehdeg.jpg

2wnzak1.jpg

Warmoth should KNOW what the height of a OFR nut is, and they CANNOT expect every customer to be able to lower a floyd shelf themselves, it's actually a quite intricate operation, that I will not do myself.

Why?!?  :sad1: 

EDIT UPDATE:
I have now contacted a couple of luthiers, and one has responded and might help me out with the floyd shelf.
But nothing can be done about the frets tho... except refret...

I tried a string on just to be sure and oh yeah, the string hangs in high up in the air above the fret.
These necks will be abosolutely UNPLAYABLE without further modification.

Why didn't Warmoth make it more clear that they made changes like this in the design? :(

That sucks. Have you contacted Warmoth?

(By the way, I think you mean that the old shelves were 5 mm, and the new ones are 4 mm. Not 0,5 and 0,4)

Logrinn said:
That sucks. Have you contacted Warmoth?

(By the way, I think you mean that the old shelves were 5 mm, and the new ones are 4 mm. Not 0,5 and 0,4)

Thing is, I wouldn't be so greatly dissapointed if I haven't recieved flawless necks before; but I did. Two of them even.
I could just shim the saddle with a 0.1mm shim ( :icon_thumright: ) and get rocking.

But this will put me in the position that I HAVE to send the necks to a luthier or whatever, who can then lower the shelves... Which also is a risk of screwing up the necks if the luthier doesn't know what he's doing.
I really have to say it has to be 100% horizontal. I don't wanna have to put small shims on the sides to make the action even, because I've had issues with the nut sticking into place because of that.

The complete guitar in the pictures needed to be "side shimmed" when I was to PLEK to have it setup, and that locking nut didn't stay in place after a divebomb, so I had to SUPERGLUE it. Now it's going to be a pain to get off if I ever need it...

WHAT?! Warmoth has even changed the fret end angle!  :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:
I loved the old one, it gave a lot of extra space for the high and low strings.
And if somebody wanted more angle, it was possible to fix that.

But you can unfix THIS!

2ahwgud.jpg

The body looks alright, even tho it has some light "orange peel" , but that's nothing I really care about, even tho I want to point it out because the finish is not perfect really. But yeah, I can live with that without a problem. It looks good enough from a distance.

BUT! The posts are actually not on the same "length", they differ just a 0.1mm or so.
This may not matter in practice (I'm sure it will be fully functional), but I still wanted to point it out.
Hopefully it's just a crooked cavity wall.

2q1donb.jpg

2rrl4cm.jpg

The floyd shelf depth and the fret end angle is a real deal breaker for me.
I'm not ordering any more Warmoth parts unless they go back to how it used to be. :(

Re: Nut shelf.
The measurements you are showing are centimetres. .4cm or .5cm. OR: 4mm, 5mm whichever way you wish to quote. (10 mm makes up 1 cm) .4mm or .5mm are tiny....

Re: Holes & Cavity spaces. Can you dry fit a bridge & see how that fits.  :dontknow:

Re: Fret dressing angle. Warmoth's website shows the angle to be 30 degrees. Are yours more than that?
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Fretwork.aspx

Re-Pete said:
The measurements you are showing are centimetres. .4cm or .5cm. OR: 4mm, 5mm whichever way you wish to quote. (10 mm makes up 1 cm) .4mm or .5mm are tiny....

Re: Holes & Cavity spaces. Can you dry fit a bridge & see how that fits.  :dontknow:

Re: Fret dressing angle. Warmoth's website shows the angle to be 30 degrees. Are yours more than that?

Yes, I did write it wrong.

I haven't recieved the Floyd from the parts supplier yet.

Regarding fret end angle, my old necks did NOT have so much angle, they weren't "square" but they sure had al ot more space. Look on the comparison picture above to see how much difference there is.

I would just contact them, return them and let them take a look.  You are a repeat customer who just bought multiple necks, I am sure that they will make things right.

lafromla1 said:
I would just contact them, return them and let them take a look.  You are a repeat customer who just bought multiple necks, I am sure that they will make things right.

It's expensive to send back and fourth from Sweden... If I sent it back I would probably have to pay another $300 or so in import customs when they return it. NOT worth it.

I have already contacted a luthier about lowering the shelves for me. I never had to do that in the past... :(

Just asking out of interest. When you got the previous necks did you also order a locking nut at the same time ?

I'm just wondering if when Warmoth are not supplying the nuts whether a little more shelf is left for the purposes of adjustment.

Cederick said:
lafromla1 said:

It's expensive to send back and fourth from Sweden... If I sent it back I would probably have to pay another $300 or so in import customs when they return it. NOT worth it.

I have already contacted a luthier about lowering the shelves for me. I never had to do that in the past... :(

If it is truly an error on Warmoth's part, I would expect them to foot the bill for the return.

stratamania said:
Just asking out of interest. When you got the previous necks did you also order a locking nut at the same time ?

I'm just wondering if when Warmoth are not supplying the nuts whether a little more shelf is left for the purposes of adjustment.

First time, yes.

Second time, no.

Both had low enough to make it easy to adjust height by shimming.

lafromla1 said:
Cederick said:
lafromla1 said:

If it is truly an error on Warmoth's part, I would expect them to foot the bill for the return.

I don't trust sending back to them and getting it back in a decent timeframe, I've heard many stories about people getting flawed/incorrect guitars (not talking Warmoth or partscasters now) and have to wait for MONTHS before getting their stuff back.

Therefor I rather trust a swedish luthier that I can travel to and get it fixed in an hour, and then go back and have it all done in the very same day.

Cederick,

I would strongly suggest if you are sure that the lock nut shelf is to shallow to contact sales@warmoth.com. Send us a couple of photos so we can see what your seeing. If we indeed did cut the lock nut to shallow we will take care of you in a timely manner. We would rather have the opportunity to correct this as we have seen many necks ruined by many so called "Luthiers". I'm not saying your local guy can't do it or is incompetent but if it is something we missed or did incorrectly we will take care of you.

Best regards,

Sean

Cederick said:
WHAT?! Warmoth has even changed the fret end angle!  :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:
I loved the old one, it gave a lot of extra space for the high and low strings.
And if somebody wanted more angle, it was possible to fix that.

But you can unfix THIS!

2ahwgud.jpg

Cederick, That does look unusual. Not sure what it's all about. I do know that the neck I got from Warmoth in March does not have the frets cut like that. My new neck and all previous W necks had fret ends cut similar to the one in the picture on the left. I believe I would be complaining if my new neck had arrived with frets cut that way.

I would contact Warmoth and ask what & why. Even if you don't want to return them I would let them know about the issues. I can't blame you for being upset. Especially if some of the parts are for friends who you probably had to convince to order Warmoth parts as they are supposed to be so much better than others and have always been correct in your earlier orders.

Wish I had an answer for you but all I can say is the parts you guys picked look great. Not counting the fore-mentioned problems of course.
:rock-on:

Cederick said:
stratamania said:

First time, yes.

Second time, no.

Both had low enough to make it easy to adjust height by shimming.

Just been driving for a few hours. Well that is a theory that seems a no go. Anyhow I see in an earlier post a Warmoth employee has reached out to you to contact sales so they can sort it out. Which is a good thing.

Cederick said:
Re-Pete said:

Yes, I did write it wrong.

I haven't recieved the Floyd from the parts supplier yet.

Regarding fret end angle, my old necks did NOT have so much angle, they weren't "square" but they sure had al ot more space. Look on the comparison picture above to see how much difference there is.

Re: Fret angle. If that information about the 30 degree angle was listed before you bought last neck, maybe you were in error by not checking updated details before ordering? It does say on that page that if you want it left as is, they will accept that option if you tell them. And yep, I looked at your photographs and the angle looks about 30 degrees on the new neck. I also checked my Warmoth necks on the 3 projects I built up. All old style (squared off) but these projects were done several years ago.

Like others, I recommend getting in contact with Warmoth and see what can be done. The Floyd shelf issue is one thing they may address, but it may seem that you were in error with the fret angle issue.... You don't expect them to refret if it's your mistake surely?

This is the BIGGEST issue!

The floyd shelves are fixable.

This is NOT.

In the past I always had about 2mm spacing before fret ends, which is OK, it works for me (even tho I prefer something like 4mm spacing like I have on one of my other guitars)

But 1.4mm is WAY too close to the edge. It will cause string occasional slippage.
I know this because I had a luthier refret one of my guitars a couple of years back ,and he rounded off the edges so it was about 1.5mm and I slipped off all the time. I had to buy a new bridge with closer string spacing but then I didn't like how it played... It's okay, but it's not a guitar I play regularly anyway, so...
91j57o.jpg

2912wb7.jpg

Cederick said:
This is the BIGGEST issue!

The floyd shelves are fixable.

This is NOT.

In the past I always had about 2mm spacing before fret ends, which is OK, it works for me (even tho I prefer something like 4mm spacing like I have on one of my other guitars)

But 1.4mm is WAY too close to the edge. It will cause string occasional slippage.
I know this because I had a luthier refret one of my guitars a couple of years back ,and he rounded off the edges so it was about 1.5mm and I slipped off all the time. I had to buy a new bridge with closer string spacing but then I didn't like how it played... It's okay, but it's not a guitar I play regularly anyway, so...

It comes down to whether Warmoth want to fix something that is not possibly their fault. The information about the frets was there to see. It's just a case of whether that information was put up before you made the order, but,  I'm guessing it would have gone up the day they changed their angles for the frets.

I don't know what you can do BUT contact Warmoth and see if they will take the neck back, if it is a non-negotiable issue with you. It seems like it is.

Informing people about your experiences with projects is usually a good thing. However,  posting negative threads like this, could make you lose face when the biggest issue - as you say it is - turns out to be possibly your own fault.

Good luck getting this matter resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back